Hidden gems for this years cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway692015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if you all know of any schools that would be hidden gems to apply to as an oos applicant? For example any school expanding their class significantly this year, or rumored to accept a higher percent oos this cycle due to a new dean or something like that. Just looking for a few hidden gems for this years cycle beyond the well known ones or obvious from the msar. Thank you everyone and best of luck to all applying!

I'm LizzyM 68-70 ORM

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt there's gonna be any. Just apply broadly and hope for the best.

California Northstate is the closest thing to a "hidden gem", but from the looks of thing, it's more like a "hidden pile of poo". You can get more information on the 2015-2016 school specific thread for CNU and on the high-profile on in pre-allo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
California Northstate is the closest thing to a "hidden gem", but from the looks of thing, it's more like a "hidden pile of poo". You can get more information on the 2015-2016 school specific thread for CNU and on the high-profile on in pre-allo.

Not sure about the "gem" part of "hidden gem" for CNU haha; the general advise on SDN seems to be avoid unless you have no other MD or DO school that takes you.

OP your best bet is to give us more info rather than a vague Lizzy M score which can mean many different things(a 3.8/32 is in far better shape than a 3.4/34) and give us your school list. That's what can help you.

Cool can do. About 300 hours of clinical volunteering. Decent amount of research. One year of work at a science lab (not technically research). And I am a reapplicant, but I feel my school list last year really was a big flaw in my app. Mcat between 31-32 and gpa between 3.6-3.8.

I'm mostly looking for some more public schools that would favor a CA applicant and was just hoping for a couple more to add to my already verified app. Thanks all!

Schools list:
(Publics)

All sunys
Evms
Vcu
Ouwb
Uc davis
Ucsd
U Vermont
U Minnesota
Toledo
Boonshoft
Cincinnati
Iowa carver

(Privates)

Rochester
Mayo
Gw (reapplicant)
Gtown (reapplicant)
Slu
Philly triplets
Rosalind franklin
Medical college Wisconsin
Jefferson

Cool can do. About 300 hours of clinical volunteering. Decent amount of research. One year of work at a science lab (not technically research). And I am a reapplicant, but I feel my school list last year really was a big flaw in my app. Mcat between 31-32 and gpa between 3.6-3.8.

I'm mostly looking for some more public schools that would favor a CA applicant and was just hoping for a couple more to add to my already verified app. Thanks all!

Schools list:
(Publics)

All sunys
Evms
Vcu
Ouwb
Uc davis
Ucsd
U Vermont
U Minnesota
Toledo
Boonshoft
Cincinnati
Iowa carver

(Privates)

Rochester
Mayo
Gw (reapplicant)
Gtown (reapplicant)
Slu
Philly triplets
Rosalind franklin
Medical college Wisconsin
Jefferson

So you are a re-applicant? What is your state of residence and where did you apply last cycle? That matters alot

If you aren't from Minnesota, Iowa or Ohio I can't really recommend Minnesota, Iowa, Cincinnati or Toledo. Also if you want to be in California your best chance by far is with Western and Touro. If you fit Loma Linda's mission(emphasis on fitting their mission not applying there because you like the location) that is also a good option. UC's are just crap shoots even for the best of them.

EVMS, VCU, Oakland, Vermont, Saint Louis, Philly schools, Rosalind, and MCW are all fine.

Here are some more to add. You're a re applicant; look at it as do or die time so I would add as many of these as possible
Rush
Loyola
wake forest
tufts
quinnipac
western michigan
creighton
NYMC
Albany
WVU(maybe)
Tulane
Penn State
Miami

Any DO school. Like I said Western and Touro are good options to begin looking at.

UCD accepted zero OOS people last year.

I recommend:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Tulane
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, except Hofstra and Central MI, FIU, FAU and UCF

Any DO program.
Your state school.

Schools list:
(Publics)

All sunys
Evms
Vcu
Ouwb
Uc davis
Ucsd
U Vermont
U Minnesota
Toledo
Boonshoft