Hi new to the DO board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gpannu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys can anyway tell me a link or books where i can read more about osteopathic medicine. I'm considering to apply to an Osteo school instead of allopathic. Are they just as competitive.....

Members don't see this ad.

Hello and Welcome! There are several links and lots of information on this website... just go to studentdoctor.net and click on some of the osteopathic links. Also, you can check out www.aacom.org which has information on all of the osteopathic schools and also general info. Osteopathic school is competitive, and you can learn more from these sights. If you have any quetions, feel free to post. :)

It is difficult to say whether or not osteopathic schools are just as competetive to get into (that's what I assume you mean by competetive). There are more people applying to allopathic schools but there are also more seats. I know the ratio is about 2.6 applicants per seat, according to AACOM literature. I think that in general the requirements to get into a DO school has been slightly lower comparetively, but that gap is closing fast.
I think finding some literature on the DO history and philosophy is an excellent idea since what seems to be one of the biggest factors in the selection process is your reasons for choosing a DO school. I wish I could start throwing names of authors and titles your way, but off hand I cannot. I would suggest going to your local library and looking up something under "osteopathy" or "Andrew Taylor Still", since he was the founding father. This web site seems to be loaded with good books, I would check out the names from what they recommend.
All in all the education will be very similar, with the exception of OMT training you will receive as an osteopathic student. Therefore, it really is a question of philosophy. I wish you the best of luck in your search and I hope you are inspired by what you read, I know I was. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
gpannu,

Try and do a search in the forums regarding suggested books for reading....

The most popular read for osteo is Norman Gevitz's "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America." Most osteopathic schools actually require their students to read this book...

Anyway, welcome to SDN.... Keep on postin'

Later, :cool:

Hey guys thanks....I should have mentioned I'm Canadian. The reason I'm telling you giys is that I am wondering if there are any citzenship/resdiency requirements to attend D.O. schools?