Hey guys, I’d like to propose a new doctoral degree.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FutrrENT

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "Doctor of Phlebotomatology" degree.

What do you think?

Phlebotomists have been such an important part of any health care setting. I think they should have their own doctoral degrees.

If nurses can have doctoral degrees, so should phlebotomists! I want to propose this to some medical schools. See if I can help start some of these DP programs.

Who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

The "Doctor of Phlebotomatology" degree.

What do you think?

Phlebotomists have been such an important part of any health care setting. I think they should have their own doctoral degrees.

If nurses can have doctoral degrees, so should phlebotomists! I want to propose this to some medical schools. See if I can help start some of these DP programs.

Who's with me?

I know this is a joke.

But for those of us that really respect nurses for the work they do with patients and how the field as a whole tries to improve patient care its a little harsh. I believe that the DNP is a load of **** but nurses do contribute a lot to patient care and their docturates (PhDs) are just as important as other PhD fields.

No matter what kind of medicine you practice, besides pathologist probably, you will have to interact with nurses. I feel the more educated they can become, the easier and more efficient they can make the team.
I for one would not be excited to do their kind of research (more on the patient experience/work flow/communication side), but it is important as they contribute a lot to the "softer" sides of medicine.

The DNP tho... thats an absolute waste.

And the white coat thing is unfortunately not a sign of anything these days. Hell let the nurses wear the white coats if they want - almost all lab staff (including phlebotomist) do, some radiology techs, PAs, NPs, OT, PT, pharmacy... I've learned the white coat means nothing - at least in California, im not sure how it is in other states.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this is a joke.

But for those of us that really respect nurses for the work they do with patients and how the field as a whole tries to improve patient care its a little harsh. I believe that the DNP is a load of **** but nurses do contribute a lot to patient care and their docturates (PhDs) are just as important as other PhD fields.

No matter what kind of medicine you practice, besides pathologist probably, you will have to interact with nurses. I feel the more educated they can become, the easier and more efficient they can make the team.
I for one would not be excited to do their kind of research (more on the patient experience/work flow/communication side), but it is important as they contribute a lot to the "softer" sides of medicine.

The DNP tho... thats an absolute waste.

And the white coat thing is unfortunately not a sign of anything these days. Hell let the nurses wear the white coats if they want - almost all lab staff (including phlebotomist) do, some radiology techs, PAs, NPs, OT, PT, pharmacy... I've learned the white coat means nothing - at least in California, im not sure how it is in other states.

nursing is moving from patient care --> $$$$; nursing organizations forcing nurses to get DNPs (which as you say is garbage) just proves this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
nursing is moving from patient care --> $$$$; nursing organizations forcing nurses to get DNPs (which as you say is garbage) just proves this.

Exactly, I can't mention enough how badly implemented and designed the "DNP" thing is - and completely un-necessary in my opinion. There is a reason UCSF (one of the best nursing schools) didn't embrace it and isn't offering it. http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2007/02/74...nrollment-growth-faculty-succession-dean-says

But to rag on nurses and compare them to phlebotomy i think is a low blow to a field that is necessary for healthcare to run. I think statements like this make it seem that all nursing organizations are out to become "just" like doctors when the reality is they aren't and there are different fractions just like any big field.

I think most experienced physicians would agree, a good nurse who knows when it is and isn't appropriate to notify the doc about a change in patient status, knows how to implement a good plan of care, can help with the patient teaching/discharge planning or even when and how it can be appropriate to question a order, is worth their weight in gold.

I know I may be just a medical student, but I hope when im a resident I'm surrounded by good nurses - it'll make my job a hell of a lot easier - not to mention less stressful knowing my patient is in good hands.

what are you like 5"3" and even shorter where it counts? Do you ever offer anything productive other than nurse bashing on here? Can't wait till Mr. Press and Mr. Ganey straighten out your over inflated sense of self importance real quick.

The “Doctor of Phlebotomatology” degree.

What do you think?

Who’s with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.