BTR1208

7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Okay so here is where I am at:

At the end of this semester I will have all prerequisites for the DAT done except Organic 2 which I am taking this Spring. My original plan was to start studying for the DAT at the end of the Spring semester in May and take the DAT in July. The rest of my application will be complete and ready to go so can have it sent in Around 2nd week of July after taking the DAT was the plan.I thought that sounded like a solid plan.

Well, I was speaking with my pre-dental adviser yesterday and she highly urged me to have the DAT done by April/May because it takes 8 weeks for the scores to be sent out?? And that way my application can be in by June rather than late August. Does it really take 8 weeks for scores to be submitted after taking the DAT?

I guess I could also study for the DAT over winter break but I was really looking forward to spending 8 weeks on solid study time during the summer after having organic 2 to get the best score possible.

So 2 options really here; what should I do?

1.) Stick to original plan: After taking Organic 2 in the spring study for 8 solid weeks (May-June) and take the DAT in July and immediately apply. This would not be considered "LATE" would it?

2.) Study for the DAT over Winter break and take it in January. That way i can apply in June and be considered early. Only problem is I will not have Organic 2 yet. And I would really love to have my winter break. I have a trip planned to Denver but understand I need to make the smartest choice; and that would be studying for the DAT!

Any input is appreciated!

Oct 23, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I will say that I took my DAT on 6/18/14, and AADSAS "received" my score on 7/14/2014. I think they "have to" say it could take 8 weeks to receive your DAT score in case it does take that long, but generally, I don't think it will take that long.

If you really want a recommendation, I would say go for option #2. I took organic I and II before taking the DAT, and to be honest....if you use DAT bootcamp/Kaplan/test prep books, you should still be able to handle all of the orgo you will find on the DAT. Orgo I will prepare you for the DAT's orgo, and whatever you don't know from orgo II can be explained with the DAT test prep stuff.

If you go here: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/

You can find complete course materials for old Organic II courses. I used it a little bit in my test prep. I personally used Kaplan's DAT prep, and my stats were: AA of 20, highs = 25RC, 23 Orgo. SciAvg = 19. Lows = 16 QR and 17 PAT, I struggled the most with time management, personally.

In conclusion, the decision of your DAT date comes down to whether or not you think your test prep can overcome the lack of Orgo II. Some would say take it after Orgo II, but plenty take the DAT before completing orgo II, it's up to you.

OP
BTR1208

BTR1208

7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
I have been leaning towards option 2 as well.. but am worried it will be hard to 100% commit to it over winter break. Luckily I should be pretty well prepared for Organic since i am taking it now and owning it. But still I am sure there will be sections that need reviewed.

I was going to do the "Sample study schedule" from the DAT section...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sample-dat-study-schedule.719365/

May 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Take it in May i took it may 20th and I couldve even took it later by a bit. Just don't take it later than end of May. That'll save u most study time from orgo 2 cos it'll be fresh. Study while ur in school

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
You will feel a lot more comfortable with orgo section if you have taken both 1 and 2, but prep materials such as chads vid and destroyer will fill in thr gap if any.

OP
BTR1208

BTR1208

7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
How would this plan work?

Over winter break study for 4 solid weeks. Intensely.

Then from January-April study less intensely. As soon as classes are over in May take the DAT and apply in June..

Good?

Or I saw a post where somebody set up a winter break study plan. I could do that and take it in January. Or would I better doing this still and then using the next 4 months to fine tune everything?

4 WEEK DAT REVIEW
Day 1:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 1 (Chemistry)
Kaplan’s Chapter 1 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 2:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 2 (Cells)
Kaplan’s Chapter 2 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 3:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 3 (Cellular Respiration)
Kaplan’s Chapter 3 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 4:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 4 (Photosynthesis)
Kaplan’s Chapter 4 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 5:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 5 (Cell Division)
Kaplan’s Chapter 5 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 6:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 6 (Heredity)
Kaplan’s Chapter 6 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 7:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 7 (Molecular Genetics)
Kaplan’s Chapter 7 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo

Day 8:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 8 (Evolution)
Kaplan’s Chapter 8 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT introductory section and “Keyholes Practicing Set”

Day 9:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 9 (Biological Diversity)
Kaplan’s Chapter 9 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Top-Front-End Practicing Set”

Day 10:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 10 (Plants)
Kaplan’s Chapter 10 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Angle Ranking Practicing Set”

Day 11:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 11 (Animal Form and Function)
Kaplan’s Chapter 11 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Hole Punching Practicing Set”

