Hey! Let's resurrect a Temple discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here anything about Temple? I'm looking for ANY news.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if there has been any recent movement on the waitlist?

I got an interview invite today for temple

Members don't see this ad :)
boyz of 4d said:

Congrats! Good luck, please let us know your impression when you get back.

boyz of 4d said:
When did you get the appointment for - I have an interview scheduled for April 5

Good luck people!

I'm a recent Temple grad btw. If you have any questions, concerns, or gripes, don't hesitate to post them here or just PM me.

Just wanna be helpful!

boyz of 4d said:
Good luck boyz! My advice is to get there early. I was there near the end of January and the parking was horrendous. I left my hotel (~3 mi away) an hour before my interview and arrived at my interviewers office the exact minute I was supposed to be there. No kidding, I even had to create my own parking space and sprint across the campus twice. It's hard to find the admissions office, it's hard to find the interviewers' offices, and they're all plenty far away from eachother.

Other than that... enjoy! My interviewer didn't really seem to believe that I would go to Temple so be sure you know what is unique about the school that you're interested in. I also seemed to be unable to get across what exactly the application of my research was.

him: "tell me about your research."
me: "I worked out problems with the synthesis of certain isoxazoles, which have potential as chemotherepeudic amino acid analogues."
him: "what does that mean?"
me: "There's a drug, Acivicin, that has been shown to be particularly effective in fighting brain tumors. I was working on derivatives of that compound."
him: "In layman's terms please."
me: "I was developing potential brain tumor drugs."
him: "I don't understand."
me: "I was fighting cancer."
him: "huh?"
me: "I make bad things go bye bye."
him: blank stare
me: blank stare
him: "So what's the application of your research." chews on teething ring
me: "I hate you."

But I digress. Enjoy Temple!

I have an interview coming up at Temple in a couple weeks. Are late interviewees pretty much doomed to the waitlist?

size_tens said:
I have an interview coming up at Temple in a couple weeks. Are late interviewees pretty much doomed to the waitlist?

From what I have heard (from someone who interviewed there a couple weeks ago) was that you are interviewing for a spot on the waitlist right now. I'm going next week, so I guess the best I'm hoping for is a spot close to the top of that list!

Good luck!

-waitman

March 17, there were openings for the whole month of march.

Mapi said:
When did you get the appointment for - I have an interview scheduled for April 5

I just got invited for an interview too... when i checked, there was only March 30th and 31st available.

How did u guys get notice for an interview? E-mail of postal?

I received my invite by email today. It only gave me march 30th and 31st. If anyone interviews on the 31st, then I'll see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was anyone who was invited recently able to get an april interview, i couldn't seem to get to an april time selection using the scheduler. Thanks!

size_tens said:

I interviewed on Thurs. 3/3. We were told by the associate dean of admissions that the class is definitely full and we should expect a waitlist letter in ~3 wks. She was quick to add that there is always plenty of movement off of the waitlist during May and June, and that many times, they get to offer spots to all the people whom they would have had the class not been full. I hope this helps... Good luck to everyone.

when they say the class is full does anyone know if that just means that their class size is 200 and they've accepted 200?

oh

Last edited:
julie56 said:
when they say the class is full does anyone know if that just means that their class size is 200 and they've accepted 200?

Actually, the ADOM said that they do not overfill the class. So full means that they have sent out acceptances for their 180 seats.

dopaminophile said:
I also seemed to be unable to get across what exactly the application of my research was.

me: "I worked out problems with the synthesis of certain isoxazoles, which have potential as chemotherepeudic amino acid analogues."
me: "There's a drug, Acivicin, that has been shown to be particularly effective in fighting brain tumors. I was working on derivatives of that compound."

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

dopaminophile said:
Good luck boyz! My advice is to get there early. I was there near the end of January and the parking was horrendous. I left my hotel (~3 mi away) an hour before my interview and arrived at my interviewers office the exact minute I was supposed to be there. No kidding, I even had to create my own parking space and sprint across the campus twice. It's hard to find the admissions office, it's hard to find the interviewers' offices, and they're all plenty far away from eachother.

