Hey Guys! Plz help me with a Question about the Postbac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumdoin00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take few more courses by Postbac or by just taking extra course before dental schools. Will dental school only count the ones I would get to take through postbac program? Do I have to be in postbac program in order for me to send my additional course works to AADSAS and dental schools? What if I decide to just take few extra courses without doing a postbac program, will dental school still take those credits and grades?

According to the ADEA official guide to dental schools 2010, many schools like NYU do accept course works(up to 60 credits) from community college while they prefer 4 years college. And lets say if I received a C in biology in Rutgers University and gets an A in Community college then AADSAS would average those two grades and make it an A. Will dental schools like NYU average those two grades and conceive as B average grade?
I read some threads in predental forum and found out that schools like
NYU do not take ANY CREDIT from community college.

Now I am confused. I dont know which is the right information.
Could anyone please inform me which one is the correct info?

p.s. If schools like NYU do take credits from community college, does it really matter whether i take those extra courses in cc or in any other 4 years college?

Thank you for your time, guys. I will be waiting for your great answers!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to take few more courses by Postbac or by just taking extra course before dental schools. Will dental school only count the ones I would get to take through postbac program? Do I have to be in postbac program in order for me to send my additional course works to AADSAS and dental schools?

I think what you're asking is whether or not you have to be enrolled in a specified pre-med/dental post-bacc program, or is it ok to be in any post-bacc program and just take courses. The answer is: either is fine, as long as you take the courses that you need to take. As long as you are enrolled at a college/university, you can send those classes (via transcripts) to AADSAS.

Also keep in mind, AADSAS will look at all courses you have taken at any college/university that you have ever attended, and they will count those courses (and their respective GPAs) in your application.

What if I decide to just take few extra courses without doing a postbac program, will dental school still take those credits and grades?

Yes...see above answer. They accept all courses/grades/credits from any college/university, regardless of what your "title" is (post-bacc or not).

According to the ADEA official guide to dental schools 2010, many schools like NYU do accept course works(up to 60 credits) from community college while they prefer 4 years college. And lets say if I received a C in biology in Rutgers University and gets an A in Community college then AADSAS would average those two grades and make it an A. Will dental schools like NYU average those two grades and conceive as B average grade?

All grades are counted. So if you made a C in undergrad biology, then you go back and take it again in post-bacc and make an A, your GPA will count both of those courses, not just the one you made an A in. All courses you have ever taken, and their grades, will be on your AADSAS transcript.

I read some threads in predental forum and found out that schools like NYU do not take ANY CREDIT from community college.

Now I am confused. I dont know which is the right information.
Could anyone please inform me which one is the correct info?

You will learn very quickly that many pre-dents (I'm sure they mean well), are giving the wrong information on SDN. SDN is an amazing place, and it has immense benefits to people who are in our position (pre-health), however, sometimes information that is given is not 100% accurate.

It seems to me that you have heard NYU takes cc credit from some people, while others have said that NYC doesn't take cc credits. Your best (and easiest) solution is to pick up the phone, call NYU, and ask them yourself. They know about their requirements better than any pre-dent does. I had a similar question about another dental school, so I just called them and asked. The kind lady at the other end answered all my questions, and I even got other helpful information...just call NYU.

p.s. If schools like NYU do take credits from community college, does it really matter whether i take those extra courses in cc or in any other 4 years college?

Thank you for your time, guys. I will be waiting for your great answers!

It seems like NYU is your number 1 choice. That's great, but do not limit yourself to just one school...apply to many! If you do end up applying to many schools, then it would be safer/better for you to take classes at a 4-yr university, rather than at a cc, simply because it doesn't exclude you from possibly applying to schools that don't take cc credits.

I'm a non-traditional pre-dent, and I'm quitting my job and career in the corporate world in order to pursue my dream of becoming a dentist. Just stay focused, work hard, and you'll get there eventually.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Thank you so much for your respond! It is so thoughtful of you to be spending a good amount time answering my questions.
It helped me a lot in terms of viewing the right aspect of where I should
be going and all that.
I hope everything works out for you and your dream will come true !!

Thank you again for your help. I hope all is well for you.

Andy.