HHMI-NIH Research and Ophtho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mustafa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

Just found out I got into the HHMI-NIH Research Scholars Prog (aka "Cloisters"). I am interested in developmental neuroscience research, and have a particular interest to work in a SPECIFIC lab at NINDS (nat'l instit of neurological disorders and stroke), rather than any of the other labs I've seen at NEI (nat'l eye institute).

However, I feel that if I don't work at an NEI lab, I might hurt myself, or at least squander a world-class ophtho research opportunity and possible ophtho contacts, when applying for an ophtho residency (retina or neuro-ophtho fellowship?). However developmental neuroscience and ophthalmology are not completely separate fields either (eg not that I want to do a urology project but apply in ophtho).

Any advice? go for the lab at NINDS or find something at NEI?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
Stafa

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptance! The program is fantastic and you will have a great year.
There are many great labs and investigators, so the trick is finding a group of people you want to work with on a project that interests you. If developmental neuroscience is what you want to do - do it.
In regards to your ophthalmology app, the only way this will be a drawback is that *most* people reading your app won't know who the scientist is. If you go to a school with a strong program and already have a letter from a well-known ophthalmologist this is not a big deal. I would still do whatever intersts you most, just be aware of the pros and cons.
Have you looked at Wurtz (i think he is in the NEI)?
Feel free to PM me.

Later.
Jeremy

Do what interests you. If you work with something you enjoy, then you'll likely do a better job.

I studied the molecular and cellular mechanisms of Alzheimer's disease. I still find my knowledge of neuroscience helpful in ophthalmology.