Hi All, non-traditional pre-vet....opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olddodger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Here's my story:

Had my primary career implode (bad, bad time to be in aviation)...

But I currently have the "time off" and financial resources to go back to school full time...ideally, I would like to persue a DVM.

I didn't do so hot in undergrad (bleah, 2.5, but showed MUCH improvement over the 4 years in a hard degree), but later got a MS in a psuedo technical subject with a 4.0. I didn't take ANYTHING remotely biologically related (no bio, organic, genetics, nothing). Undergrad was 1989, and MS was 1999. According to most Vet schools' admissions departments, my few pre-recs accomplished (calc, chem, physics) are "stale", or more than 10 years old...so retaking them is a requirement.

When I was still working full time, I found that getting pre-recs were impossible via distance learning. I also discovered that vet schools, more so than med schoos it seems, are fiends about requiring you to jump through their hoops their way. See the above thread about attitudes towards non-trads, and multiply it. As much as I tried to get the pre-recs another way, I got trounced on by everyone at the merest mention of it (oddly enough, pre-vet students were the most voiciferous).

Anyway, fast forward to today...now I have the time to go back to school to do pre-recs. I have a local university (Nova Southeastern), that I have applied to. They have a almost all of the pre-recs and a pre-med program (biology)...its not Harvard, but it isn't a community college either. My plan? Take a semester of Bio and maybe Chem to see if I still have any operable brain cells. If it goes well, knock out the pre-recs, and go for it. Knock out some time working as a vet-assist or volunteer work along the way.

So, for those who may have gone this route...should I:

1) Forget it...call Truckmasters at 1-888-for-getit

2) Have hope, it's a possibility.

3) Practice, over and over, the phrase: "hot apple pie with that?"

Thanks for any input!

Best,
Oldie

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't received a reply, write a shorter question...