Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hiatal Hernias

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by MacGyver, Apr 23, 2004.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Membership Revoked
    Removed

Someone I know has been diagnosed with this (dont know which type, paraesophageal, or sliding).

He had symptoms of GERD, and later had difficulty swallowing.

Apparently, the surgeons decided that it needed treatment.

They "wrapped his esophagus" as part of the surgery, and he has had 3 separate surgeries.

1) Is it normal to require 3 surgeries to fix a hiatal hernia? I was under the impression that these are easily fixable by laparascopy.

2) What is "wrapping the esophagus"?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Machiavelli

Machiavelli Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

1) Hard to answer without particulars of the case: what type of hiatal hernia, grade, whether there were complications with the original surgery, etc.

2) "Wrapping the esophagus" probably refers to a Nissn fundiplication, where the fundus of the stomach is twisted around the distal esophagus and stapled in place in order to try and reduce the reflux of acid into the distal esophagus.

4. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

try posting in the surgery forums: you'll probably get a better response.

5. Vision

Vision Member
    7+ Year Member

3 surgeons? they must really suck!!!! this should be an easy procedure. There is this guy my school that does it with Lap. Should'nt take 3 of them!

6. Docxter

Docxter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually Nissens (mostly done laparoscopically these days), as simple as they may seem, have a relatively high complication rate. A lot of times they become too tight, or they "open up", sometimes requiring reoperation. I've seen a few EG junction leaks as well, although this one should be rare, but I guess the reason we see it every now and then could possibly be because it's done in a training intitution.