High as a Kite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JZZZZZZZs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ha! Got your attention, huh? Here's my question...
Does anyone know the physiological mechanism of "Runner's High?" Does it have to do with endorphins, serotonin or dopamine?
I went running today for the first time in a few months and can't believe how much it has affected my studying and ability to concentrate. It's amazing!!!! Instead of getting up every 20 minutes to check the contents of my fridge, I can sit still for a couple of hours. Also, that spliting tension headache that's been around since I first started studying for the MCATs in January is noticeably gone today!!! And I'm awake right now, at midnight?!!???!! WOW!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

and i thought you were gonna talk about drugs here. well on a tangent, i saw a drunk patient today. he was screaming incoherent things. the nurse started the IV and drew some labs for me at the same time. I had the fun job of keeping his arm straight while she poked him in the medial cubidal vein. at least he didn't spit.

i think the runner's high is caused by a release of endorphins. this is based on hearsay knowledge which at times is accurate.

just as I suspected...fooled by my catchy title!!!hoooohaaaaaa (evil laugh)
and yes, I'm still high (not to mention awake)...from running! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
no no no...coffee and I do not mix. It's bad...very bad! I'm in search of a natural concentration booster.

oh god. flashbacks to my endocrinology seminar last semester. i had to learn all the details about runners high but of course, i've forgotten it all.

i think beta-endorphins (neurohormones), are the ones involved. it acts as endogenous morphine, which numbs pain and produces the "runners high."

Wouldn't adrenaline / sympathetic nervous system input have something to do with this as well?

<a href="http://psychology.about.com/library/weekly/aa081000a.htm" target="_blank">http://psychology.about.com/library/weekly/aa081000a.htm</a>

That site is a little on the crackpot side, plus what it does not mention is the recent research that points to phenylethylamine as the source of runner's high.

I don't know about any new research, but traditionally it's attributed to endorphins.