Day 12:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 12 (Animal Reproduction and Development)
Kaplan’s Chapter 12 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Cube counting Practicing Set”

Day 13:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 13 (Animal Behavior)
Kaplan’s Chapter 13 on Biology and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Pattern Folding Practicing Set”

Day 14:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 14 (Ecology)
Kaplan’s Chapter 14 on Biology and Orgo

Day 15:
Kaplan’s chapter 15 in biology and Orgo

Day 16:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 1 – 22
GC 1 – 23
Biology 1 – 36
Crack DAT PAT test #1
Math Destroyer test #1, review answers

Day 17:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 23 - 45
GC 24 - 47
Biology 37 – 73
Math Destroyer test #2, review your answers

Day 18:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 46 - 68
GC 48 - 71
Biology 74 - 110
Math Destroyer test #3, review your answers

Day 19:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 69 - 91
GC 72 - 95
Biology 111 - 147
Math Destroyer test #4, review your answers

Day 20:
Review Crack DAT PAT test #1
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 92 - 114
GC 96 - 119
Biology 148 - 184
Crack DAT PAT test #2
Math Destroyer test #5, review your answers

Day 21:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 115 - 137
GC 120 - 143
Biology 185 - 221
Math Destroyer test #6, review your answers

Day 22:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 138 - 160
GC 144 - 167
Biology 222 - 258
Math Destroyer test #7, review your answers

Day 23:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 161 - 183
GC 168 - 191
Biology 259 - 295
Math Destroyer test #8, review your answers

Day 24:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 184 - 206
GC 192 - 215
Biology 296 - 332
Math Destroyer test #9, review your answers

Day 25:
Review Crack DAT PAT test #2
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 207 – 232
GC 216 - 242
Biology 332 – 377
Crack DAT PAT test #3
Math Destroyer test #10, review your answers

Day 26:
Crack DAT PAT test #4
Math Destroyer test #11, review your answers

Day 27:
Crack DAT PAT test #5, #6, #7

Day 28:
Crack DAT PAT test #8, #9, #10

May 17, 2014
In my opinion, you are much better off giving yourself 8 weeks to study after the spring semester ends and then taking the DAT. I took the test July 3rd, and my scores were up on July 17th (not even close to 8 weeks). It's more important to give yourself enough time and to do that much better on the exam than rushing through studying just to take it early. You could take it early July, and have every other aspect of your application ready at that time so you can just submit it right after you take the exam. That will not make you a late applicant by any means.

After doing content review, I would recommend going through the DAT Destroyer twice, writing down which questions you got wrong those 2 times, and then going through those wrong questions a 3rd time. Also, doing Bootcamp twice through is really important.

Also, you really do need to know Ochem 2, and you don't want to be stuck teaching it to yourself and possibly missing something that you might need to understand.

May 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Just get focused during winter break - don't go out besides on weekends if it comes to it. Get focused, wake up early and study and do just that and do what you said, study less intensely during the semester just to keep the material in there. Go through chads videos two times AT LEAST. Once while taking notes and once with just comprehending what he's doing and what's happening because that **** gets repetitive and you'll really understand it very well if you can do that. And during the break I would also suggest to go through the DAT destroyer and keep your memory fresh during the semester by going through it again twice which isn't bad during the semester. Take the DAT achiever exams during the weekends during your semester to keep track of progress. If I could go back I would do that, but I only had a few weeks to study and chad, destroyer and achiever helped a lot.

OP
BTR1208

BTR1208

7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
So if I take it after the Spring semester I will be taking the test July 7. Rest of application will be ready to go. Is this okay or considered late?

If i use the winter break to study like a mad man I could take it in January if I feel prepared OR early May by using the following 4 months to fine tune everything.

A.) Study 8 weeks after spring semester and take test July 7.
B.) Study like crazy during winter break and take test in January.
C.) Intense studying over winter break followed by 4 months of light studying take test second week in May.

A and C seem like best options. B is risky....

wildzodiac

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I was in the exact same positon you were last year. I wanted to take the dat in January to give me a cushion in case I didn't do so hot on it. I could take it again in June and still be considered early. I didn't take orgo 2 yet at the time, so I did some hardcore studying during winter break, and light studying for 3 months, then did hardcore studying again from the time my semester ended to the date of my exam, (about 2 weeks.) I ended up doing well on it and I doubt I would have done as well on orgo if I took it in January without taking orgo 2.

Let's just say this, I took the dat in early june, and had everything sent and finalized to schools shortly thereafter.

Best of luck