Hey current Med students, what is M1 life like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluejay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, can anyone currently in med school tell me what to expect for my M1 year? How does M1 compare with undergrad? Any tips? What did you find most difficult, most rewarding? Please help!! Any comments appreciated!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

One more thing... I am going to Nova, so any specifics about Nova would be good, but any info is appreciated!!! :D

I think there's a similar trend on this that just came out this week.... and I gave this quote from a first year I know:

"Truth be told, the courses aren't that difficult. Let me clarify: the material isn't too difficult to understand. Its just the volume of information and the speed at which it comes at you that is challenging. There is a crap load of information to learn and you get two years to learn it... so it comes at you fairly quickly."

Hope that gives you some idea.... I'm not a med student yet... will be starting though and have asked a few students about this in different trends.... Hope you get more response. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey "P":

Where are you going to med school?

Will be attending Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine!!! :cool:

Hey bluejay,
Guess who?!!!!

I just finished with my first year of medical school. It is hard to describe in a meaningful way. Someone described it to me this way before I started...the information load is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant going full-blast--only you don't want to lose too many droplets.

Eight hours of material per day and four useful hours to learn it at night. The good thing is that you learn to adjust and assimilate rapidly. Perseverance is key.

Good luck--you will do just fine!!

Hey GOP:

How much time should i expect for the day to day stuff like grocery shopping and spending time with my fiance? :cool:

Originally posted by bluejay:
•Hey GOP:

How much time should i expect for the day to day stuff like grocery shopping and spending time with my fiance? :cool:

I have a wife and daughter and I managed. It depends on how close you are to exam time. Believe it or not there is life outside of medical school--in fact, several people in our class got engaged and two of my colleagues' wives had babies.