• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Hey! Personality research folks!

ExpertHoopJumper

Jul 5, 2019
  1. Post Doc
Why are y'all so combative and contentious? You argue over definitions, descriptions, and methods more than disparate neuroimaging labs do (and FMRI methods are the Wild West). Chill out, my dudes.

Sincerely,

A neuropsychologist trying to do a fun personality-cognition paper

PsychPhDone

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2009
  1. Psychologist
Why are y'all so combative and contentious? You argue over definitions, descriptions, and methods more than disparate neuroimaging labs do (and FMRI methods are the Wild West). Chill out, my dudes.

Sincerely,

Can you hook us up with some examples?

About the Ads
Dec 8, 2014
  1. Psychologist

Sincerely,

Can you share some of your benzos?

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2013

Sincerely,

Well, I can hazard a guess why that might be your experience....

Reactions: 8 users

PsyDr

Psychologist
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
  1. Psychologist
1) Comparing the contentiousness of neuropsychs and personality psychs is like when star trek nerds argue with star wars nerds about who is a bigger dork.

2) All of psych is about putting labels on things. Ask any kid who the mean kid is in their class. They can do it in no time. Go ask a psychologist to define mean. When the psychologist gets finished talking, send the summary to my nursing home. Personality psychology is basically that field. They argue about the terms, because they are trying to put labels to constructs that are hard to pin down. It matters which words mean what. For example, it's probably important to differentiate trait openness from "stoner".

If you think neuropsychologists are not the same, start mixing t-scores with percentiles, with standard scores, with heaton labels, with wechsler labels, with brodman's areas, while saying the lesion is located in the telencephalon. Then go to one of the listservs and say that you are a board certified master's level neuropsychologist.

Reactions: 8 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.