Hey Yah-E how about helping a canuck out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plugger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I will be applying to some U.S. schools this summer and I just want to know at what schools will I have the best chance. In addition, since this will cost me serious cash, do you know what schools will be the cheapest to attend. I am keen on SUNY at Buffalo(close to home-I'm from Toronto)and UCONN because I've heard its a great school and it's cheap. How about Case Western? How about Kentucky? Those private schools in New York are at fortune- if I can obtain the same dental education for cheaper, then why not. My stats are..... GPA. ~3.94, CAN DAT: 19Academic, 15PAT(I know, I should have studied-I'm probably going to take the U.S.DAT), and I will have graduated with a four year honours degree in NeuroScience and Psychology by the end of next year. I am currently on the waitlist at UofToronto dentistry(almost impossible to get in- avg gpa 3.81 last year). Any input you may have, I would appreciate it if I could hear from you.

Members don't see this ad.

hey Plugger,

I'm also a Canadian going to Dental school in the states this year.

The only thing with SUNY Buffalo is that they're a state school, and will give major preference to their own state students over anyone else. So, regardless of your stats, it'll be very difficult to get into that school. Private schools, although more expensive, are probably your best bet. Detroit mercy is cheap, and private, so you can look into that one.

As for your DAT scores, with a 15 PAT, i'll be surprised if anyone offers you an interview, as that score is kind of low. You should write the American DAT and score in the 20s to be in a good position. Your GPA is very good though, so I don't know what schools would say exactly.

Best of luck, and if you want, you can PM me, as I'm also from Toronto, and I have some DAT books I might be able to sell.

Bucky

Plugger,

Thanks for refering to me for assistance. As far as your chances of getting into a U.S. school as a Canadienne, I don't think you'll have any problems! Your academic numbers looks great, I don't think you'll have problems getting in some of the U.S. private dental schools!

One thing I do recommend is to talk with Canadienne applicants such as Buckyball or Big_Poppa. Big_Poppa is a fourth year dental student at Marquette University and he usually helps out a lot of the Canadienne applicants and their questions. You can usually summon him in this forum or in the DENTAL forum. Good luck.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there schools that would consider Canadians with a 2.9 GPA with a 3.9 science GPA and a really good DAT score in the high 20's?

Thanks for the advice Yah-E, I knew you'd offer something useful. I'll try to get in touch with the members you spoke of. Thanks again.

Hi, I graduate from Marquette on May 19, just cleared out today. I would try to apply with your dat scores, I had a 15 in the carving and still got in at marquette. I know people from my class at Western that went to tufts, NYU and Columbia and of all 3 the person at columbia is the most dissatisfied.

As far as licensing goes you can easily get licensed in Canada by taking the NDEB in March, I took it and passed easily, so an american education is just as good if not better. You can also become licensed in the US by taking NDB 1 and 2 and a clinical regional test.

Just be aware that the state of NY does not allow Canadian citizens to practice in NY, but other states do. Also, I am going to stay in wisconsin and they are crying for dentists.