Hi

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Noeljan, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Noeljan

Noeljan Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone
    I was wondering if anyone has taken the August MCAT and gotten into school?
    I am wondering bc I am finishing my Nursing degree(going into my last year:) but will not ba able to take the april MCAT, so the Aug would be my first. My GPA now is around a 3.55, but hopefully it will be a 3.7 for graduation(I'm retaking a class:) I have some xtra curricular activities, three years on my schools national cheering team, Sorority(pres of recruitment, social chair, publicity chair), Mortar Board honor society(Vice president) Vol. at local hospital, gymnastics team, a few more but I cannot think right now.
    What do you honestly think my chances are, and if I do take the Aug MCAT am I at a huge disadvantage?
    Please help, oh and I would be looking into NYCOM. How much is the tuition?
    Thanks a bunch:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ThePreacher'sWife

I took the August MCAT and got in. I just think you really need to be on the ball and get your apps. and secondaries in promptly. Some may disagree, but I think it puts you only at a slight (not huge) disadvantage.

4. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

I'll agree that there is a slight handicap in taking the MCAT in August v. April. SLIGHT being the key word there. For some odd reason, the majority of candidates apply in the Fall instead of in the summer (June 1st start date). Timeline being August MCAT - October results. Your pretty much in the mainstream of the application process. Make sure all your other materials are in though.

One word of advise I'll give... Stay on top of AACOMAS/AMCAS. They had my application in one file and my transcripts in another. They never thought to merge them until I kept calling them (instead, I kept on getting letters that my app was incomplete).

Good luck!
    -A

5. labruy69

labruy69 Member

ThePreacher'sWife, i love your quote!!! I saw that whole poem on the wall in one of the doctor's offices where I shadowed. I've been trying to find it in a frame for 2 years! Do you know where I can get it? sorry this is totally off topic :rolleyes:

6. Smileyfree

Smileyfree Member

I agree with the previous posters that the disadvantage in taking the August MCAT is slight. You can also think of it this way... if you really feel that you will not be ready by April and you take the MCAT anyway because you are worried that August may push you too far back in the cycle, you may not do as well as you could have, which would actually put you at even more of a disadvantage. Just something to think about.
    Oh and you asked about NYCOM's tuition. I will be an MSI at NYCOM in August and tuition this year is $27,451 plus mandatory health insurance (apporox. $2,800), books, fees, and living. It's expensive to live here so it all adds up to be ALOT but I really think the school is worth it. The clinical affiliations are unmatched by the other osteopathic schools and from speaking with tons of docs, that's the most important part of medical training. If you have any questions about NYCOM please feel free to ask. I wish you tons of luck during the exausting process of applying to medical school!

~Free

7. Noeljan

Noeljan Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hey Smiley
    thanks for the info.
    I have another ques about NYCOM, how long is there winter and summer breaks? I ask bc I will have my RN and would like to know what sort of breaks I will have to make some cash:)
    If you don't mind me asking, how much to you expect to pay for rent??
    Also, are there convenient gyms in the area for students?
    Thanks a lot