high GPA/ Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herenow

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering what interviewers would think about a high GPA and a low MCAT. I have a 3.86 GPA but only a 27 MCAT (due to a 7 on the verbal). My mom thinks that people will question my GPA because of my MCAT score. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have a good shot for interviews considering you have a high gpa and a decent mcat. the only thing is the 7 in verbal. i also scored a 27 and I have a 3.9. The difference is that i got a 10 in verbal(most important section) and a 8 in Physics (least important), and 9 in bio. if u think u cand drastically improve, retake. if not, work on the strengthening the rest of your app. you will get interviews, and probably an acceptance.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by herenow:
•Hi I was just wondering what interviewers would think about a high GPA and a low MCAT. I have a 3.86 GPA but only a 27 MCAT (due to a 7 on the verbal). My mom thinks that people will question my GPA because of my MCAT score. What do you guys think?•••••I know someone with stats almost exactly like you, 7 in verbal, etc. They were accepted, on their second time through.

It's not going to be easy. Very few people get in with a 7 verbal. And a non-URM getting in with a 7 verbal is ~almost~ unheard of... there are always exceptions. As I always like to say "Sure you ~could~ get in with a 7 verbal... and you ~could~ win the lottery tomorrow." Those very very few people who do get in with a 7 verbal usually apply more than one year (like the other poster mentioned) and they have a lot of extras that make them attractive applicants.

If I were you, I'd retake.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses, yea the verbal is my biggest weakness and hard for me to improve on. But thanks again for all the input! =)

7 in verbal is not unheard of. Ask rxfudd he got 7 9 10 and got ACCEPTED at RUSH and how many people get in with an 8 in verbal I know 3 personally from the top of my head. APPLY! Give it a shot. GOOD LUCK!

If you look at the data, you'll find others with high GPA/low MCAT scores in Tufts, Rochester, and George Washington. There are a reasonable number of VR7s in medical school to justify applying. I agree with a previous poster that assuming verbal is just about maxed out, you are better served spending the time strengthening your application elsewhere.

Good luck.

PS: I know a non-URM at UCLA that had a 7 in verbal. Biology scores are the highest for people entering medical school, so as long as that wasn't your 7, things are still hopeful.

9 9 9/3.66

6 interviews

1 acceptance (so far :wink: )/5 waitlists

your gpa is much higher and schools will appreciate that!

rxfudd got in (as mentioned above) with a 3.8 gpa and a 26 MCAT, so it can obviously be done!

Applying early is key....and make sure you have a kickass personal statement to comensate for the 7 :)

good luck!

Thank you guys so much for the replies! I really didn't expect all this help, it really a nice surprise. But the truth is that I actually already applied last year, and I got into texas tech. I had been really disappointed, and my mom thought that it was the problem with the high GPA, low MCAT combination. I thought about reapplying, but I didn't want to waste my time since all I really want is to be a good doctor. And it has put my mind to ease that people keep telling me that I can get a good education anywhere in Texas. I still am a bit sad, because I had hoped for more. But I have realized it is going to be fine. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of my situation. It is nice to hear that other people in the same situation have done so well. It just shows that interviewers or medical school board members do understand that it is the GPA that shows how hard someone is willing to work to become a doctor than a MCAT score. (at least that's what I think =) ) Anyways, thanks very much for all the replies! Good luck with everyone in either medical school or applying to medical school!

You could also think of it this way...thousands of students had to go through these past few months without being accepted to any schools at all.

Med school is hard...no matter where you go. Plus, I heard that the anatomy professor at Tech is amazing!