hey DO/MBA I have a question for you, and anyone else whonhas an opinion on MBA's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by ChillerK, Sep 8, 2001.

1. ChillerK

ChillerK Junior Member

DO/MBA\

Why do you love your MBA? I have an MBA, and hate my job. Do you find your MBA useful as a DO? I am hoping that once I finish out my pre-reqs, I will either go back and get my DO, or become a PA, if I cant afford med school. Anyone out there have any comments/opinions on the usefulness of MBA degree and experience as a Physician or on getting into med school?

Thanks for your opinion!

Chilly

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Toran

Toran Senior Member

most docs don't know how to run a business. You may know how to practice medicine, however you won't go very far without a business.

Toran

4. shep

shep Junior Member

It's your JOB you hate, not your MBA?? I was working as a molecular biologist and decided to go ahead and get my MBA. I love it because it taught me a lot about the real world, finance, and IT. I use it anytime I make a financial decision and it has been very helpful when buying houses, analyzing school loans, etc... I'm sure it will help me when I begin to practice too.
    Many of the docs I have talked to think it will be an advantage when/if I go into private practice. I also honed some important communication skills in business school. I think you are taking for granted the tools that your MBA has given you. Maybe you just need a change in order to see things from a new perspective. Life is too short to hate your job. If you want to become a doc, I say "go for it".

5. ChillerK

ChillerK Junior Member

Oh, it is definitely not my MBA I hate, it's the job/ field. I would much rather be helping people instead of sitting in useless meetings and typing on a computer all day. I have no regrets about getting my MBA. I think that it has helped me develop skills that go way beyond the business world. I was just curious about how people find that it directly helps them out in the medical profession.

I just wish I had figured out what I really wanted to do earlier in life, but hey, who doesnt?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chilly

6. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member

I'm planning on getting my MBA after I finish up medical school.

Making money as a doctor is one thing, but knowing how to invest it in side ventures is another.

7. Do you go to UH medical school in hawaii? I am from hawaii too.

;)