Hey guys, SNOW!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case you're feeling :( about AMCAS, interview invites or scores not arriving (or scores that did arrive), it could be worse!

We got 4-6 inches of snow last night and it's still coming down. Actually it's gorgeous, although I did have to go out and rescue a poor tree that was bent over double by the weight of the snow. :)

Members don't see this ad.

How much snow does it take in Alaska for the schools to be shut down?

TONS!! They almost never close for snow, more often it's really icy conditions that give kids an extra day off.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Fairbanks, interior Alaska, they rarely close the schoools for snow since we don't get all that much. We have had a few inches so far and its pretty typical. The only school rule regarding weather is that when the temperatures are below -20F the kids don't have recess outside. But otherwise, just about anything goes.

Makes sense. I figured it would be really extreme. I live in southwest Missouri, so we aren't immune to snow and cold and ice, but the first round of it always drives people crazy, until they get used to it.

mpp, are you a WWAMI applicant?

The schools did not close one time when I was in Fairbanks. Poor kids.

my senior year of high school was great (96), we had like five or six snow days.

some of the best snowboarding i have ever seen too.

i still don't have my studs on though, it seems that everyone and their mom wants to put studs on right now (go figure), so every shop is booked solid.

i just hope the snow keeps coming, maybe alyeska will open up early.

btw, fellow wwami folks, have you heard anything yet? they don't interview us until the second and third week of january, but that doesn't mean that they can't give out early invites, right?

Originally posted by jdub:

btw, fellow wwami folks, have you heard anything yet? they don't interview us until the second and third week of january, but that doesn't mean that they can't give out early invites, right?•

The status page says they're waiting on my August MCAT scores (shouldn't they have those by now?) and my Alaska residency verification (UAA says they received it on 10/9 but are waiting for the "committee" to act on it). I'm thinking maybe in a week my file will be complete. How long have they had a complete file on you?

1992 was the best snow year I can remember in Fairbanks. It started with a bang...12" of snow on September 8th. And it just kept on coming.