Hi, I have a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iownhonda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently attending a small university in Canada and I am very curious about the American medical school application process. I have ok gpa about 3.8~ and "trying" work ethic. But my real question is, would going to a small university in Canada have a negative impact on me when I am applying to medical schools down in the states? Do American medical school see Canadian universities very differently or as equal?

Members don't see this ad.

Iownhonda said:
Hi, I am currently attending a small university in Canada and I am very curious about the American medical school application process. I have ok gpa about 3.8~ and "trying" work ethic. But my real question is, would going to a small university in Canada have a negative impact on me when I am applying to medical schools down in the states? Do American medical school see Canadian universities very differently or as equal?

correction, you have a great gpa.

Iownhonda said:

Are you a Candian citizen? If so, I think that would make it more difficult for you to get in more than anything else. It's hard for foreigners to get into US med schools as anyone can tell you. Weren't you one of them docmemi or am I thinking of someone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
docmemi said:
correction, you have a great gpa.

Yeah. If 3.8 is an "OK" gpa, what's a good gpa and what's a great gpa? (3.9 and 4.0 respectively?) Then a 3.7 would be a medicore gpa and 3.6 would be a bad gpa. Maybe Canada has severe grade inflation we don't know about. :confused:

Alexander99 said:
Are you a Candian citizen? If so, I think that would make it more difficult for you to get in more than anything else. It's hard for foreigners to get into US med schools as anyone can tell you. Weren't you one of them docmemi or am I thinking of someone else?

no. i think you mean calbee.

Alexander99 said:
Yeah. If 3.8 is an "OK" gpa, what's a good gpa and what's a great gpa? (3.9 and 4.0 respectively?) Then a 3.7 would be a medicore gpa and 3.6 would be a bad gpa. Maybe Canada has severe grade inflation we don't know about. :confused:

canadian med schools have some steep cutoffs and seem very difficult to get into. perhaps thats why a 3.8 is just okay. :confused:

i think gpa in canada is on a 5.0 scale

Going to a Canadian college's still better than going to a college that's further away. However, most schools will want you to have taken at least one year of classes in the U.S. before you apply.

And it'll be harder to get in. Most schools don't consider int'l students, so you should find out about this for all the schools you're interested. Even if the schools do consider int'l students, they may hold them at a higher standard for admission.

Conquistador said:
i think gpa in canada is on a 5.0 scale

eeek. then a 3.8 would be a B/C avg.

Hahaha, you Americans never cease to amaze me. No. Most Canadian schools are on a 4.0 scale (some giving an A+ to equal 4.3 [like Cornell does]).