High GPA, Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edagosti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- I'm new to the forum so any advice would really be appreciated!

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.82 from Bowdoin College (+.2 on GPA, according to a respectable source).
MCAT: 30 (VR 11, BS 10, PS 9).
Two published papers
The usual experience- shadowing, lab work, volunteering
I now work as a science teacher at a school for high school students with learning disabilities. I plan on going into neurology so I love seeing how the kids learn (though teenagers, surprise surprise, can be a serious pain in the butt).

1) What do you think my odds are and 2) how can I explain my low MCAT? I studied hard but had serious anxiety about the test. I'm not usually that anxious about exams- something about the content just never clicked. I'm afraid to say that I'm not a good test taker, because I don't want schools to think that I'll do poorly on the boards. I can't fathom taking it again- I don't think I could do any better no matter how hard I studied.

Let me know what you think? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my stats:
Two published papers
I now work as a science teacher at a school for high school students with learning disabilities. I plan on going into neurology so I love seeing how the kids learn (though teenagers, surprise surprise, can be a serious pain in the butt).

1) What do you think my odds are and 2) how can I explain my low MCAT? I studied hard but had serious anxiety about the test. I'm not usually that anxious about exams- something about the content just never clicked. I'm afraid to say that I'm not a good test taker, because I don't want schools to think that I'll do poorly on the boards. I can't fathom taking it again- I don't think I could do any better no matter how hard I studied.

A 30 is not a low MCAT. That is 2+ over the average of any DO school. Your GPA and MCAT combined make you very statistically competitive at DO schools and leave you with a good chance at MD schools if you apply well/broadly.

Two published papers

Your MCAT isn't "low". Any score that starts with a 3 really shouldn't be called "low". :)

Are you applying next cycle or are you in this cycle? If you're in this cycle, what's happened so far?

if you're applying next cycle, just avoid schools that screen for less than 10 in any section, apply to some mid ranked and unranked privates, your instate publics, and some DOs.

BTW...the +2 for your high GPA. Are you saying that med schools would give you that? or LizzyM calculation? or what?

Members don't see this ad :)

Here are my stats:
Two published papers

I have very little advise for DO schools. However for MD programs, I think that if you apply broadly then you will be fairly competitive for most programs. I don't think that your MCAT is low or needs explanation. My advise or question, is to get the most out of your ECs. By that I mean try to assert yourself into these activities so that you get an in depth experience and write about them and talk about them in a way that will demonstrate personal growth. If you have already been doing this then great. Keep up the hard work! Remember stats are not everything.

Good Luck!

I won't comment on chances but CU Denver told us that the class of 2016 is 42% OOS students. As a state, Colorado traditionally doesn't give a lot of money to higher education so that OOS number is likely to remain high. Definitely apply to CU, it's an awesome school!! :)

Your MCAT is not low. You appear quite competitive if you ask me

Last edited:
A 30 is not a low MCAT. That is 2+ over the average of any DO school. Your GPA and MCAT combined make you very statistically competitive at DO schools and leave you with a good chance at MD schools if you apply well/broadly.
Just not in California MD programs.

Only on SDN a 30 MCAT is low... Seriously.

For the DO side apply to any of the state schools you want (barring MSU in my opinion because their tuition is exorbitant). You could also add DMU, KCUMB, CCOM, and PCOM if you care to. Make sure you have a DO letter of rec if any of them require it.

You should be set for MD though.