1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Hi!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Machie, Jan 14, 2000.

1. Machie

Machie Junior Member

Hi! I'm a second year science major at Villanova University and just recently found out about this webpage. I was just skimming some of the pre-med questions and answers and was wondering if I'm on the right track: So far I have completed all the credits necessary for my major, but I have to take bio for the MCATs. I was thinking about taking the 8 credits this summer, but I also wanted to do research for the experience. I'm not sure what is more important as far as timing myself to do everything in the right order...if that makes any sense? I would definitely appreciate any suggestions! Thanks for your time!

Heather

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Heather,

Thats great that you are taking on so much, but try not to burn yourself this summer that your GPA suffers. That will affect your admissions when applying. Also, have you started doing health care volunteer work or summmer programs. Its good to get that going NOW. Research is great, but if you don't do some health care work or programs, it might be hard to convince an admissions comm that medicine is right for you if you didn't do your part. Good luck to you!!!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

4. Machie

Machie Junior Member

Hi! Thanks so much for writing back...that was fast! I appreciate your advice and agree that I need to get some experience in the health care field now. I tried applying at a hospital near my house to do pretty much anything they needed. They only had some volunteer work on the weekends and that has not worked well into my schedule in the past, but do you think maybe I should try again for something this summer along with the bio courses? I'm starting to do research this semester with my first semester organic prof, so I'm not as concerned about that, but I was wondering if it's worth it to do it over the summer for a different university, closer to my home. Also I wanted to ask you about GPA's. I know they are a significant factor in med school acceptance, but as hard as I work, I'm just not one of those kids who can pull 3.8's...I really try, believe me...but my current GPA is only a 3.3. That is great for my major, but not for what I want to do with it. I'd just be interested to hear your thoughts...I promise this is the last time I'll write tonight! Thanks again!

Heather

5. Nav

Nav Member
    10+ Year Member

Heather,

Make sure you get as much health care experience as you can. You cannot get into medical school if you do not have any. Also, it will help you decide if medicine is the right career for you.
    If you are not a 3.8 student (not very many of us are) you can still get into medical school. You just have to make up for a lower average by exceling in the "other" areas: healthcare related work, MCAT scores, life experiences, etc. Also if your grades show improvement year to year, then it also helps your chances.
    I am a little confused about why you want to pack so much into your summer. Are you going to write the August MCAT? Don't stress yourself out too much, the bio section of the MCAT is the easiest.
    Good luck, hope I've been of some help.

6. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Nav's right....

When I was a pre-med, I worked hard to maintain a good GPA but I tried to do a lot of different things especially if its health-related. Over the summer, I inquired around for summer programs preferably health-related ones & applied for them.

They give you great experiences plus IT WILL help you decide if medicine is THE ONE for you. By doing all these things, I was able to write a compelling essay when I applied to medical schools.

For ex, "By participating in the __, I was able to learn what some of whaT the field of medicine entails". This is more believable to admissions comm folks because it SHOWS you are INVESTIGATING for yourself.

If you keep up your grades, do well on the MCATs, & do a lot of health-related activites as well as research if you can, you chances into medical school will be golden. But remember that thousands of other pre-meds are also doing the same, so need to keep afloat if you want to compete well for admissions. Good luck to you!! [​IMG]

Rob

7. Machie

Machie Junior Member

WOW! Thanks to both of you for writing back all the great avice. It will definitely help me in deciding what I will do over the summer. I was planning to take the bio courses and then try the MCAT in August, but I was worried about burning myself out and as you both said, I would like to get into some health care work to see if I really want to do this in my future. I took summer courses last summer to get ahead this year and if I take classes again, I will have been "in school" for 3 straight years without more than 3 weeks of a break in between semesters. I think I'm going to be tired, so maybe I will look into doing some chem research this summer and volunteering in a hospital during my free time. At any rate, thank you again for your suggestions!
    Heather

8. Paul's Boutique

10+ Year Member

Just to check: You are in your second semester of your 2nd year?

What's the rush?? [​IMG] Take your time, enjoy yourself----and don't stress about the MCAT! Take it in the spring of your Junior year (Apr. 2001, right?)... you'll do fine. If you're really sweating it, try a prep course this fall/winter (TPR, Kaplan...)

------------------
    -PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

9. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

PB is right.....

It admirable that you're doing a lot, but try & enjoy life NOW because when you begin your medical school life FINDING FREE TIME will be a hot commodity [​IMG]

Finish up bio in your junior year & at the same time start looking into MCAT Preps for the April administration (2001?). Above all that do some health-related work or research on the side (a few weekends, a few days of the week). If you do well on the April MCAT, you can start applying that summer (June?) for entering class 2002 (during your entire senior yr). The earlier you apply the better your chances. That's why taking the MCAT in April & doing well is a huge advantage.

However, if you don't do well on the April MCAT, you have another chance to take in Aug & still be on time for applying to the entering class of 2002.

Lastly, if you don't get in during undergrad, take a year or 2 off like mostly everyone & do different things. Gain some more life experiences because admission folks LOVE that. Sorry for babbling... [​IMG] Good luck to you!!!

Rob

10. Machie

Machie Junior Member

I'm sure I probably do sound like I am in a rush. The reason for that is because there are so many requirements for my major and also Villanova is a liberal arts college so when i graduate I will have a degree in chemistry as well as a full background in liberal arts. The curriculum is so strict that it's really hard to plug things in unless you overload. Many of my classmates, since we are all interested in medicine, are in the same boat. We are all considering biology I and II this coming summer and that way we have the credits required for med school as well as the knowledge for the MCATs and can still maintain our normal course load, (16-20 credits) during the regular semesters. My personal situation involves doing research over taking bio because I have not yet had any research experience. As I think I mentioned before, I will be working with my past organic prof this semester, but I am not sure if I should continue during the summer and put bio off til the summer after my junior year and then I am assuming take the MCATs in August? I know this sounds like I may be thinking way ahead of myself, but in order to not fall behind on anything I need to know what I am doing soon. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions...they are very helpful and encouraging!!

Heather

11. mickerbocker

mickerbocker Member
    10+ Year Member

hey machie...
    in one of the other topics someone said that it is more imoprtant to take the mcats in april so that you can get your applications in early... i think most med school application submission dates open up in early june... waiting till august might limit your options... check out the everyone page... i'll see you later...
    mikki
    by the way are we having the chem around the world tonight?