Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Hi Guys...need some help deciding how competitive I am..much thanks!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by 06mazdasports, Apr 19, 2007.

1. 06mazdasports

First of all, this is a great website, and it has probably helped so many students get crucial information.

My question to you guys is: How competitive am I?

I am a 3rd year student at Michigan State. I am a physiology major in the lyman briggs school of science.

I started my freshman year pretty rough. Here are my GPAs for the 5 semesters I have completed at MSU. I just want to see if this trend helps my situation. 1st: 2.07 2nd: 2.5 3rd: 2.87 4th: 3.67 5th:2.6 6th(currently in): ~3.0.

i have retaken 3 classes, Chem 1, Orgo 1 and orgo 2. i never failed any of them, but did poorly. i replaced all 3 classes from a 1.5 to a 3.0. Since D.O schools count only the retake grade(correct?-unlike Allopathic?), would I just calculate my GPA based on the retake grades?

IF SO, My Cumulative would be about 3.0 and my science GPA would be around a 3.1.

Also about everything else: I worked at a hospital one summer for 500 hours(it was paid). + volunteered at a health clinic for ~50 hrs, local hospital ~50 hours. 2 years here at MSU(I am a 3rd year now) I have held 2 positions on a major organization board. I dont want to list the organization for obvious reasons, but it would be considered one of colleges largest organizations. I was PR and VP in that order. Also, I started a business about a year ago, and although it is not medically related, it is something which is my hobby. I have had great sales, and also it is a registered business in my state. I plan on donating money soon also.

That being said i am 21, i have the ability to open great conversations, I am outgoing I would say, and i have great interest in medicine.

Would someone please be able to break it down for me and let me know what I need to get on my MCATs to have a decent chance of getting matriculted Fall of 08. I plan on taking the MCATs this summer. Should i take it twice?

THANKS![​IMG]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FrickenhugeMD

Medical Student
    Well, it really depends on your MCAT at this point. MSUCOM has one of the highest average MCAT scores of matriculating students, a 28. Average gpa is also around 3.4. As a senior in Human Bio at MSU myself, I would recommend making an appointment with the the advisor for the college of osteopathic medicine. From the appointment I had, I can tell you that she pushed GPA as the most important factor in the selection process, and not to let grades slip in trying to get a high MCAT.

Im not saying that its impossible, but it will be difficult. not sure about the standard for CCOM or LECOM, which are the next closest DO schools

4. polynikesdb

x

#3 polynikesdb, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Was looking good until the 5th semester

Wrong.

Still low.

Doing what?

All good. No reason for a college student to donate any money.

All useless if your grades & MCAT arent there.

Take it twice? You havent taken it once? Why would you take it twice?

Get a 32+

6. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    Retakes aren't counted into the GPA, but they will be seen on the report.

7. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    AAMC factors in all grades (original + retake) in GPA, but AACOMAS only uses the retake for GPA calcs......though the original will be seen.

It's that 5th semester that's going to be a problem, up until then you were improving each time which is what they want to see. I had a similar situation, my first two years were bad, took a break from school and then started back by getting my AA degree, then finishing my Bachelors degree while maintaining around a 3.6 or so the past few years. The avg my first two years was probably down around ~2.4. So do whatever you can to keep grades up this semester and then you're last year. Even if it means cutting back on some of your extracurricular stuff, make sure you do really well next semester.

I was gonna suggest maybe take a class or two over the summer to help but if you're doing the MCAT then you may just want to focus on that. Don't worry about a specific number, just devote some time to it and do as good as you can. I went into mine wanting at least a 30 b/c of my lower GPA.

Make sure you have some good experiences you can talk about from your ECs and volunteering..... doesn't matter if you volunteered 10,000 hours if you have nothing to talk about or if it didn't impact you in some way.

Anyway, there's always hope, especially if I can turn things around and make it.

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly, so whats the difference?

You go in with a "calculated" 3.2 but really have a 3.0...and the AdCom can see the F.

AACOMAS way of making the stats look better. Doesnt fool anyone, trust me. We see all the grades.

9. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    Just depends on who's looking at it and what they care about. If it's calculated at 3.2 then that's what they're first going to see and compare to any "cutoff" GPA they may have in their mind. Not like it's a "fake" GPA or not real, just two different opinions on how GPA should be calculated, I don't think it makes one way right or wrong, I personally see the reasons for each way.

I personally wasn't asked about mine, just had a general question asking about my first couple years when I struggled, I explained and that was that. That's definitely not going to be the case everywhere, just depends on who's looking at, the moon phase, and what they had for lunch......

10. lateapplicant

Pre-Medical
    I would say focus all your energy into improving your GPA (current courses, not just retakes). EC is great, but you need an acceptable GPA for them to look at your application seriously.

3.0 isn't the end of the world, but you have to show them you are capable of higher.

11. Agreed. However, one situation it may be better for is when a student shows very poor grades in the beginning year. He then buckles down in his last three years and shows marked improvement (in essence, his transcript looks like 2 separate people's). The A.A.C.O.M.A.S.'s method of G.P.A. calculation would be more accurate for him.

Computer, Riker authorization M.T. Baker, out.

12. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    With thousands of primaries coming across each adcomm's desk, I doubt they take the time score the report to check that that "A" in orgo was originally a "C" (*gasp*). They probably look at the raw score initially. Once you've got your foot in the door w/ the 2ndary and/or interview, that original grade isn't a big deal.

13. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Perhaps.

But listening to some people explain an F in organic is FUNNY sometimes.

14. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I bet, maybe that should be a new thread..... "Funniest explanations given for a failed class"

15. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    You would be suprised how many people actually say "the professor didnt like me"

I stopped using that one on my parents in 6th grade.