High hopes but realistic expectations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexrgross

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I have a 3.2 cGPA with a ~3.7 sGPA (honors)

MCAT 32R (retaking to score higher 4/11)

1 y Red Cross Youth Services
2 y Hospital volunteer
1 y Climate Justice Clubs
1 y French Language Club
8 months Free Clinic
Planned Trip to Africa for healthcare/community project (4 months)
1.5 years Research (w/ thesis, maybe published)
Clay work 1.5 years and piano (lessons when young and reacreationally, if they ask me I can play something nice at the interview :)

My GPA was around 2.5 or 3 for my first 5 years in college, for the last
3 years I have been around a 3.8 (my last y of undergrad and 2 y of post-bacc)

If you think I am not a realistic OP for USA allopathic, what else would you reccomend?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about lining up some SMP applications in parallel with my MD app. Is this wise?

I'd like to think that three years of excellent academic performance would override poor earlier grades. Being realistic, since we don't know the cGPA screening cutoffs for many schools, I think that applying for SMPs is an excellent backup plan if applying DO is not something you wish to consider, even if the MCAT retake turns out very well.

EC-wise, I'd hope that some US-physician shadowing is planned/completed. A peer leadership and/or teaching activity would be nice to see, too. The research, clinical experience, hobbies, and nonmedical community service look good. You might consider an application link to photos of some of your pottery projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I have a 3.2 cGPA with a ~3.7 sGPA (honors)

MCAT 32R (retaking to score higher 4/11)

1 y Red Cross Youth Services
2 y Hospital volunteer
1 y Climate Justice Clubs
1 y French Language Club
8 months Free Clinic
Planned Trip to Africa for healthcare/community project (4 months)
1.5 years Research (w/ thesis, maybe published)
Clay work 1.5 years and piano (lessons when young and reacreationally, if they ask me I can play something nice at the interview :)

My GPA was around 2.5 or 3 for my first 5 years in college, for the last
3 years I have been around a 3.8
(my last y of undergrad and 2 y of post-bacc)

If you think I am not a realistic OP for USA allopathic, what else would you reccomend?

I think you need to elaborate on this a bit before you can get more helpful advice. Why were you in undergrad for 6 years? and what were you doing for the 2 yrs post bacc? I'll leave the rest of the advice to the experts, but one think I can knowingly say is that you might want to reconsider retaking the MCAT unless you are absolutely positive you can do better. Wanting to retake to get a better score and balance out a low GPA is understandable, but if your score goes down on the retake, it will hurt you even more.

I think you need to elaborate on this a bit before you can get more helpful advice. Why were you in undergrad for 6 years? and what were you doing for the 2 yrs post bacc?

I started off junior college in 2001 and took off one semester for surgery. I failed two courses due to full time work, and had to repeat them. This delayed my university transfer until 2005 (would have applied in '04 except surgery). I started in winter 06 on my primary degree and finished in 08. I stayed one extra year 08-09 at that uni doing pre-reqs. Then I started post-bacc in 09 and have been in that since.

Ill know while re-taking the MCAT if I am performing better or worse(I missed some obvious ones). In case I hurt myself in the re-take Ill void. I know the 300 is expensive but a 35 would be worth the coin to me.

Shadowing is done (50 hrs). Do you think teaching orphans in Ethopia is a good teaching EC? or do you mean teaching Gen Chem or something?

Last edited: