Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hidden gems for this years cycle

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Throwaway692015, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Throwaway692015

Hi all,

I was wondering if you all know of any schools that would be hidden gems to apply to as an oos applicant? For example any school expanding their class significantly this year, or rumored to accept a higher percent oos this cycle due to a new dean or something like that. Just looking for a few hidden gems for this years cycle beyond the well known ones or obvious from the msar. Thank you everyone and best of luck to all applying!

I'm lizzyM 68-70 ORM

2. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I doubt there's gonna be any. Just apply broadly and hope for the best.

3. WedgeDawg

WedgeDawg not actually a dog
    Moderator Verified Expert 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    California Northstate is the closest thing to a "hidden gem", but from the looks of thing, it's more like a "hidden pile of poo". You can get more information on the 2015-2016 school specific thread for CNU and on the high-profile on in pre-allo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Goro likes this.
  4. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Not sure about the "gem" part of "hidden gem" for CNU haha; the general advise on SDN seems to be avoid unless you have no other MD or DO school that takes you.

OP your best bet is to give us more info rather than a vague Lizzy M score which can mean many different things(a 3.8/32 is in far better shape than a 3.4/34) and give us your school list. That's what can help you.

WedgeDawg likes this.
  5. Throwaway692015

Cool can do. About 300 hours of clinical volunteering. Decent amount of research. One year of work at a science lab (not technically research). And I am a reapplicant, but I feel my school list last year really was a big flaw in my app. Mcat between 31-32 and gpa between 3.6-3.8.

I'm mostly looking for some more public schools that would favor a CA applicant and was just hoping for a couple more to add to my already verified app. Thanks all!

Schools list:
    (Publics)

All sunys
    Evms
    Vcu
    Ouwb
    Uc davis
    Ucsd
    U Vermont
    U Minnesota
    Toledo
    Boonshoft
    Cincinnati
    Iowa carver

(Privates)

Rochester
    Mayo
    Gw (reapplicant)
    Gtown (reapplicant)
    Slu
    Philly triplets
    Rosalind franklin
    Medical college Wisconsin
    Jefferson

6. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So you are a re-applicant? What is your state of residence and where did you apply last cycle? That matters alot

If you aren't from Minnesota, Iowa or Ohio I can't really recommend Minnesota, Iowa, Cincinnati or Toledo. Also if you want to be in California your best chance by far is with Western and Touro. If you fit Loma Linda's mission(emphasis on fitting their mission not applying there because you like the location) that is also a good option. UC's are just crap shoots even for the best of them.

EVMS, VCU, Oakland, Vermont, Saint Louis, Philly schools, Rosalind, and MCW are all fine.

Here are some more to add. You're a re applicant; look at it as do or die time so I would add as many of these as possible
    Rush
    Loyola
    wake forest
    tufts
    quinnipac
    western michigan
    creighton
    NYMC
    Albany
    WVU(maybe)
    Tulane
    Penn State
    Miami

Any DO school. Like I said Western and Touro are good options to begin looking at.

WedgeDawg likes this.
  7. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    UCD accepted zero OOS people last year.

I recommend:

Miami
    St. Louis
    Albany
    Rochester
    Rush
    Rosy Franklin
    NYMC
    VCU
    EVMS
    Wake Forest
    Jefferson
    Temple
    Drexel
    Creighton
    George Washington
    Tulane
    Loyola
    Creighton
    Any new MD school, except Hofstra and Central MI, FIU, FAU and UCF

Any DO program.
    Your state school.

8. Throwaway692015

Excellent thank you for the info everyone!