High failure rates for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan711us

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if any of you know what the average failure(attrition) rate is for pharmacy students? I read that for Albany Pharmacy it's about 10-25% I guess that's not a really high number, but it does worry me a little. Is it that difficult to get passing grades???? My MAIN concern would have to be with biochemistry. That's the one that I can see myself having a little difficulty......I would hate to have worked so hard, only to get kicked out!!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno what the rates are but i expect they'd be low..once your in the school..they wanna keep you there.. they don't wanna loose out on you 20G a year tution.

Ya, agree with above. No one failed out of my class at UOP, but we did have people drop out. Those that stuck it out found a way to get through and never failed a class. Some couldn't handle the pressure, thought they were going to fail, or decided they didnt want to do pharmacy, but none of them flunked out.

I did know of one student that was held back a year because she failed, but she got an F because she got caught cheating and not because she didnt pass the tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our attrition rate is something like 2 or 3% if I remember correctly. I asked the dean at my interview in March. So, about 4-5 students/130 (class size). I don't know if that counts people who HAD to leave (family divorce or something).

I think we lost 6 of 65 my first year, and another 2 the end of second year. That seems to be the norm for my school.... as the size of the class hasn't changed. We got the leftovers from the class ahead of us too :rolleyes:

At MWU-CPG, we lost about 10% of our class over three years. Quite a few left because of personal issues, but some were held back for failing grades.