Hey guys! I need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adamjivraj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well let me first introduce myself1 My name is Adam Jivraj and i am a jounior in high school dead set on becoming a doctor. I am looking at the fields of Cardi thurastic or valvicular surgery. I am actually looking at many diffrent schools. Well I am just Inquiring about attending and Irish school (UCD, RSCI.) But i would like to know Should i do 4 years of pre-med here in California (UCLA, UC Berkley) or save 2 years and attend the 6 year program. to forigen students suffer and downfalls from attending international schools? Should I stay?

Members don't see this ad.

If you'd eventually like to practice in the US, and especially California, your safest bet would be to go through the US ed system. For other reasons, those of us over here chose to forego this "safe" advice. Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery would be more difficult for FMGs to get into - I believe they are fellowships of General Surgery and so you do not enter those fields directly.

There is the mythical "fast-track" CT program that no one seems to have any clue about, and 2 new training schemes for vascular surgery have just been approved: a 5-year vascular surgery training program matched into from medical school and a 3+3 vascular surgery program set up like the integrated plastics programs.

Now, these were just approved, so it's anybody's guess as to how quickly they will catch on, how competitive they will be, etc. Personally, I'm hoping the 5-year programs are not too competitive since most students don't know how much they want to specialize that early.

Members don't see this ad :)
First and for most thanks for replying, I am fortunate enough to have great grades, plenty of AP courses and extra curricular activities. If I do stay in California, I am hoping to attend UCLA for my pre-med and either UCLA or Johns Hopkins for my med school. So it would not be a good idea to attend RCSI or UCD for the med program if I am planing on staying in California? :thumbup: :cool:

I think it has been done before, but it's rare. With California you especially want to be careful because they're more restrictive than the other states and the competition pool is a lot higher. Best to train where you want to practice. Also, you want to keep an open mind...it's good to have an idea what you want for the future and where you want to go... but don't stay too singular :). It's hard to appreciate at this stage, but medical study is a hell of a lot different from the study you're used to in high school and undergrad. Learning in a different system may not help you when trying to study for things in the US system.

Coming to Ireland is a HUGE risk with a low reward for someone in your situation with your goals for the future. Stay in Cali. Play it safe and don't rush too much to be finished. Try to enjoy the ride as well!

Wow, the advise i just read in this thread is goning to stick with me forever! Especially leorl and sage! Thanks guys!