1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

hey DO/MBA I have a question for you, and anyone else whonhas an opinion on MBA's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by ChillerK, Sep 8, 2001.

1. ChillerK

ChillerK Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

DO/MBA\

Why do you love your MBA? I have an MBA, and hate my job. Do you find your MBA useful as a DO? I am hoping that once I finish out my pre-reqs, I will either go back and get my DO, or become a PA, if I cant afford med school. Anyone out there have any comments/opinions on the usefulness of MBA degree and experience as a Physician or on getting into med school?

Thanks for your opinion!

Chilly

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Toran

Toran Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

most docs don't know how to run a business. You may know how to practice medicine, however you won't go very far without a business.

Toran

4. shep

shep Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's your JOB you hate, not your MBA?? I was working as a molecular biologist and decided to go ahead and get my MBA. I love it because it taught me a lot about the real world, finance, and IT. I use it anytime I make a financial decision and it has been very helpful when buying houses, analyzing school loans, etc... I'm sure it will help me when I begin to practice too.
    Many of the docs I have talked to think it will be an advantage when/if I go into private practice. I also honed some important communication skills in business school. I think you are taking for granted the tools that your MBA has given you. Maybe you just need a change in order to see things from a new perspective. Life is too short to hate your job. If you want to become a doc, I say "go for it".

5. ChillerK

ChillerK Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, it is definitely not my MBA I hate, it's the job/ field. I would much rather be helping people instead of sitting in useless meetings and typing on a computer all day. I have no regrets about getting my MBA. I think that it has helped me develop skills that go way beyond the business world. I was just curious about how people find that it directly helps them out in the medical profession.

I just wish I had figured out what I really wanted to do earlier in life, but hey, who doesnt?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chilly

6. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm planning on getting my MBA after I finish up medical school.

Making money as a doctor is one thing, but knowing how to invest it in side ventures is another.

7. Do you go to UH medical school in hawaii? I am from hawaii too.

;)