hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental doc80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi sdn members
i have a small question and would be really helpful if someone can help me with it.....i am planning to apply for DDS program for foreign trained dentist in states...a friend told me that in order to apply to these programs we have to be either US citizens/canadian citizens or permanent residents of these countries.....so do all the colleges require these criterion...i used to think that it was the other way round and that only 2-3 colleges required the applicants to be citizens or green card holders.....so will i be able to apply for advanced placement DDS as an international student on a student visa since i dont meet the above criterion...
any help is extremely appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

dental doc80 said:
hi sdn members
i have a small question and would be really helpful if someone can help me with it.....i am planning to apply for DDS program for foreign trained dentist in states...a friend told me that in order to apply to these programs we have to be either US citizens/canadian citizens or permanent residents of these countries.....so do all the colleges require these criterion...i used to think that it was the other way round and that only 2-3 colleges required the applicants to be citizens or green card holders.....so will i be able to apply for advanced placement DDS as an international student on a student visa since i dont meet the above criterion...
any help is extremely appreciated

Hi,
You are right ... only few dental schools require that the applicant has to be a US citizen on green card holder... ( University of Florida College of Dentistry, University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry, State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry ) ... these are the schools which I know of which require US citizenship or green card... most other schools accept international students.. I think in terms of financial assistance/loans etc, it is helpful to have a US citizenship or green card or Canadian citizenship or PR card... or else you dont have any disadvantage as an international student as long as you get an admission and have the finances...
Hope this helps,
:thumbup: Good Luck

hi..
i can add a bit more about canadian schools...

inorder to apply to the canadian schhols you have to be either a landed immigrant or you have to be a full canadian citizen - in ether case, you have to be issued witha social insurance number (SIN), which is what they want before you apply to even write the eligibility exam (the canadian equivalent to the NDBE).

hope the above helps.
regards.. :)