Hi is this a good school list for a URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonguetalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had no idea where I should post a question like this. Im just a regular black guy at a top 20. My gpa is a 3.4 and my mcat is a 34Q. I have had to overcome quite a bit of adversities my whole life but I dont focus too much on that in my app. I have basic research and volunteering experiences abroad and Ive even organized a few community health fairs. Im wondering if this is a good list of schools or if Im aiming too high or what. Im also an Ohio resident.

Schools with shortened preclinicals were a HUGE plus for me, then location.

Baylor
Columbia
UCLA
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Morehouse
USC
NYU
UPenn
Stanford
OSU - my state school
Tulane
UCSD
UCSF
UVA
Vanderbilt
Yale

Should I add any others or take any off? I have FAP so its not terribly expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your school list, I can't tell if this is a troll thread or not.

Oh no Im not a troll!! lol I just want to know because I dont think that my stats are that great but my friends and advisor thinks that I should apply to these schools. I want to submit tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
i've read quite a few places that african americans have the "easiest" time getting into med school. your mcat is awesome, but your list is really top heavy. maybe add Howard? you're a near shoo-in there.

sorry didn't mean that to come across as derogatory at all^, just saying you're gonna have a good shot at a lot of the schools you posted despite the low-ish gap because you are URM and your stellar mcat.

i've read quite a few places that african americans have the "easiest" time getting into med school. your mcat is awesome, but your list is really top heavy. maybe add Howard? you're a near shoo-in there.

sorry didn't mean that to come across as derogatory at all^, just saying you're gonna have a good shot at a lot of the schools you posted despite the low-ish gap because you are URM and your stellar mcat.

No worries :) I was also thinking about adding Cincinnati, another state school. I was wondering if I should take any off because the more I add, the more expensive it gets (plus interviews :cry:) and Im like dirt poor haha

Also, am I wasting my time applying to CA schools since Im not from there?

Yeah man, your stats are good but a 3.4 GPA is pretty below the average 3.7-3.8 required for a typical applicant at these places (I know URM is different..), and the automatic primary filters may get ya. I think you need to apply more broadly to schools outside the top 30. Not saying you shouldn't keep the reaches, but add some more that aren't in the "top 20" in terms of the highest number averages.

Good luck

Last edited:
The "Morehouse" variety? You guys are so stupid. Be considerate. Your list is ok, but as said above is quite top heavy. I would add

FIU
FAU
AMC
NYMC
UMASS
UVM\

No worries :) I was also thinking about adding Cincinnati, another state school. I was wondering if I should take any off because the more I add, the more expensive it gets (plus interviews :cry:) and Im like dirt poor haha

You would probably get into Toledo, Wright State and NEOCOM if you need a couple more safety schools. Also look into Oakland and Wayne State since they would be close (less expensive if you get an interview).

Definitely cut down on the top schools by A LOT. When you get to top programs, the URM applying there usually have heavy stats anyway, so you status won't save you from the 3.4. Also, no info on the sGPA, but if it is 3.3 or less, I suggest applying to a max of 5 top schools.

Hi, I had no idea where I should post a question like this. Im just a regular black guy at a top 20. My gpa is a 3.4 and my mcat is a 34Q. I have had to overcome quite a bit of adversities my whole life but I dont focus too much on that in my app. I have basic research and volunteering experiences abroad and Ive even organized a few community health fairs. Im wondering if this is a good list of schools or if Im aiming too high or what. Im also an Ohio resident.

Schools with shortened preclinicals were a HUGE plus for me, then location.

Baylor
Columbia
UCLA
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Morehouse
USC
NYU
UPenn
Stanford
OSU - my state school
Tulane
UCSD
UCSF
UVA
Vanderbilt
Yale

Should I add any others or take any off? I have FAP so its not terribly expensive.

Chicago's not too far of a drive. Have you considered UIC, NU, and Chicago?

The first one is especially URM-friendly in terms of both admissions (even to OOS) and atmosphere. (Cool tidbit: UIC graduates the most Latino, Black, and White doctors of any school every year.) The downside is that their facilities are a bit old.

