HHS accepted medical residencies as " federally funded education programs."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please see the following new Department of Health and Human Services regulations. With these regulations, for the first time in the USA, medical residencies are accepted as " federally funded education programs", and federally protected by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Members don't see this ad.

Please see the following new Department of Health and Human Services regulations. With these regulations, for the first time in the USA, medical residencies are accepted as " federally funded education programs", and federally protected by the Department of Health and Human Services.

These are not new regulations. These are proposed regulations currently published for comment.

Also, the only protections they seem to extend are protections related to civil rights laws, namely discrimination on the basis of "race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in Department-funded health programs or activities". I'm not sure why you feel this is a revolutionary development or how it will significantly affect residency programs one way or the other.

It is revolutionary, but I would leave the rest of the research to you!

It is revolutionary, but I would leave the rest of the research to you!

... “yes, it’s revolutionary, but I’m not gonna tell you why, you just have to figure it out yourself, even though I’m the one that made the claim that it’s a huge change and disputed your claim that it won’t change much.”

Reactions: 4 users
Ha ha ha!!!! So funny!!! It should not take to much to search and appreciate the revolutionary importance of Title 9, Title 6 and etc in education, however, this post will not be enough!

I understand the frustration, but, the progress can only be made one step at a time, with continuous effort! In the medical field, we naturally accept medical residencies as education, and we are being evaluated as the "student doctors." We even have "training medical license." However, by the law, until this progress, we were treated just as "employees", with no right for education, not for the continuation of education, nor for the reinstatement of residency. This is the first time, medical residencies are being accepted as "education" on top of the already existing Title 7 nature! With Title 6, Title 9, the terminated residents will have right for the reinstatement of their residencies, otherwise, the "federal funding" provided to the residency programs by the Medicare Services can be terminated!

These Acts have already made revolutionary changes and it is great that this progress will continue in medicine !!! If you pay attention, as described by HHS, its regulations were behind the other federal agencies. Finally, HHS regulations are able to catch up with the standards of the day! And I agree we need more improvement, which will take action on top of the existing! If we refuse to appreciate and support this progress, we can't move further.

We have to work all together to get these regulations to become effective!

Please see the following Wikipedia pages as the start :

Last edited:
35lrbz.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Ha ha ha!!!!! Even funnier!!!!! Ok, I give up!!!!! Whoever doesn't appreciate the progress, should stay "status quo", I am moving forward with my exclamation points, which show the importance!!!!!! And the expectation of the provided reactions made me propose self-research, but there was no way out!!!!!!
My fault, I have provided the updated information!!!! I should not have provided and I do regret I did it!!!! My only humble suggestion would be to follow up the media to appreciate the revolutionary effects, since we may all need to benefit one day!!!!!! Then we can have a real conversation!!!!! Ha ha ha !!!!!

Last edited:
Medical residents always seem to waffle between "student", "trainee", and "employee" based on how they can be afforded the least amount of safe guards, rights, and benefits. For example my institution uses the argument that we are students, to basically refuse us the ability to have retirement benefits through the system. Literally every employee has matching benefits, even the dental and pharmacy residents, but we aren't "employees" like they are.

Whether we're defined as students or not, the legal system has almost always sided with big health care systems and/or universities over individuals. It is exceedingly easy to argue that someone should be dismissed or terminated, whether from a medical school or a medical residency. All you need is a handful of attendings paying attention and documenting every little mistake that everyone makes, and simply stating that this demonstrates an inability for the person continue.

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but it feels like that type of night...

Reactions: 1 user