JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
need to vent.

i FCKING hate herff jones. over $100 for a cap and gown? seriously? they probably make 1000% profit on this thing. i hate how college students get **** on left and right by everyone. books, tuition, dining options. talk about kicking people when they're already down. will it ever change? probably not because there is nothing we can do about it.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Uh, sure there is. Don't go to graduation. Go to instate state school. Rock it in school and get scholarships. Don't eat on campus. Already down? You're a freaking college student in the US working on a career in medicine. Your life is just awful. Quit your freaking crying.

Holy crap.

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
Uh, sure there is. Don't go to graduation. Go to instate state school. Rock it in school and get scholarships. Don't eat on campus. Already down? You're a freaking college student in the US working on a career in medicine. Your life is just awful. Quit your freaking crying.

Holy crap.
1. graduation isnt just for me. its for my family and friends. skipping isnt really an option.

2. not everyone has state schools that offer the same level of education that private schools do. my best state school accepts students with highschool gpa's around 2.5. they dont even do that much reseach, which is one of my main interests. so that wasnt really a great option.

3. some schools force meal plans on their students. you can eat off campus if you want, but you still need to pay for the meal plan.

4. going into medicine doesnt have any impact on the cost of undergraduate education.

tuituon for many private schools is high. i'll accept that. its just the extra stuff where you get nickel and dimed that pisses me off. yes herff jones has nothing to do with any school in particular, but this was really directed toward those type of practices. i dont think herff jones has any competition so they can pretty much charge whatever they like. i cant even imagine how much $ they make for doing pretty much nothing.

Last edited:

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
yea those caps and gowns can't cost more than 20 dollars to make, such a rip off

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
1. graduation isnt just for me. its for my family and friends. skipping isnt really an option.

2. not everyone has state schools that offer the same level of education that private schools do. my best state school accepts students with highschool gpa's around 2.5. they dont even do that much reseach, which is one of my main interests. so that wasnt really a great option.

3. some schools force meal plans on their students. you can eat off campus if you want, but you still need to pay for the meal plan.

4. going into medicine doesnt have any impact on the cost of undergraduate education.

tuituon for many private schools is high. i'll accept that. its just the extra stuff where you get nickel and dimed that pisses me off. yes herff jones has nothing to do with any school in particular, but this was really directed toward those type of practices. i dont think herff jones has any competition so they can pretty much charge whatever they like. i cant even imagine how much $ they make for doing pretty much nothing.
1) Alrighty

2) So you made a cost/benefit analysis and determined the insanely expensive private school was worth the insane expense.

3) Your choice to attend a school that has that policy.

4) This was in reference to you being "kicked when you're already down"

Finally, sounds like you found a very lucrative business to start - cap and gown company that only has 900% markup! :)

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
i believe most schools force meal plans on students (at least at the beginning). some are better than others of course. but this wasnt really meant to be about that.

dyeguy21

7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It gets better for our school, the rental for $80 consists of 6 hours. You have to pick up between 8-9, get in line by 9:15ish, sit and graduate by 1 pm, then you must turn everything in by 3 pm.

We're also in the South, so we get to sit outside in the blazing sun in a black robe to get our diploma, then we barely get anytime to enjoy taking pictures and celebrating before we have to go back to dorms and strip and then run the thing back and wait in a huge return line.

So $13.33 a hour to sweat and cater to their needs.

/rant

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
It gets better for our school, the rental for $80 consists of 6 hours. You have to pick up between 8-9, get in line by 9:15ish, sit and graduate by 1 pm, then you must turn everything in by 3 pm.

We're also in the South, so we get to sit outside in the blazing sun in a black robe to get our diploma, then we barely get anytime to enjoy taking pictures and celebrating before we have to go back to dorms and strip and then run the thing back and wait in a huge return line.

So $13.33 a hour to sweat and cater to their needs.

/rant

yea thats pretty awful. you win

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Join the military and wear your military uniform...

Join a religious order and wear your habit....

Tell your family that sitting in the blazing sun isn't any fun for anyone and you've just freed up $100 for lemonade & ice cream (or something a little stronger ;) )

kami333

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Ask for your family for donations, that's what those invites are for:)

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
inhale. exhale. repeat.

when you're on your death bed are you really going to be like "god! if on;y i hadn't spent that 100 dollars on my cap gown so my parents and family would see me graduate! What was I thinking? I could really use that about now!"

go donate plasma or sperm if you're that hard up for cash.