I hate when people suggest that the only schools URMs can have an advantage at are the historically black ones. Not true. Shoot for the stars OP. Apply to as many reach schools as your wallet allows, and definitely make sure to apply to all your state schools to be safe.

Definitely cut down on the top schools by A LOT. When you get to top programs, the URM applying there usually have heavy stats anyway, so you status won't save you from the 3.4. Also, no info on the sGPA, but if it is 3.3 or less, I suggest applying to a max of 5 top schools.

So oddly enough, my sGPA is a bit higher a 3.5, not great but not terrible.
I've also have some pretty bad experiences during undergrad that kinda led to my grades going down a bit.

You would probably get into Toledo, Wright State and NEOCOM if you need a couple more safety schools. Also look into Oakland and Wayne State since they would be close (less expensive if you get an interview).

Ahh see that's the other thing, my school is no where near OH... I think that I will apply to Wright State and Cincinnati and just kinda see how things go. Im planning to do everything early.

Also, to those who suggested that my list was top heavy, are there any in particular that I should definitely take off?

I hate when people suggest that the only schools URMs can have an advantage at are the historically black ones. Not true. Shoot for the stars OP. Apply to as many reach schools as your wallet allows, and definitely make sure to apply to all your state schools to be safe.

It's not true. That's why nobody suggested it.

Why? I understand it may be a money issue but I dont really understand why people like to throw limits on reach schools. As long as you have a solid safety mix and understand that you MAY be losing the money that goes to the top schools, I see nothing wrong with applying to as many top schools as you want.

Why? I understand it may be a money issue but I dont really understand why people like to throw limits on reach schools. As long as you have a solid safety mix and understand that you MAY be losing the money that goes to the top schools, I see nothing wrong with applying to as many top schools as you want.
I'm assuming that the list of schools also represents the number of medical schools the person is willing to apply to, so for example, if you're applying to 10 and 8/10 are top schools, it would be better if it were 3/10. Less or more depending on the stats.

Ahh see that's the other thing, my school is no where near OH... I think that I will apply to Wright State and Cincinnati and just kinda see how things go. Im planning to do everything early.

Also, to those who suggested that my list was top heavy, are there any in particular that I should definitely take off?

You chances probably aren't real great at the public California schools (UCLA, UCSF, UCSD) due to the steep OOS competition. A 3.4 and 34MCAT are probably below average for an OOS applicant, even with the URM status. If you are willing to apply to all the schools on your list, I say go for it because you never know if a school will like you, but if you were trying to cut schools, I would say the UC schools would be the first ones to cut.

You chances probably aren't real great at the public California schools (UCLA, UCSF, UCSD) due to the steep OOS competition. A 3.4 and 34MCAT are probably below average for an OOS applicant, even with the URM status. If you are willing to apply to all the schools on your list, I say go for it because you never know if a school will like you, but if you were trying to cut schools, I would say the UC schools would be the first ones to cut.

Hmm I guess you are right, I have always wanted to go to CA and I missed my chance for undergrad haha. I guess if they like me enough they'd invite me to the interview and thats where I can be selective because flights are expensive.

The "Morehouse" variety? You guys are so stupid. Be considerate. Your list is ok, but as said above is quite top heavy. I would add

FIU
FAU
AMC
NYMC
UMASS
UVM\

I didn't mean it as an insult! I was just saying he might not want to apply to all of the top 20 schools in terms of stats required with a low GPA! Morehouse isn't a bad school and I wasn't saying he needs to go to a historically AA school, I'm sorry if I offended you, I edited my post to reflect what I really meant.

I didn't mean it as an insult! I was just saying he might not want to apply to all of the top 20 schools in terms of stats required with a low GPA! Morehouse isn't a bad school and I wasn't saying he needs to go to a historically AA school, I'm sorry if I offended you, I edited my post to reflect what I really meant.

Dont worry, I wasnt insulted at all, I totally understand where you are coming from. Im going to add Cincinnati to my list as well. I guess I kinda figured that if I have a good chance at a lower tier school, I might as well increase my odds at the upper ones. I'll be happy no matter where I go though. I do hope that this process is more than just a numbers game though as I believe Im more than what my gpa and mcat says.