Hey, Yah-E

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pi__Guy1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up:

Just curious, what ever happened with Eric's roomate situation? He probably hates me. I hope everything turned out for the better...

Members don't see this ad.

Jeff:

Not soon after you told him the news, he had found a roommate that's also in our class. I knew that he wouldn't have any trouble finding a roommate since back then was so early in the game.

I'm sure he doesn't hate you as much as you think he does if at all. As matter of fact, he's currently in Europe somewhere backpacking so I'm sure he has forgotten all about us back in the States.

Another update, another "once Nova" has turned NYU's way last week. His first name is Arash and he will now be your classmate. Hope things are going well with you and your plans to start school.

I have 17 more days until Orientation! I can't wait.

Have you looked at our class web site yet? If not, check it out!

http://groups.msn.com/NSUCDMClassof2006

Take care,

Andy:cool:

Yah-e, good luck at Nova, and everyone for that matter. We are 2 weeks in at IU, and I love it. Anyways, I just thought I would complimant you on yur awesome web page. I think its cool that you set it up, its like meeting your classmates b/f orientation

Members don't see this ad :)
YahE That is a great website!
PiGuy- how about getting something like that started for NYU since you no longer have a thesis to worry about?:laugh:

Brian:

I was actually thinking about doin' that but I'm too lazy. How bout you use my thesis so you can use that free time to fire up an NYU homepage. :laugh:

Yah-E:

Sweet webpage! Who's that Tere girl? She's definitely a hottie. Looks like she's already taken though.:rolleyes: Good luck at Nova. Sounds like you have a cool class...

Steiner:

So what's it like? What's your typical day like? Any time to hit the gym? Clue us in!

i don;t hit the gym. I am afraid that I would loose my beer belly. Its an investment, many a $$ has gone into forming it. But if i wanted i would have time to go.

Everything is pretty slow now. Since we started earlier the school is using the time to get us intoduced to dentistry. We have a history of dentistry class. Its P/F and he gave us 300 questions to study, of those he will take 100 for the final. We also got ethics, again P/F. However on tuesday we start the cadaver disection. One nice thing about IU (of the millions of nice things), is that our classes go in blocks. So we have anatomy for 3-4 weeks, then a final. After that we start tooth morpology for 3-4 weeks, and finish the semester up with the dreaded biochem and physiology.
Overall my class is cool. The word is that 2 people have already left us. It sux for 2 people who never got in anywhere, b/c there are 2 empty seats now. OVerall things now are still in the orientation mode. IU is big on PBl so they are slowly getting us used to the PBL format. Also we have to watch d3's and d4's in the clinic, just to get orientated to the flow of things. Oh, and lastly we took a practice part I exam, some folks finished it up in 4 minutes. Not a bad time, if you ask me. I will admit that the test looks pretty scary, but then again I haven;t learned nothing about teeth or anatomy yet, I am sure it will all fall into place.
I personally like IU, i know its not for everybody. I wish everyone well in the next few weeks, and we should definately keep posting on SDN, and get a feel for what other schools are up too.

good luck steinter...reading your post makes me excited...I hope I get in!!! :D

Steiner,

Thanks for the post. I agree that all those who are matriculating should continue posting when they have time -- I want to get a feel for the different schools and that is a great way to do it.

-G

Nice post steiner. That got me all excited about starting too.....only 3 weeks until orientation for me. I'm moving to a city on the east coast with roommates I've never met and into a house I've never seen. All this only 1 day before orientation....and my room is still unfurnished. :eek:
Anyone else excited/nervous about school? I've been a total slack-ass all summer since I found out I was accepted and now I'm starting to worry about the lack of discipline. It's going to be a real shock. I haven't done much except sit around, watch movies, patrol SDN and get a gut and it's been WONDERFUL.
I think I'll try to ease myself back into routine...maybe tomorrow I'll wake up at noon instead of 1 pm.:D
Who else has those pre-d-school jitters???

Keep me posted on how PBL unfolds as IU is one of the schools that I've applied to. Also, once you've had a chance to experience the social scene both on and off campus, tell me what you think.

Good luck!

Speaking of getting pumped up for school....

Man...we start in two weeks!! So far we already have two assignments, one we collected teeth and two we received a carving kit so we got to carve.

Let you tell you about this carving kit, Nova started with my class and this is the first year that they did this "carving" thing. The carving kit is from the Canadian DAT, the kit includes:

5 soap bars (cylinder shaped)
X-acto knife
measuring ruler
permanent marker
Canadian DAT booklet (has the instructions on what to carve)

Out of the 5 soap bars, we're suppose to carve one "perfect" one so we can bring it to our first day of class so our Dental Anatomy instructors can evaluate our manual dexterity abilities as a class.

With the soap bars, we carve this specific shape with specific measurements. The shape is kind of like those aperture objects that we see in the Perceptual ability section of the DAT.

So for any of you applying to Nova, you'll be asked to do this assignment if you get accepted and if you decided to attend!

I'm excited to meet my class in person as some of us have chatted almost daily online since the inception of our class web site. Our web site had really provided a communicative tool for my class to meet and get to know one another prior to matriculation. It's kind of funny really, some of us already feels that we've known each for a while!

So far my class is a "cool" class, we've got two class trips suggested and planned already. One, to go to a Maimi Dolphins game and two, to go to the Florida Keys.

I'll tell you what, Steiner, I, too, have a beer belly, and believe me, I'm doing all my might to get rid of that!! Lastly, for all you NYU, Class of 2006, I am expecting you during Spring Break 2003!

Also, for you pre-dents and 2003 Cycle Applicants...good luck to you all and just remember, "YOU WILL BE A DENTAL MEDICAL DOCTOR"!!

:cool:

Yah-E,
That soap carving thing seems pretty cool. What do you have to carve? I would assume teeth, but I was looking at a Canadian DAT website and it said, "you will be required to carve a specific object".

Robf:

You're absolutely right...if you look at the Canadian DAT booklet, you'll see an "object" and that's what we have to carve! Canadian DAT takers carve that "object" as described in that booklet. Look easy...it's pretty challenging to carve!

Slippery grips
Soap chipping off
Tough to define/carve the 90 degree angles

I don't know how the Canadian DAT only gives you 30 minutes to carve that "object"!?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyway I could order one of those kits? I don't want to sign up for the Canadian DAT, I just want to practice with the soap.

very funny, but thats about right. The soap carving had three parts to it, on the actual DAT It was a triangle at one end and depression in the middle and a 45 degree slope at the other end, I thing the practice one made you carve a rectangle, depression and another rectangle 90 degrees to the first one you carved. Try using the back end of the knife to sharpen line angles - I hated carving I only got a 15 on the dat on the 3rd attempt!!!!

Yah-E:

How 'bout them Bears?!?!? They're already starting training camp in good 'ol Kankakee, IL this Friday. Football is just around the corner!

yes, the bears.

...and ditka

Man, I can't wait for football season to start!! I thought that the Bear's training camp is at Olivet Nazarane University in Bourbonnais? At any rate, get ready for THREE Monday Night games, baby!!!

D A A A A A AAAAAAAAAAAA B E A R S!!

Yup, it's at Olivett....which is in Bradley/Bourbonnais/Kankakee. They're all such small towns that they need to clump it together so people know where it is...

(I can talk smack about those towns...I used to date a girl from there)