High GPA. Low MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hayley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to an average state school. I'm a double science major and double science minor with a 3.98c and 3.96s gpa. I'm absolutely AWFUL at standardized tests, so my practice AAMC tests were anywhere from 27-31. I recently took the real thing (won't be getting scores back for a month) but I'm feeling like I scored a 27 :/

I have strong extracurriculars: volunteering, leadership positions, shadowing, research, competitive surgery program, strong LORs, etc.

I've been thinking maybe I should apply to post bacc programs? I just don't know what to do with an application that is strong, but majorly weakened by my MCAT. Any advice would be wonderful!

Members don't see this ad.

When I left the testing center after taking the real MCAT, I literally thought I scored a 25. I ended up with a nicely balanced 30. Do not worry. Enjoy yourself, after all you have been studying for awhile and deserve a break. If the results come back and they are not what you hoped for, then you can decide on what your next steps will be then. Don't worry i've talked to a good number of people who felt like they tanked the exam and came out doing rather well. Just relax!

Also, postbacc programs are something that you do not need to look into as you already have a stellar GPA.

I go to an average state school. I'm a double science major and double science minor with a 3.98c and 3.96s gpa. I'm absolutely AWFUL at standardized tests, so my practice AAMC tests were anywhere from 27-31. I recently took the real thing (won't be getting scores back for a month) but I'm feeling like I scored a 27 :/

I have strong extracurriculars: volunteering, leadership positions, shadowing, research, competitive surgery program, strong LORs, etc.

I've been thinking maybe I should apply to post bacc programs? I just don't know what to do with an application that is strong, but majorly weakened by my MCAT. Any advice would be wonderful!

GPA: superb
ECs: fantastic
LORs: strong
MCAT: lower than you'd like
PS: written yet?

I don't feel at this point a post bacc program would be of much benefit. They are use to improve a student's GPA and ECs. You don't need assistance in either of those. The key question is your goals for medical school?
  • Do you need to be at a top tier school, or is any MD or DO (if you wanted, you're very qualified for MD though) good enough?
  • Do you really want to be at a strong research institution or enter into an MD/PhD program?
  • Do you have solid state school(s)?
  • Do you have the slightest idea what you want to specialize in? Aka competitive specialty vs primary care

My highest AAMC test was a 32. I got a 35 on the real test. Don't worry and try not to count your chickens before they hatch. Honestly, even if you get a 27, you can get into an MD school if all the other aspects of your application are as strong as you've described. That being said, if you want a top tier school, you'll need a higher MCAT (33+). Not sure how you studied for your MCAT previously, but you may need help from a class. Classes are aimed at helping students who are poor test takers learn the methods to correct that. You sound like a smart gal(?), so I'm sure you could score well on the MCAT with the right prep. Have you considered a class?

TL;DR - you're a strong applicant and can get into schools even with a 27. If you want a top school, improve your MCAT with a retake.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: superb
ECs: fantastic
LORs: strong
MCAT: lower than you'd like
PS: written yet?

I don't feel at this point a post bacc program would be of much benefit. They are use to improve a student's GPA and ECs. You don't need assistance in either of those. The key question is your goals for medical school?
  • Do you need to be at a top tier school, or is any MD or DO (if you wanted, you're very qualified for MD though) good enough?
  • Do you really want to be at a strong research institution?
  • Do you have solid state school(s)?
  • Do you have the slightest idea what you want to specialize in? Aka competitive specialty vs primary care

Honestly, even if you get a 27, you can get into an MD school if all the other aspects of your application are as strong as you've described. That being said, if you want a top tier school, you'll need a higher MCAT (33+). Not sure how you studied for your MCAT previously, but you may need help from a class. Classes are aimed at helping students who are poor test takers learn the methods to correct that. You sound like a smart gal(?), so I'm sure you could score well on the MCAT with the right prep. Have you considered a class?

TL;DR - you're a strong applicant and can get into schools with a 27. If you want a top school, improve your MCAT with a retake.

