Hey you guys!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPHazel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyy guys,
i have read some of the posts on this site and it seens to me that you guys are very helpful. i was wondering if u all could help me out. i am applying to dental school this year and i had a question for you all. i will have a BS in psychology and a minor in biology with a 3.4 GPA and 3.1 science GPA after this upcoming year. i havent taken the dat yet, but plan to do so soon. i went to a commnity school for the first two years of my undergrad (financial and family reasons) and now i am in an university. i wanted to see if i have any chance of getting into dental school with my low stats. also are the adcoms going to look down on me because i went to a community college for two years? i plan to apply to siu and uic (in state schools for me) and at bu and nyu. i would really appreciate it if u guys gave me some input. thanks so much and good luck to all u guys.

:love:sphazel :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are pretty good not awesome, but you don't need awesome grades to get into dental school.

Have you taken the DAT. IF not shoot for as high as you can get. Supposidly the DAT is the equalizer for undergrad schools. If you do really well on the DAT then you should have no problem of getting into a dental school. If you can hack it on the DAT then you can hack in Dental school.

Another thing also is to shoot for schools you know you'll having a fighting chance of getting into. Not to say that you couldn't get into HARVARD or top tier 1 dental school. But your chances are slim. So choosing schools that are in your GPA and DAT range should be considered. Plus you don't want to waste money. If you have an instate school shoot for that school. Your already at an advantage just by applying to state schools.

Finally DAT and GPA are good but schools do look at the whole picture before deciding on who to let in. I have a friend who starting this fall in SAN ANTONIO with about a 3.0 overall GPA and 16 DAT and they got in. He found out in the end of may ( it was later than expected) usually find out in December. nonetheless he is starting dental school.

sorry for the long reply but hope it helps

Some schools won't let your required course work (o-chem, gen chem, biology) come from community colleges. So make sure you check out the schools first if you took any of those classes at the community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought as long as the community college or university is accrediated then that should be okay. AS far as I know in order the university or CC to exist they had to be accrediated. am i right or am i wrong.

Well, hockey, I think that is the case for Texas schools. But, I think there are schools out there that want you to take your pre-reqs at a 4-year university. Don't quote me on that though. As far as Texas schools, they dont care where you take your pre-regs as long as it is an accredited university like hockey said.

However, with that said, one should strive for nothing but A's when taking community college classes, even if those classes are considered "harder" than your University classes. Do a search on this forum. There is great information on taking pre-reqs at community colleges, what to do vs what not to do.

Take as many pre reqs as you can at a University. An A from a University will look better than an A from a CC. But by no means are you not goin to get in if you take a few of your pre-reqs at a CC.

well, i took basically all my pre reqs at the cc since i had no other choice because i spent two years at the cc. also i plan to minor in biology so i will have upper level bio courses at the university and i am also going to take orgo at the university. also my gpa at the cc was about a 3.5, so i mean getting a 4.0 at a cc is easier said than done. so what do u guys think?

sphazel11

p.s. thanks for all the great replies, they are very helpful to me, i really appreciate it guys. thank you so much for all the help :) :love: