Hey Mike

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by vtrain, Nov 18, 2002.

1. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member

Mike,

I'm considering doing an ocular disease residency and I was wondering, how you are enjoying your VA residency? What made you decide to do an oc disease residency and what advice would you give someone applying for one? I'm rotating through bascom palmer next year and I want to do one there, but I'm unsure if oc disease is the way to go. Cornea and Contact Lens is is also another possibility, but my interests lie primarily in pathology and disease. Your thoughts?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OD2BMike

OD2BMike Member

During school I had always thought a residency was the way to go for many reasons. I really enjoyed all aspects of optometry and couldn?t decide what to do a residency in. You will here some graduates say (especially ones that didn't do a residency), that residency is unnecessary because you'll learn all you need to know once you get into practice. Depending on which type of practice one chooses, this could be true. I think we are all well prepared to go into private, primary care practice upon graduation. A residency becomes more helpful for those that want to expand their knowledge and clinical skills for both personal reasons, and to open up doors. I choose ocular disease because I felt disease would be the hardest subject to learn on my own in private practice. You can fit contact lenses, or can do Low Vision by trial and error. Management of macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and herpes simplex keratitis and other potentially blinding problems probably should learned under the direction of someone who knows it well. That?s my opinion anyway. So far I am really enjoying this residency. The opportunity to manage ocular pathology is outstanding. The opportunity to see a population base with almost 100% disease and at the same time, work with experts the field is great.
    If you're considering a residency, I think the most important decision is to decide what area you would like to spend a year studying in depth. Don't worry too much about the value of the program as a career builder. Probably any residency will look good on your resume. As far as applying, it's not really that hard. I would encourage you to visit as many clinics, and talk to as many current residents as possible. Like optometry school admissions, different sites emphasize different things in their selection process. All programs will be looking for people that are enthusiastic about learning and want to work hard. Hope this has helped you. If you haven't checked it out yet, seniordocs.org has a good discussion on the pros and cons of residencies under the students and recent grads forum.

Please email me if you have any more questions.

Mike

4. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member

Thanks for your advice, Mike. Hey, I checked out the VA website and saw the pic of you slumped over your desk. They don't work you that hard over there, do they?! ;)

5. OD2BMike

OD2BMike Member

LOL. My supervisor, Dr. Cordes, is good at photographing us at our best moments. I only have myself to blame for falling asleep at the end of the day :) Check out the student photos, also very entertaining.