Here’s one piece of MCAT advice I wish someone gave me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

It’s a little known secret advice...

And the advice is..... DO NOT give AAMC permission to let other institutions contact you. My inbox got flooded with emails and I only got a 511.

EDIT: If it’s not obvious, I’m trying to be funny. But I’m also serious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
:rofl:

Made the same mistake. Also made it again registering for the GRE when I was panicking and thinking I wasn't going to get into any med school this cycle. I cancelled the GRE after I got an acceptance and I still get a ton of professional health program emails, even without a GRE score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A "basement-tier" master's program is anyone sending me an email from an "institution" that doesn't even have any evidence of legitimate facilities or programs and is engaging in borderline fraudulent, predatory advertising.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Agree...places that would never even take my Canadian application are flooding my mailbox. Screw you Case

Reactions: 6 users
Agree...places that would never even take my Canadian application are flooding my mailbox. Screw you Case

Yeah! Esp since I got the axe from them 3 months ago and now they're trying to recruit me as an anesthesiology assistant?! :mad:
Especially salty about this one

Reactions: 8 users
At least they aren't sending you info about podiatry schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
TU is not remotely slick.

...thanks for the MD reject

Attachments

• IMG_9404.PNG
    IMG_9404.PNG
    486.4 KB · Views: 331
You have no idea how much internal validation I get when I make a post and so many people agree :D

If you think that's bad, my own undergraduate school sent me emails to apply there throughout my freshman and sophomore years at the damn school, I had half a mind to email them saying I freaking go here already!!!! :confused::bang:

Reactions: 3 users
If only I knew that option meant "we will happily shill your score to WHOEVER WANTS IT." With all due respect I'm not applying to pod school or basement-tier master's programs with a friggin 518
I have every DO school in the country still trying to recruit me. And no, I didn't apply DO. But they all know my MCAT score.

I don't think they get to see your MCAT score, only that you have taken the MCAT. So every program is going to spam you because they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Way to belittle an entire profession who are going to be your future physician peers. Maybe that’s why Temple rejected you.

If only I knew that option meant "we will happily shill your score to WHOEVER WANTS IT." With all due respect I'm not applying to pod school or basement-tier master's programs with a friggin 518

Reactions: 2 users
a 511 is within range for almost every school and way above for all DO schools so of course they want you to pay their application fee, even if your chances of getting in aren't better than anyone elses

I honestly would hate to be your classmate.

*With all due respect

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think they get to see your MCAT score, only that you have taken the MCAT. So every program is going to spam you because they can.

They can see your mcat score. I got an email from the military scholarship program stating that my mcat score of a 519 meant I was a strong candidate for their program etc.

I have nothing against the military emails though as I think informing people of ways to serve their country is a good thing.

I got the military emails but without a specific score mentioned so that's weird. I did get a bunch of podiatry schools which I never even knew was a thing before haha and a few DO and one MD/PhD program. I definitely regret checking that box just due to all the spam mail. This thread should seriously be stickied.

They can see your mcat score. I got an email from the military scholarship program stating that my mcat score of a 519 meant I was a strong candidate for their program etc.

I have nothing against the military emails though as I think informing people of ways to serve their country is a good thing.

That's strange. I thought you had to disclose your MCAT score to the schools your only applying to. Guess maybe not.

I got the military emails but without a specific score mentioned so that's weird. I did get a bunch of podiatry schools which I never even knew was a thing before haha and a few DO and one MD/PhD program. I definitely regret checking that box just due to all the spam mail. This thread should seriously be stickied.

I get E-mails from everything. Literally everything. Now I know why.

I honestly would hate to be your classmate.

*With all due respect

The best thing about saying that is no one ever specifies the respect due. Could be none.

But you're right, we should be grateful to be slammed with shameless advertising immediately after shelling out hundreds of dollars for a commercialized exam. My mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Lol I'm surprised I don't get more messages from MD programs. There are better MCAT scores but mine's fine for MD

I think the worst part is when the MED SCHOOLS send you spam email about their other programs, such as Master’s in Bioethics etc. It’s annoying because 1) obviously if I would have liked to do that master’s I would have taken the GRE, not the MCAT and 2) it’s almost like they’re saying “you probably want med school but have you seen this master’s program?!” Are. You. Kidding. Me. :penguin:

Reactions: 5 users
I think the worst part is when the MED SCHOOLS send you spam email about their other programs, such as Master’s in Bioethics etc. It’s annoying because 1) obviously if I would have liked to do that master’s I would have taken the GRE, not the MCAT and 2) it’s almost like they’re saying “you probably want med school but have you seen this master’s program?!” Are. You. Kidding. Me. :penguin:

Given that almost every single one of the masters programs we have gotten emails about do sub the mcat instead of the GRE, I don't think that's a valid argument

My only "useful" communication from there was the recruitment letter from Wash U based on my MCAT score... the same Wash U whom I have not heard a peep from since submitting in July.......... :rolleyes:

Just chiming in to say I approve of the Scumbag Steve revival that’s happening here

I'm expecting to hear back from a school any day now and this week especially I'm getting the LECOM and Podiatry school emails!!! I'm loosing my mind! The amount of times my heart has gone from 0-100 because of these people adding to my inbox is insane!

I'm expecting to hear back from a school any day now and this week especially I'm getting the LECOM and Podiatry school emails!!! I'm loosing my mind! The amount of times my heart has gone from 0-100 because of these people adding to my inbox is insane!

