hey MOO we should start a letter of rec. therapy support group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've read a couple of your posts regarding your letters of rec--one was giving labor and you couldn't reach her, so you couldn't complete any files at any school.

Well I decided to follow up on one of my recommenders and it turns out he's in friggin' Hawaii! I heard this from a fellow classmate. I eventually got ahold of the prof. (he checks his email while on vacation)and he'll write it when he gets back in one week!

I feel so far behind. There's a few SDNers who already have interviews. If I foresought anything like this I would've asked for my letters a year in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You know, we really should. I never ever in my whole life thought that getting letters would be such a pain in the arse. Luckily, school starts in a week over here, and I know for a fact I can reach one of my profs, cuz he's teaching again, and as for the one who just had a baby, I know the husband well (he's a prof too). But it's not like they haven't sent letters in. They have--to U of Chicago and Columbia and a few others. It's annoying that I haven't heard anything from these schools. But I guess I just gotta sit tight. After all, mail does take about an extra week to get up here.

it's good to know that there are other people out there who are having the same problem. With all these people getting interviews, it just seems like I am falling behind the game. *sigh*

guys

my recommendation is to send the letters of rec u have to some schools and wait until ur respective faculty comes back....also, AMCAS is already far behind, so its not like ur going to miss the deadlines or anything....

I knew such a thing would happen so I began requesting letters of recommendation 3 years ago!!! :D talk about being head of hte game....its so funny, my freshman professor finally worte me the letter....what an A@@hole....of course, now I am in my senior year! (it will be completed in a month he said, A@@hole)

Members don't see this ad :)
By having recommendation letters as old as 3 years like the above poster, do they hold as much value as a fairly recent recommendation letter (within the last year)?

Count me in for y'all's support group.

..."I'd like to introduce you to our newest member, Smoke This."

(everyone speaking in unison a la Alcoholics Anonymous)"Hi, Smoke This"...

I too am currently searching for my "sure thing" letter writter. It appears that she is both gone and forgotten and I have yet to hunt her down. I hate letters of recs from professors.

I know exactly what you guys are talking about..........It took my about 6 months to finally get all of my letters in to the letter service. One still hasn't sent his in and he promised that it would be done by June 1st "no problem".

I gave them all gentle reminders and that was all it took for most of them, but some of them required multiple gentle reminders.

hang in there

later

My professors were great, but the doc who actually OFFERED/INSISTED on writing me a letter, and who claims to have some pull with the WWAMI adcom, has been a royal pain. He keeps saying he's sent it, and my school letter service keeps saying he hasn't.

My letter writers were great, but UCLA's service SUCKS!!!

They lost one of my letters. Seriously, it's gone! I actually have to get the prof to send a second copy.

Now I find out, that for every request to send out my letters, it's 15 business days for processing, then mail. ONE REQUEST AT A TIME ONLY.

Worse part, let's say I want to send out 3 letters to some schools, and 4 to others, then that's two requests, so I'd have to wait out the 15 days before they'd accept the second request. WHAT A PAIN!

I think only AMCAS and the DMV can figure out better ways to be convenient. :D

THE WHOLE WORLD IS AGAINST US!!! Just kidding.