Technology Hey Busy People...Any Recommendations for a Smart Phone/PDA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalgearHMN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting kind of swamped with different class times, due dates, meetings, job, volunteering blah blah blah. I want to have a nice smart phone I can carry around that can tell me where I need to be that day and when.

Do any of you Pre-Meds out there use smart phones or PDAs? Which ones have you tried? Which ones stand out? iPhone is out of the question because I don't have AT&T Cingular, and Apple is stupid (save that for another forum).

So far, I'm looking at the T-mobile Dash. Any other suggestions? Other carriers are welcome, I can purchase unlocked phones.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have the Motorola Q 9c. I love it.

Are you sure you need a phone? Aren't those things expensive?

I've used a mix of my e-mail client, post-its, lists written on index cards, and google calendar. I've seen people use large dry-erase calendars too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Cingular 8525, and it works pretty well. I hear the new one is even better. (9525 or something like that)

Correction: Its the AT&T Tilt now (supposed to be a lot faster which is my only complaint)

Are you sure you need a phone? Aren't those things expensive?

I've used a mix of my e-mail client, post-its, lists written on index cards, and google calendar. I've seen people use large dry-erase calendars too.

You're just a run-of-the-mill Gourmet Chef/Cyclist/Yale Grad/39 MCAT, what could you possibly know about needing a schedule?!?

Just kidding man, nice app! :laugh:

But yea, I just think it'd be nice to have something I can carry with me (which you can't do w/ a dry erase board). I use my e-mail client too, and a lot of smart phones just sync w/ your client, which is convenient.

iPhone. It's incredible. :)

Yeah, iPhone has saved my life. It's synced with all my mailboxes and my iCal on my home computer and I use iCal for everything.

i love my iphone. but i heard that if youre moving from a blackberry to an iphone youre going to be disappointed. however, I moved from a Razr to the iphone. its golden

I have the new Palm Centro from Sprint. I love it... its everything a Treo has but in a smaller package.

people at my work have blackberrys that they sync with their microsoft outlook calendars/e-mail (since we all use those at my job). outlook is awesome. i don't know why more people don't use it.

the people that i'm talking about are execs and could afford the iphone, but stick with blackberrys. FWIW.

is medical software (drug guides....) readily available for iphone?

I'm interested too. I've had a Palm Treo for about two years and its ok, but I hear that Palm with probably be going under here soon, so I probably won't get a new one. I like the interface of the iPhone, but its completely useless to me because it can't run any of the medical software that I need. Blackberries are ok, but they really seem to be mainly for e-mail and not much else. I HATE windows, but more and more its looking like that might be the way I'll have to go. The new Android OS look promising, but I don't think it'll be out in time for me to be able to afford one.

Nate.

is medical software (drug guides....) readily available for iphone?
No, probably will be available in July or August. The CEO of ePocrates has stated that ePocrates will be available for the iPhone a few months after the SDK is officially released (rumored to happen in February).

I have a blackberry and I have no complaints.

Yeah, iPhone has saved my life. It's synced with all my mailboxes and my iCal on my home computer and I use iCal for everything.
Being able to go mobile with iCal is reason enough for me to consider getting the iPod Touch. I love my current phone and wouldn't get an iPhone until they cut its weight, but I also don't want to pay $300 for a calendar...

I've been using a blackberry pearl since early Fall -- mainly for its instant and 24/7 email access while waiting for interview emails to come in. Calendar on it will sync with outlook very well via RIM's software and cradle (much like a PDA) but i haven't used that much. I would just print out a weekly view of my outlook calendar and not bother syncing hehe.

I used to carry a PDA during my third year for references -- but found that the programs i used the most either there was already a blackberry version or the paper version was easier (i.e. sanford's antibiotics) and ended up selling the PDA and going for the bb.

voice quality is great. bluetooth is convenient. battery life kinda sucks but there is an extended battery you can buy (makes the phone a lot less sleek though) I see a lot of classmates with treo's though -- their screens are definitely bigger. The iPhone makes my blackberry look kinda wimpy -- but with rebates/contract my blackberry was much cheaper than the iphone. The form factor is a big thing for me and the treo is as bulky as a regular PDA so I ended up going blackberry.

dash, blackjack 2, motorola q. all equal.
all these are non-touch screen pda-like phones running a simpler version of Windows mobile.

i have the blackjack, and i can run a crapload of skyscape medical junk on it. all that email junk is there, but i dont give a crap about it, because I'm not a businessman checking my emails all the time.

if i wanted to spend a little more money, I'd get the at&t tilt, or any other Windows mobile 6 professional touch-screen pdaphone. Verizon has a Samsung touch phone.
Theres more software available for the touch-screen than the non-touch smartphones.

palm pilots are like dinosaurs now.

tmobile dash is fine, and it's usually free these days

stick with Windows. Windows Mobile is the future. and there's plenty of cracked software for it to make your life easier.