I contacted AMCAS like a week into applications and set up a new email for it the first time that happened. Way too much of a buzzkill.

How do we know if we checked that box? I'm trying to think of when I would have and I can't remember doing anything either way.

How do we know if we checked that box? I'm trying to think of when I would have and I can't remember doing anything either way.
Don't start trying to remember your MCAT day. Your brain repressed that for a reason.

Don't start trying to remember your MCAT day. Your brain repressed that for a reason.
All I remember was having an orgo heavy CP, panicking and wanting to void during CARS, and chilling during PS. The rest is a blur.

QFT although another piece of "advice" I now recall is the instruction page before every section is basically an infinite break.

Heck guys I'm still getting emails from Kaplan asking when I am taking the MCAT again

Well, on the positive side because I checked that box I was invited to apply to Loyola University Stritch school of medicine as an URM, and they automatically waived my 95 dollar secondary app fee. Though I never heard back from them since October lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I must say, all the emails inviting me to apply to Caribbean schools and podiatry school are infinitely less depressing when they show up in my inbox now that I finally have an acceptance in hand!

If I recall correctly, it’s when you sign up for the MCAT that they give you the option to check that box.

QFT although another piece of "advice" I now recall is the instruction page before every section is basically an infinite break.
Pro tip: If you take an awful picture during the security screening, you can laugh in horror every time it pops up between sections

How do you only get 1 acceptance with that high of a score. I've been noticing a lot of people with signatures with around 1-3 acceptances with great scores. I don't understand.

How do you only get 1 acceptance with that high of a score. I've been noticing a lot of people with signatures with around 1-3 acceptances with great scores. I don't understand.

Have you seen their personalities LOL the page is kinda arrogant and filled with WHAT SOUNDS LIKE ( only appears that way I don't know you all) entitled premeds for example : "With all due respect I'm not applying to pod school or basement-tier master's programs with a friggin 518" well good for you, you got a 518 then go become a MD and let the pod and SMP kids do their thing.

I'm only commenting for you because you seemed somewhat interested, if you were sarcastic my apologies normally I'd ignore this kind of page due to the lack of humbleness and increased level of arrogance, it annoys me since we are all supposed to be going into this for a specific reason not "I got a 511/518 I shouldn't have to settle" no get in and go where you do and learn all you can enough said and HUMBLE UP! you will need it

Have you seen their personalities LOL the page is kinda arrogant and filled with WHAT SOUNDS LIKE ( only appears that way I don't know you all) entitled premeds for example : "With all due respect I'm not applying to pod school or basement-tier master's programs with a friggin 518" well good for you, you got a 518 then go become a MD and let the pod and SMP kids do their thing.

I'm only commenting for you because you seemed somewhat interested, if you were sarcastic my apologies normally I'd ignore this kind of page due to the lack of humbleness and increased level of arrogance, it annoys me since we are all supposed to be going into this for a specific reason not "I got a 511/518 I shouldn't have to settle" no get in and go where you do and learn all you can enough said and HUMBLE UP! you will need it
I was serious. A lot of people here have great scores so I'd assume they would have more acceptances.

I was serious. A lot of people here have great scores so I'd assume they would have more acceptances.

Not necessarily, med schools interview to see if the person on paper is the same in person. A lot of people like that can write a well impassioned essay and then when they meet them some of the interviewers may feel they present themselves differently. I don't know these people but some have said they hate when DO schools recruit them, or that they're too good for certain programs. To me thats just arrogance and it angers me (im a med student myself so I can speak as one obviously because ive met some of those people at my school and choose not to associate with them)

Not necessarily, med schools interview to see if the person on paper is the same in person. A lot of people like that can write a well impassioned essay and then when they meet them some of the interviewers may feel they present themselves differently. I don't know these people but some have said they hate when DO schools recruit them, or that they're too good for certain programs. To me thats just arrogance and it angers me (im a med student myself so I can speak as one obviously because ive met some of those people at my school and choose not to associate with them)

I think there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, which many people have trouble straddling. However, what I think we can all agree on is that those emails get sent to EVERYONE, regardless of whether you are fully qualified, under qualified, or overqualified for their program. And so it just ends up spamming people.

I stand by my comment, I don't want shameless spam for finishing a hurdle that caused a lot of personal anguish and life stress.

The one acceptance I have was from a rolling admissions program FYI. Many schools (the rest of my II) are non-rolling and have hard dates for beginning offers of admission. A 518 (or anything in that vicinity) at face value still isn't really a silver bullet, especially without the context of the rest of the application.

As far as arrogance is concerned, there's something to be said for this "holier-than-thou" attitude adopted literally in defense of spam.

Last edited:
I stand by my comment, I don't want shameless spam for finishing a hurdle that caused a lot of personal anguish and life stress.

The one acceptance I have was from a rolling admissions program FYI. Many schools (the rest of my II) are non-rolling and have hard dates for beginning offers of admission. A 518 (or anything in that vicinity) at face value still isn't really a silver bullet, especially without the context of the rest of the application.

As far as arrogance is concerned, there's something to be said for this "holier-than-thou" attitude adopted literally in defense of spam.
I'm with you. Just got my first acceptance this morning and as I was opening the email I thought it would just be spam. Took away a little from the excitement,

I'm with you. Just got my first acceptance this morning and as I was opening the email I thought it would just be spam. Took away a little from the excitement,

Congrats!!