Other than that... enjoy! My interviewer didn't really seem to believe that I would go to Temple so be sure you know what is unique about the school that you're interested in. I also seemed to be unable to get across what exactly the application of my research was.

that is the most hilarious thing i've read all day (even though it's still early in the morning for me). what really happened with that interview?

MD5555 said:
Actually, the ADOM said that they do not overfill the class. So full means that they have sent out acceptances for their 180 seats.

i thought all med schools were required to overaccept by 2 X the size of the entering class? but maybe i'm just crazy and making up random rules...

shirleses said:
i thought all med schools were required to overaccept by 2 X the size of the entering class? but maybe i'm just crazy and making up random rules...

...or, the ADOM was just telling us what we wanted to hear. One thing I've learned in this process is that you should never take anything at face value. It is easier to lie to someone's face and let them find out the truth through the mail or over the phone.

shirleses said:

Nope... they need to only accept what they need to fill the class.

I got an interview from Temple on monday too. I doing mine on March 30th, so hopefully i might see some of you there. I do not think they would accept more people than spots. They just fill up the class and move people off waitlist as soon as someone declines the spot, never having more people accepted than official spots. I believe that is how they all work.

So I interviewed at Temple a couple of weeks ago and they said that the class is full and everyone is interviewing for a waitlist position. Now, my question is: What is a continuing candidate list? Is that a waitlist? The letter said that people are being accepted off the continuing candidate list and more movement will occur on the list after May 15th. Is there another waitlist? Have people been put on this continuing candidate list since the beginning? So confused.

Hey guys - this is what I took from the day -

I feel like the class is completely filled... ie: they have given out 180 acceptances, but no more. Then they have a lists of people they put on continuing candidates list, and they are grouped. There is a top group that they say they would have accepted outright if the space was available (but it's not). Then there are people on a list that they would have put on a typical wait-list (ie: they wanted to see whoelse applied).

She said that at the end of April they send out letters to the accepted students asking where they stand, more to get accepted students to start thinking about the process, and the impending May 15 deadline. They also send emails to the people on the "continuing candidates list" (everyone on there) asking if they are still interested. Then around May 15 -- they send out batches of acceptances, starting with the list of the people they would have accepted outright without the number constraints. Then I just assume they move to the waitlist, (the rest of the continuing candidates list).

She really ensured us that the continuing candidate list moves a LOT. My tour guide (a first year) said that the 5 people in her anatomy group were all on the continuing candidate list at some point.

I guess take that for what its worth. Right now I'm hoping to just get on the continuing candidate list!!!

waitman192 said:
Hey guys - this is what I took from the day -

I feel like the class is completely filled... ie: they have given out 180 acceptances, but no more. Then they have a lists of people they put on continuing candidates list, and they are grouped. There is a top group that they say they would have accepted outright if the space was available (but it's not). Then there are people on a list that they would have put on a typical wait-list (ie: they wanted to see whoelse applied).

She said that at the end of April they send out letters to the accepted students asking where they stand, more to get accepted students to start thinking about the process, and the impending May 15 deadline. They also send emails to the people on the "continuing candidates list" (everyone on there) asking if they are still interested. Then around May 15 -- they send out batches of acceptances, starting with the list of the people they would have accepted outright without the number constraints. Then I just assume they move to the waitlist, (the rest of the continuing candidates list).

She really ensured us that the continuing candidate list moves a LOT. My tour guide (a first year) said that the 5 people in her anatomy group were all on the continuing candidate list at some point.

I guess take that for what its worth. Right now I'm hoping to just get on the continuing candidate list!!!

Thanks -Waitman192 -so much for the information!! Helps me sleep. I guess this means I won't get rejected until May!...Still hoping on going there though. Good luck to you getting on the continuing candidate list!

ok , so i just got this continuing candidate letter that basically says congradulations on your eventual acceptance, does anyone know if everyone on the ccl gets the same letter or are there different letters based on what group you are in?

julie56 said:
ok , so i just got this continuing candidate letter that basically says congradulations on your eventual acceptance, does anyone know if everyone on the ccl gets the same letter or are there different letters based on what group you are in?

Really? I didn't read my letter like that. It was a "congrats on being on the list maybe you'll be excepted in May" letter. It starts with "we are pleased to inform you...." same or different letter?

