Hi guys,i am new here,need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodluckforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new here and is going to enter in 2010.My problem is :
1:I haven;t taken mcat yet and is ready to take in july or july .Will it be too late to apply for 2010?:scared:I am pregnant right now and baby will be born in april.
2:I don;t have any american education ,all my medical education and clinical experience,volunteer were in foreign.I have bachelor of medicine degree in other asian country.But i cann;t take the board because my major is not medicine in medine ,will these be ok for me to apply? I have enough premed course :oops:because i have studied almost all medical course and ever worked with tumor marker field.again all my experience was in other country.do i need to take premed course here and do volunteer here again?
where's my chance?:scared:thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure some of your pre-requisite courses have to be from a U.S. accredited college/university.

I think your best shot is to contact the medical schools you are interested in directly by phone or email and ask them how they handle international applicants.

I am pretty sure you will have to take the TOEFL test to prove your english proficiency.

But yeah, contacting some specific schools should give you all the info you need!

Best of Luck! I came to this country a few years back and now I am heading to medical school so it's definitely possible! :thumbup:

Thank you for your answer,i really apprieciate it .I did contact one medical school ,They told me to have my transcript evaluated and then go for mcat. some people told me that they changed the rules so i don;t need to take the TOEFL .:scared:I am old enough/ so i don;t want to take course here again .

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably need US experience. That your education was in a foreign, non english speaking country may mean you need some courses in an American university.

I would also recommend some English immersion-- your English is pretty good, but you might find it helpful to have "proved" it.

thanks a lot,then i go for esl? will it help? ah ,seems like it is impossible for me to enter medical school in 2010.

2010 is probably rushing things.

If there is a school near you, call and ask their pre-med advisor what is recommended.

Some schools- community colleges, generally- have "advanced" ESL classes that might be helpful. They could help you become more at ease with using English in varied situations.

where did you get your medical degree from. US has relationships with some asian countries so you only need to take the usmle and go for a residency from there. but it must be an approved country

I contacted USMLE,and i was told my major is not medicine in medince ,my major is clinical lab technology.so even my degree is bachelor of medicine i still cann;t be qualified to take the board.I contacted the medical school close to me they just told me to evaluate my transcripts in WES and see if i have enough credit.they accepted international student.:rolleyes:I spent 4 years in medical school and 1 year as intern in hospital before.Then i worked 3 years at CDC. 2 years volunteer in orphanage.crying,if i will be refused for no experience in USA.

I thought medicine was more than four years in China.

I thought medicine was more than four years in China.
Ours should be 5 year program,but we spent 4 years in school then 1 year as clerkship or intership just in hospital ,working with patients in different area,such as pediatric 4 weeks and oncology center 4 weeks and so on.After the 1 year'experience as internship finished and we will know if we were qualified for degree.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!,:)She did a good job.My weakness is i have a equivalent of MD degree from china not here.

I'm unclear as to why you need to enter a US medical school if you already have a foreign MD. Have you looked through this site: http://www.ecfmg.org/ ? Is your home institution listed in IMED? If your degree is legitimately the equivalent of a medical degree, then you may be able to sit for the boards with some work.

I know you talked to USMLE already, but you may wish to speak with ECFMG as I believe they are the ones who determine if a foreign medical graduate may sit for the boards.

I can't fathom the thought of starting medical school in the US if you already have a medical degree from elsewhere. Funding for non-US citizens is difficult to come by even if you gain admission somewhere with your foreign coursework.

I'm unclear as to why you need to enter a US medical school if you already have a foreign MD. Have you looked through this site: http://www.ecfmg.org/ ? Is your home institution listed in IMED? If your degree is legitimately the equivalent of a medical degree, then you may be able to sit for the boards with some work.

I know you talked to USMLE already, but you may wish to speak with ECFMG as I believe they are the ones who determine if a foreign medical graduate may sit for the boards.

I can't fathom the thought of starting medical school in the US if you already have a medical degree from elsewhere. Funding for non-US citizens is difficult to come by even if you gain admission somewhere with your foreign coursework.
Thank you, I did check ecfmg and my agree of medicine is equivalent of MD,even the WES evaluated it as equivalent of M.D.ecfmg has changed the rules to foreigners since 2004,which has a list only the major of medicine in medine in china can take the boards,and my major is not.My major belong to the small major in china just like the pathology .A lot chinese medical students in my major were refused.Some of them were qualified by ecfmg because they graduated before 2004.I graduated in 2004. Sounds ridiculous! yes it is .If i have any chance to take the board directly i won;t go for medical school here because of the money.But i don;t want to give up ,doctor is my dream and i had been there in china.sign!!

Thank you, I did check ecfmg and my agree of medicine is equivalent of MD,even the WES evaluated it as equivalent of M.D.ecfmg has changed the rules to foreigners since 2004,which has a list only the major of medicine in medine in china can take the boards,and my major is not.My major belong to the small major in china just like the pathology .A lot chinese medical students in my major were refused.Some of them were qualified by ecfmg because they graduated before 2004.I graduated in 2004. Sounds ridiculous! yes it is .If i have any chance to take the board directly i won;t go for medical school here because of the money.But i don;t want to give up ,doctor is my dream and i had been there in china.sign!!
Yes ,my home institution is in the list of ecfmg

WOW!

That really shows some resolve on your part to be willing to go through all this. A US MD is somewhat different than a foreign MD in that it is a second (graduate) level degree whereas most foreign medical degrees are undergraduate level. It is virtually required to have four years of college to begin medical training here. Your prior education may satisfy that requirement; however, you'll probably have to retake at least the pre-requisite courses at a US institution. The medical school admissions climate is rather competitive in the US. Your best bet at this point is to directly contact the institutions in which you are interested in applying. Primary information will always trump anecdotal evidence and opinions of strangers on the internet.

The thread I posted earlier has a lot more information than I can possibly offer. I still believe it will be a herculean task for you to be considered competitive this cycle, but keep us apprised of your progress.

Best of luck!