High cost of tuition at Australian schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcat92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for medical school at several australian universities but am fairly hesitant due to the high cost of tuition... I'm not sure if I'll attend if I get in. Given that doctors don't earn as much in Australia and taxes are higher (and I would plan on staying for residency and beyond), how is everyone planning on affording such tuition around 50k/yr? I know it can get high in America, but american doctors are also paid much more... Obviously most people are taking out student loans, but for that much each year... wouldn't that get very risky very fast? What do you guys think?
If you had the option to become a permanent resident first, would that be a better idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying for medical school at several australian universities but am fairly hesitant due to the high cost of tuition... I'm not sure if I'll attend if I get in. Given that doctors don't earn as much in Australia and taxes are higher (and I would plan on staying for residency and beyond), how is everyone planning on affording such tuition around 50k/yr? I know it can get high in America, but american doctors are also paid much more... Obviously most people are taking out student loans, but for that much each year... wouldn't that get very risky very fast? What do you guys think?
If you had the option to become a permanent resident first, would that be a better idea?

Becoming a permanent resident first is a much better option, you might even then be eligible for a commonwealth supported place (in which case the fees are about 1/5 of what international students pay).

Furthermore, if you just go to Australia as an international student there is a possibility that you won't be able to stay. Most medical schools are drastically increasing enrollment, faster than they are creating post-graduate internships (essentially the Oz version of the first year of residency). Australia is making an effort to insure that all commonwealth-supported students in medical school get an internship post-graduation. They also want international students to get an internship but obviously this is not a priority for them at the moment.

You're right about the cost. Not only is tuition expensive but the cost of living is much higher than in the United States, which is another thing to consider.

It's probably a bad move to take $300-350K in student loans and then remain in Australia. You make more money working in the United States so it's easier to pay off student loans. Although, Australian interns make $80K AUS per year and work better hours than US residents who make $40-50K per year. However, once you complete residency in the US your salary jumps considerably.

which state offers aud80k/yr for interns?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys... similarly, the requirement of a student visa says you need 15,000AUD per year. How do you manage that? Do you take that out of a student loan? That's a lot more money I would think... Hmm...

Thanks guys... similarly, the requirement of a student visa says you need 15,000AUD per year. How do you manage that? Do you take that out of a student loan? That's a lot more money I would think... Hmm...
get it from your folks or work part-time. 15k is barely enough for rent and food.

I get it from my student loans. I also do some part-time work, but the student loans have a pretty generous allowance for living expenses.

Thanks for replying Shan.... that sounds good! Are you planning on staying in Australia after you graduate? I'm mostly just nervous because of how high the loan balance would be... but it would pay off in the long run right?

I'm planning to go back to the US. As far as the loan balance, you're not the only one worried about it... but if it's a big concern, there are a lot of special loan-repayment options for American GPs who want to practice in the military or in public clinics in areas of need.

Let me see if I understand this...because this will be the first time I will be international student...I have to pay yearly for my student visa to study on top of the tuition...and its 15k/year...this is not possible...PLS HELP!!

Let me see if I understand this...because this will be the first time I will be international student...I have to pay yearly for my student visa to study on top of the tuition...and its 15k/year...this is not possible...PLS HELP!!

No, they're just telling you that you should anticipate $15k/year for living expenses.

loooool a sigh of relief :)

That could have been the make or break

thanks