It says:

"we are pleased to inform you that the admissions committe has completed an initial review of your application. THe Committee found your application to be impressive and we have placed you on the continuing canditates list.

We realize that you are anxiously awaiting our final letter of selection and that this anxiety may increase as the interval lengthens between the interview and and an eventual acceptance. " blah blah blah

i don't know maybe i'm just trying to read too much into the letter

julie56 said:
It says:

"we are pleased to inform you that the admissions committe has completed an initial review of your application. THe Committee found your application to be impressive and we have placed you on the continuing canditates list.

We realize that you are anxiously awaiting our final letter of selection and that this anxiety may increase as the interval lengthens between the interview and and an eventual acceptance. " blah blah blah

i don't know maybe i'm just trying to read too much into the letter

Good point. =p Guess I didn't read the letter closely enough! Hmmm, i guess I should learn how to read. I do wonder if that's what it means..."eventual acceptance" does sound nice! I wonder if that is a subtle indicator of where we are on the ccl? Nice. Sorry about my previous post...didn't want to get my hopes up for nothing!

Anyone know if Temple has a second look and if so when?

has anyone off of the ccl got an acceptance yet or are we in for a long wait?

MD5555 said:
...or, the ADOM was just telling us what we wanted to hear. One thing I've learned in this process is that you should never take anything at face value. It is easier to lie to someone's face and let them find out the truth through the mail or over the phone.
Well, I was right about not taking anything at face value. We were told to expect a waitlist letter in about three weeks, but I had an acceptance letter waiting on me when I got home today. :D This is one time I definitely don't mind being lied to. :thumbup: I really liked Temple and will probably go there unless I get in to my state school which would save me a ton of money. Good luck to all of you - maybe we will be classmates in August. :luck:

DeterminedMD said:
Anyone know if Temple has a second look and if so when?

My acceptance letter doesn't mention anything about a second look.

MD5555 said:
Well, I was right about not taking anything at face value. We were told to expect a waitlist letter in about three weeks, but I had an acceptance letter waiting on me when I got home today. :D This is one time I definitely don't mind being lied to. :thumbup: I really liked Temple and will probably go there unless I get in to my state school which would save me a ton of money. Good luck to all of you - maybe we will be classmates in August. :luck:

Congratulations on your acceptance! You interviewed on 3/3? I interviewed on 2/14 and was told that the interview was for a position on the wait list. I received a letter this week that informed me that I am indeed on a wait list. So it may appear that the wait list is moving or someone is not telling the complete truth. Hope I get in too!

Congrats! oh btw wat state are u from?

MD5555 said:

plattinum9 said:
Congrats! oh btw wat state are u from?
I'm from North Carolina.

phishman10 said:
I got an interview from Temple on monday too. I doing mine on March 30th, so hopefully i might see some of you there. I do not think they would accept more people than spots. They just fill up the class and move people off waitlist as soon as someone declines the spot, never having more people accepted than official spots. I believe that is how they all work.

I'll be there on the 30th too...

and Congrats MD5555, and good luck with the other NC schools too...

NCSUco04 said:
I'll be there on the 30th too...

and Congrats MD5555, and good luck with the other NC schools too...
Thanks. Good luck on the 30th - I really liked Temple and can see myself being happy there.

So I just got an e-mail....second look day is April 8th...details will be sent "shortly"........

has anyone on the continuing candidates list heard any news lately?

julie56 said:
has anyone on the continuing candidates list heard any news lately?

I don't think we'll read anything from them until after May 15th. Luck to all. May the universe be with you...

I interviewed on 3/16 and just got the CCL letter...I really liked Temple, so I hope I get in!!! even if I have to move away from my beautiful SoCal... :oops:

DoctorV09 said:
I interviewed on 3/16 and just got the CCL letter...I really liked Temple, so I hope I get in!!! even if I have to move away from my beautiful SoCal... :oops:

yeah same here, i wouldn't mind leaving so cal for philly...temple is an awesome school...good luck to you

plattinum9 said:
yeah same here, i wouldn't mind leaving so cal for philly...temple is an awesome school...good luck to you

thanks! you too! :)