Hey guys, I'd really appreciate your input. 29P, 3.7. Thank you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagantheman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post so try not to be too harsh ;) i'll try to keep it short. i'd really appreciate any input that you guys have on my situation. I searched the forums and couldn't really find an answer I was looking for.

I'm asian (indian) and attend a school in florida. I am a health science major (chem minor) with a 3.7 cumulative gpa. 3.7 science gpa. i have leadership in clubs, am a runner, 2 years of research (infectious diseases) with two posters/no pubs yet, 300+ hours volunteering, lots of shadowing (200+ hours..internship).committee letter. i think my MCAT score is the only portion of my app that's significantly lacking. I received a 10P, 10 V, 9 BS.. P in writing this past may. Was planning for a retake since my avg was a 33, but...couldn't get myself to study again.

Basically, a very close family member passed away this early june which put my applications to a halt. i had already submitted my apps then and was planning on submitting early... I started receiving secondaries in june, but after my family member passed away, i couldn't focus on anything until mid august. i was even debating on not applying this year, but decided it would be the best option for me now.

anyway, i'm trying to stay focused now and working on my first pub along with apps. last week, i submitted apps to most of the fl schools (not uf or um) and some oos schools like drexel, nymc, albany...did NOT submit to wake forest (bcz i missed the secondary deadline)..

The schools I have left to do secondaries are for: Creighton, Eastern VA, GW, Georgetown, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Temple, Commonwealth in PA, Tulane, VA Commonwealth, VA Tech, Rush...

So my question is... this late in the cycle and with my low mcat score... should I even bother applying to any of the remaining schools? I do have a "legacy" at GW (uncle went there) but not sure if it even helps since they get so many apps. Should I just withdraw from some now?

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Sorry for making this post long. And thanks in advance for taking your time to read and help.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post so try not to be too harsh ;) i'll try to keep it short. i'd really appreciate any input that you guys have on my situation. I searched the forums and couldn't really find an answer I was looking for.

I'm asian (indian) and attend a school in florida. I am a health science major (chem minor) with a 3.7 cumulative gpa. 3.7 science gpa. i have leadership in clubs, am a runner, 2 years of research (infectious diseases) with two posters/no pubs yet, 300+ hours volunteering, lots of shadowing (200+ hours..internship).committee letter. i think my MCAT score is the only portion of my app that's significantly lacking. I received a 10P, 10 V, 9 BS.. P in writing this past may. Was planning for a retake since my avg was a 33, but...couldn't get myself to study again.

Basically, a very close family member passed away this early june which put my applications to a halt. i had already submitted my apps then and was planning on submitting early... I started receiving secondaries in june, but after my family member passed away, i couldn't focus on anything until mid august. i was even debating on not applying this year, but decided it would be the best option for me now.

anyway, i'm trying to stay focused now and working on my first pub along with apps. last week, i submitted apps to most of the fl schools (not uf or um) and some oos schools like drexel, nymc, albany...did NOT submit to wake forest (bcz i missed the secondary deadline)..

The schools I have left to do secondaries are for: Creighton, Eastern VA, GW, Georgetown, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Temple, Commonwealth in PA, Tulane, VA Commonwealth, VA Tech, Rush...

So my question is... this late in the cycle and with my low mcat score... should I even bother applying to any of the remaining schools? I do have a "legacy" at GW (uncle went there) but not sure if it even helps since they get so many apps. Should I just withdraw from some now?

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Sorry for making this post long. And thanks in advance for taking your time to read and help.

It's not too late to submit secondaries. Yes, your MCAT is a less than ideal, but you can't get in if you don't apply.

The only reason not to submit secondaries is if you are financially unable or unwilling. If for some reason you don't matriculate next year, you will be a reapplicant regardless because you already submitted your secondary. So, if you have the money, submit secondaries everywhere. A long shot is better than no shot.

Hey MedPR,

Thanks for responding! I had typed out a response earlier but the sdn site didn't submit it for some reason so I didn't mean to respond so late.

I understand what you mean about a long shot better than no shot... I'm considering taking off GW and Georgetown off my list and VA schools as well. Mainly due to IS and the volume of applicants a t GW and Georgetown. I don't think my 'legacy' will help much at GW either.

I guess my question was what schools I had the most chance at considering my late application completeness...Today, I'll submit the RFU secondary. It seems like it takes them a while to mark an applicant complete.

I think you should apply to UF and UM... I'm a FL resident and my advisor was just telling me she heard of someone getting into UM with a 24 2 cycles ago...don't let your MCAT discourage you from applying, it's really only 2 points below the "average" accepted student. I'm not saying you are shoe-in for either school, but many schools are willing to look past numbers if they see something special in you.