HG: Chances at the top schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Dr. Henderson!
First off, let me list my stats:
3.86 cum GPA, 3.77 sci GPA
34 MCAT (11, 11, R, 12)
History Major/German Minor

I've applied to 35 schools (a mix of upper/middle/"lower" tier) because this admissions
process scares the bejesus out of me. I've heard so many horror stories about kids
with my stats or better getting the boot...I just hope it doesn't happen to me. I've got
good volunteer experience and lots of research (though no pubs as of yet)... My goal is
to become some sort of primary care physician and I want to matriculate at a school
with a strong focus on clinical exposure and a case-based curriculum. I've applied to all
the top schools and have honed my interests to prioritize a select few over the others:

Yale
Duke
Penn
Case Western
U of Illinois
Southern Illinois

Reason? These schools offer a combined MD/JD Program...I am really interested in
ethics and health policy -- my goal is to use my experience as a physician to help solve
problems in these areas...I thought I would obtain the law degree in this structured
sort of program while I have the motivation and money! (I'm preparing for the LSAT
right now and taking it in October.)

So...what do you think my chances are? (Excuse the generic inquiry.) I've got an
interview coming up with my state school (UMDNJ) in about a week...any advice as to
what I should expect? (It's an open-file one-on-one interview.)

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

You definetly have a chance! And a very good one.
The TOP schools (top 25 or so) have extremely random admissions.

You are a shoe-in at most schools though, provided your interviewing skills and letters
of rec match your other credentials.

I'll try to write more later!

Best,

Jim

from HG:

Thanks for the post, Dr. Henderson...anything else re: the other stuff I wrote???