Hey lady in red!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Weeble, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member

How did it go?

There's lots of people pullin for ya that wantz to know! :)

(I know it's early, but I'm gonna be away from my computer for a while.)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member

Weeble: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
    (thats a scream of desperation)
    PS I am flattered by attention :)

4. lady in red

Actually, I meant AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    i feel like my life is over with. gonna be away from computer for awhile, but i'll answer any questions and tell you all the horror stories i endured when i'm back.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

C'mon, lady in red, we want details!!! And how did your hair behave, anyway? ;) :p

6. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

Ya, remember how viscious some of these people get when you withold information. Remember the whole "Cookie" incident... ;)

:D Hope things went well. :D

7. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member

Did you at least have a little bit of fun?

8. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member

I felt exactly like that after my first interview a few days ago. And don't forget all the stories of "I BOMBED the interview!!" and later,.... "Weird, I got in."
    Or maybe we should just vilify the villains of your horror stories when you get back. ;)

9. lady in red

Sorry for silence. Well, everything that BeckyG and others told you about UCSF is ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!!!!!! It is relaxed as hell (well, not as hell, but you get the point). SMW, I had a great hair day, I wore it in a bun!!! i looked really nice (but it did not matter b/c both my interviewers were women) :D :D . My first interviewer did not say a WORD for the whole 40 minutes. I just kept on talking and talking and talking. She did not ask my anything about medicine, just wanted to know me. She was writing a lot as I spoke. She was very professional, very warm, and, since the interview was really early (right when i got there), it pumped me up for the whole day. Now, learn from my mistakes: if you get pumped like that and forget all the answers you prepared, you can get fried on the next one--which is what happened to me. I was totally like "well, they are so nice, they just want to know me". Hell NO!!!!!!! So, on the next one, I got totally GRILLING ethics questions on a real-life situation that happened when i was there (if you want details, PM/email me), i dont want to post it here; I was flustered and mumbled out my answer. My point is, while it is good to be relaxed and yourself, do NOT forget what you are there for. I was so relaxed, I forgot i even wanted to go to medical school and why. So it is a good idea to sort of be on your toes. Basically, I just totally blew my second interview, and it showed.
    The worst part of the day were other applicants. Seriously, these people were so arrogant--they were like, well, I am going to Harvard tomorrow, so this school is my rehearsal, i don't like it, I really like yale, Upenn, oh, and Cornell while I am at it. They were putting down UCSF the whole day and just listening to them made me sick. I was really happy and blessed to even be there and they treated it like some charity they were doing to the school. I don't know how UCSF screens, but I guess they don't screen too well, b/c i would not want to be anywhere near these people in med school; they are the exact stereotype of the rich mommy/daddy's little snob that everybody seems to hate about current doctors. I hear many of you guys getting rejected from UCSF and I can understand your pain; what makes it worse that people who don't really want to go there get all the interviews!! Just really pretentious students; i was unpleasantly surprised; my student host was remarkable. If you have specific questions feel free to ask/email me; i am still sort of under shock, but the best part is that this is over, and i need to move on. I love the school, and i hope all those who love it too get to go there.
    PS thanks for your support, i could not have done it without you!

10. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

No specific questions, because I'd be shocked to even get a secondary from those guys (haven't yet...).

Anyway, I would think that they adcoms do a decent job of sorting those people out of the process! Did you get to talk to any of the medical students? You said your student host was great. You might get a better idea about what the class is like from the people who are students there than the applicants...

And as to the tough questions... :) I'm sure you did fine. I've been pounded with tough questions in a couple interviews lately (not med interviews... :( ), and thought I'd done horrible, and found out later that I'd done really well. Don't sweat it! I'm sure things will work out.

Remember, the goal is worth all the crap we have to put up with to get there. That includes these interviews, the ugly premeds we've had to deal with, and all of the AMCAS problems. Just remind yourself you're going to be a doctor someday, which is something (at least for me) you've dreamed about for a long time.

Good luck! :D

11. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    lady in red-

I'm sure that those pretentious students couldn't hide their feelings about the school if they wanted to...I'm sure it leaked out in the interview and I can't imagine UCSF would take people like that (they wouldn't, would they?!)

12. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, I'm surprised you had that experience with the other interviewees. When I was there, 4 out of the 5 people there were really cool. There was one guy from Stanford, and that's how he introduced himself, "Hi, my name is ..., I go to Stanford." But, everyone else was really cool, even the couple people from Ivy's. :) They were actually the most solid group of interviewees that I've met so far. And, what impressed me even more was the students there. The students were all really awsome, so maybe they do their serious screening a little later in the process.

Anyhow, I'm sure you did fine. I had a similar experience, my first interview was really cool with a clinical faculty member. My second one was with a pediatrician, and I don't think he liked me because I'm interested in research and doing a MD/PhD. He kept asking me questions like, "Why didn't you do more clinical work?" etc. etc. I'm sure you did fine though. Of course, I haven't gotten in yet, either :)

Good luck,

Adam

13. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member

I'm sorry the other interviewees were jerks, I wouldn't worry about them though. About the second interview: it's totally possible to feel like you were horrible, and really not have interviewed as badly as you think. Hell, I thought I was doing pretty well for my first interview ever and then my interviewer started telling me all about the good ol' waitlist just before we said goodbye!!

14. lady in red

Weeble, what did he tell you about the wait list? Both of my interviewers said or implied asolutely nothing about the admissions process. I would be happy to even get mentioned on their waiting list! A lot of people who are accepted there do not go there (252 accepts, only 141 matriculate), so you have a really good chance on a wait list. The way it seemed to me, my interviewers were sort of apathetic about UCSF in general, sort of like, well, just a med school, there are many others. I was all excited about UCSF and could not hide it, and they just gave me the look--so what?
    yes, the current students i met were great--really down-to-earth people; but i think that the behavior like some of my fellow interviewees have exhibited is inappropriate anywhere-if you bothered to fly in to interview at a school, why advertise to everyone you are not interested in it?

15. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member

Hey lady in red - I hear you about getting a little too comfortable after your first interview. I feel like the same thing happened to me. The first interview was sooooo laid back, I felt like I got the electric chair for the second one (maybe it was just perception, but I felt charbroiled after my second interview.) Maybe if we all got a little fried on one of two interviews, we all still stand a chance! I really loved UCSF... sorry to hear about your fellow interviewees... mine were all pretty down to earth, well, except maybe for one ivy-league-r. Good luck, I've got my finger's crossed for all of us SDN UCSF hopefulls!