Thanks so much for this! My personal statement is done and I've had multiple people read it (advisors and my school's writing center.) I would be ECSTATIC if I got into any MD school. I live in Florida, so I consider myself lucky with 7 fabulous opportunities ;) Also, I'm really interested in forensic pathology (one of my majors is forensic science.) I took an MCAT class, but it wasn't a typical class. It was taught by one of my professors, not a private institution. I guess I'm just nervous because I feel like I'm in some weird limbo between being a competitive MD applicant and not being a good fit for a post bacc program or Caribbean medical school. Do you think I should maybe apply to St. George's? I know I should just wait to get my score back and figure it out then, but I'm a planner and I'm just worried :/

Edit: When you left your testing center after your MCAT, did you feel good about it? A 32 to a 35 is a big jump and so amazing!!!

Thanks so much for this! My personal statement is done and I've had multiple people read it (advisors and my school's writing center.) I would be ECSTATIC if I got into any MD school. I live in Florida, so I consider myself lucky with 7 fabulous opportunities ;) Also, I'm really interested in forensic pathology (one of my majors is forensic science.) I took an MCAT class, but it wasn't a typical class. It was taught by one of my professors, not a private institution. I guess I'm just nervous because I feel like I'm in some weird limbo between being a competitive MD applicant and not being a good fit for a post bacc program or Caribbean medical school. Do you think I should maybe apply to St. George's? I know I should just wait to get my score back and figure it out then, but I'm a planner and I'm just worried :/

PLEASE DO NOT GO CARIBBEAN! Matching back is hard into the "noncompetitive" specialties and incredibly rare for the competitive ones. DOs outmatch Caribbean schools every year. Plus, the tuition rates are astronomical, along with the dropout rates.

If you're that concerned about getting accepted, toss in some DO schools. Even with a 27, you'd have a higher MCAT than the average matriculant at almost every schools. And the average GPAs are ~3.5, which you have more than covered.

Florida residence is great! Apply to them all!

1. FIU
  2. FSU
  3. Miami Miller
  4. Florida Atlantic
  5. Nova Southeastern - DO
  6. UCF
  7. UF
  8. USF

I'm no adcom, but I truly believe you could get multiple interviews from these with your GPA, ECs, and LORs. Try to not worry about the MCAT yet. You've done a lot to build your application already, and schools will see that. You'll be fine :D :thumbup:

Repense to your edit haha: I didn't feel especially good. I was predicting around a 31, and my average on AAMCs was a 31 (I only took 2 haha). I took the test a year before applying anticipating I would need to retake. That's how worried I was. My BS was lower than expected, but I did well enough on VR and PS to more than compensate. Surprises happen!

Last edited:
PLEASE DO NOT GO CARIBBEAN! Matching back is hard into the "noncompetitive" specialties and incredibly rare for the competitive ones. DOs outmatch Caribbean schools every year. Plus, the tuition rates are astronomical, along with the dropout rates.

If you're that concerned about getting accepted, toss in some DO schools. Even with a 27, you'd have a higher MCAT than the average matriculant at almost every schools. And the average GPAs are ~3.5, which you have more than covered.

Florida residence is great! Apply to them all!

1. FIU
  2. FSU
  3. Miami Miller
  4. Florida Atlantic
  5. Nova Southeastern - DO
  6. UCF
  7. UF
  8. USF

I'm no adcom, but I truly believe you could get multiple interviews from these with your GPA, ECs, and LORs. Try to not worry about the MCAT yet. You've done a lot to build your application already, and schools will see that. You'll be fine :D :thumbup:

Okay, awesome! Thank you so much. You've helped a lot :oops: :thumbup:

I go to an average state school.

UCF is a superb institution, thank you. I like to call it the Ivy League University of the Southeast.

Last edited:
Take the exam first, when you're fully ready, and only then worry if it's not to your liking.

UCF is a superb institution, thank you. I like to call it the Ivy League University of the Southeast.

Oh I totally agree!!! I just didn't think most non-Florida residents would know much about it? The med school is a different story… that school is building quite an awesome name for itself :)

Last edited: