Hey Imhotep--radio vs nuc jobs and imaging study qualifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murphyslaw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've looked up some of the job opportunities for Nucs guys, but I kepp running into websites that simply include "Nucs" as part of the films that Radiologists read, so i get lists like this:

Nuclear Medicine
General Radiology
Biopsies
Body Imaging
Cross Sectional
CT
Fluoroscopy
Mammography
MRI
Musculoskeletal
Neuroradiology
Ultrasound
Women's Imaging

So, question, 1) do nucs guys ever read radio films? like any of the ones listed here? 2) And are nucs jobs mainly available in or near major cities where they have the facilities or is nucs fairly ubiquitous in suburbs as well. Another way to ask this question may just be how easy are Nucs jobs to find. 3) And i know you may not know this one, but are Nucs jobs found abroad? like australia or is it pretty rare.

Members don't see this ad.

pure nuc med docs dont read anything except nuc med stuff.i am currently in nuc med residency ,just finished 1 month of it and i just love it.very interesting to do new and cool stuff. but the job market is pretty gloomy ,but having said that everybody sooner or later gets a job and belive me if youend up getting a job its awesome and you are paid to do cool stuff like this.for me this has been an great experience.jobs are in academia ,primarily.but i think once radioimmunotherap gets underway then we might have a big business.i am not sure about abroad potential..i guess i need to start looking

colnuc

As of right now, pure nucmed trained people do not read other diagnostic modalities such as MR, Xray, U/S etc. With the advent, and greater utilization of "fusion imaging" such as PET-CT, SPECT-CT, and PET-MR etc, nucmed folks should be able to read the anatomic aspect of the exam with proper training. As you may be aware, beginning this year, nuclear medicine is a 4 year residency (1 yr internship plus 3 years of nuc med, which include several months of cross sectional imaging).
Most jobs are still going to be in larger cities.....
Yes, there are jobs for nuclear medicine physicians abroad. I personally know of an individual who is currently working in New Zealand. There is a shortage in Europe as well, although the salaries are quite low, and you'd have to learna new language and potentially take a set of exams.