Haissam

Uconn_predental
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
Connecticut
Status
Pre-Dental
Can everyone mention what ethnicity he or she falls under so that I can decide on what to put myself

Lostinbul

Pray'n for a letter!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Status
I'm caucasion and put hispanic! Just foolin with ya! I agree that the options that they give you for ethnicity are a little too generic! Most forms however will give you an "other" field that you could fill out with what ever you want! I would just do that!

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
Haissam said:
Can everyone mention what ethnicity he or she falls under so that I can decide on what to put myself under ? :laugh:

I am of Lebanese origin but I think I should choose other rather than caucasian. What do you guys think?

I think your supposed to put White (caucasian), as they consider all from the middleeast from that catagory. It probably sucks b/c you are from a minority which doesnt get treated white. So if I where you I would put "other," and I bet after they see you in an interview, they will understand why.

good luck!

LIer2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Status
Dentist
Rezdawg said:
Im persian...I put caucasian.
If I'm not mistaken ... Iran is in Asia, hence Persians are considered Asians.

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
Status
ummmmmmmmm isn't Russia, in Asia?

So, wouldn't Russians be considered Asians?

Or are Asians stereotypically, Brown and Yellow? And good at Math, excell in Engineering, and taking over your local gas station/Motel?

...Just a though. that's all.... :laugh:

LIer2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Status
Dentist
iambatman said:

Or are Asians stereotypically, Brown and Yellow? And good at Math, excell in Engineering, and taking over your local gas station/Motel?

Not all of Russia is in Asia. Actually, vast portions of populated areas in Russia are located closer to Europe. Also, ethnically, Russians have their origin in Europe, hence they are considered Europeans.

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
Status
LIer2010 said:
Not all of Russia is in Asia. Actually, vast portions of populated areas in Russia are located closer to Europe. Also, ethnically, Russians have their origin in Europe, hence they are considered Europeans.

thanks! i learn somthing new everyday!

Cinnamoroll0913

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
iambatman said:

NO, we do donut and nail shops too. Thank you very much.

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
iambatman said:

Not only that. we are aslo good on taking over many healthcare professional jobs as well. we have higher percentage jobs than the percentage of the population.

Farantino

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2005
Enchanted Forest
Status
Medical Student
Do you guys think it matters if you put down other? You'll probably have a better chance at getting an interview.

sunphish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Hometown: Rochester, New York. Current location: G
Status
Pre-Dental
I am half Hispanic half White, and I marked "other". I actually spent a while on this question because I really didn't know what to mark!! I called a few schools and they said that I should mark the catagory in which I would "consider" myself. Well, I am both, so the other catagory is all I could figure that included both. :oops:

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
How about this one, guys?

I am of german-scottish descent, but grew up with two deaf parents. Hence, my first language was american sign language. I didn't even learn how to speak (being the oldest) until I was a couple of years old (later than most people anyway).

Culturally and linguistically, I am deaf, but I am hearing...

So, with the definition of ethnic below.. Could I say that I have another ethnicity? Or do you think this is a technicality which makes no sense?

Just curious and wanted to put this out there...

Definition of Ethnic...

eth·nic
adj.

- Of or relating to a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage.

- Being a member of a particular ethnic group, especially belonging to a national group by heritage or culture but residing outside its national boundaries: ethnic Hungarians living in northern Serbia.

Of, relating to, or distinctive of members of such a group: ethnic restaurants; ethnic art.

- Relating to a people not Christian or Jewish; heathen.

n.
- A member of a particular ethnic group, especially one who maintains the language or customs of the group.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Definition of Ethnicity - Dictionary.com

eth·nic·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-ns-t)
n.
Ethnic character, background, or affiliation.
An ethnic group.

ethnicity

n : an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties; "ethnicity has a strong influence on community status relations"

JessicaSimpson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Status
burton117 said:
So, with the definition of ethnic below.. Could I say that I have another ethnicity? Or do you think this is a technicality which makes no sense?
That's a pretty unusual way of looking at ethnicity, but why not?

mccarth2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
At Case they told us to put your actual nationality/ethnicity rather than white because it may make you eligible for certain scholarships.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
mccarth2 said:
At Case they told us to put your actual nationality/ethnicity rather than white because it may make you eligible for certain scholarships.
That is a definite plus!!

Dental Mom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2005
Status
LIer2010 said:
If I'm not mistaken ... Iran is in Asia, hence Persians are considered Asians.
Nope, my husband is from Iran--considered white and Middle East ;)

Dental Mom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2005
Status
sunphish said:
I am half Hispanic half White, and I marked "other". I actually spent a while on this question because I really didn't know what to mark!! I called a few schools and they said that I should mark the catagory in which I would "consider" myself. Well, I am both, so the other catagory is all I could figure that included both. :oops:
Hey, I'm 1/2 black 1/2 Hispanic :) with an Iranian name and lastname. I'm worried that they won't believe me! :rolleyes: I'll write on my essay that I'm 100% latina...just to make sure :laugh:

TeethVader

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2005
Status
Dental Student
mccarth2 said:
Totally true, I'm Mexican; my ethnicity earned me a very decent scholarship. During the interview process, I was overwhelmed by the number of interview invites I obtained considering my not to impressive scores. Overall, there are very few Mexicans enrolling in dental schools and hence, that simple fact will definitelly open some doors whether its interviews or scholarship opportunities.

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
I'm planning on taking Spanish 101 next semester before i enroll in dental school. This way i'll be able to serve your community also. :thumbup:

Rezdawg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Farantino said:
Actually Iran is in Asia, so it the Middle East!
No, you're wrong. The Middle East and Asia are separate.

There are 37 countries in Asia, Iran isnt one of them.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Rezdawg said:
No, you're wrong. The Middle East and Asia are separate.

There are 37 countries in Asia, Iran isnt one of them.
True, and not all of the Middle East falls into the Asian continent.

B

BentalScholar

Comet208 said:
True, and not all of the Middle East falls into the Asian continent.
The only countries that are in asia and europe are Turkey and the old soviet union. Iran is clearly is Asia. I would think it is best to choose other and put down what your country of origin is and let them figure out the ethnicity rather than putting down the wrong one. I will put down asian although i am caucasian, I can pass as asian and they wont ask :laugh: