High MCAT, Average GPA. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sojin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just got my scores back today for the June MCAT. I did much better than I expected and went from planning to take a year off to working on my application. Anyways here are my stats:
I am an undergrad at Ohio State studying Physics.

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.73

Score: 524 ( P/C 132, B 132, C 130, P/S 13)

EC:
30 Hours of volunteering at MICU
30 Hours of volunteering at SICU
20 Hours of volunteering at Hospital
2 Semesters of research at a biochemistry lab( Might get a paper published out of it)
6 Weeks research at a Cancer Institute( Paper published; however, there are 15 or so authors)
I’ve been shadowing a vascular surgeon and a cardio-surgeon over the past three weeks.

For LOR I have three strong ones ( From my biochem lab professor, the professor I worked with at Karmanos, and the MICU family coordinator). I might be able to get two more from my college professors but I”m not sure about that( 1 from psych and 1 from english).

I’ve only looked at MD schools, if I can’t get into any I’ll wait a year, and here’s my list:
U of Michigan
Ohio SU
Wayne State
Michigan SU

As I said I was planning on waiting a year so it’s a pretty short list. I’m unsure about which schools are in my range so any help with that would be appreciated! (I'm a Michigan resident)

One last thing, I came to the US 3 years ago after escaping war in m home country and my experience with the war played a large role in wanting to become a doctor. I was wondering if my experiences will help me with my application. Thanks again!

Edit: I've been getting messages about how I studied for the MCAT and I'm glad to help. So if you have any questions about that shoot me a message and I'll try my best to answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude, you can aim way higher. Your GPA is not all that low; your MCAT is huge. Definitely in the range of some top schools. You should definitely expand your list to include 15+ schools, majority of which can be top 20s. Additionally, it sounds like you have a very interesting story that would make a great personal statement.

I'll leave giving suggestions to @Goro He's the veteran.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow really? I thought my GPA and EC wouldn't be enough for top 20s.
I'll start looking into that. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it !

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow really? I thought my GPA and EC wouldn't be enough for top 20s.
I'll start looking into that. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it !

Your MCAT is in the 100th percentile, you have clinical experience, research experience w/ a pub, volunteering, and you're currently taking care of shadowing. I'm not an expert in making these lists (which is why I didn't provide any additions) but you have a lot of potential. Are you an URM?

Well I'm middle-eastern(Arab) and I heard that I should not apply as an URM since MEs are not underrepresented in medicine. Would you agree with that?

I'd like to see more volunteer work, OP. Especially non-clinical (and get off campus and out of your comfort zone) Most successful pre-meds have > 100 hrs clinical volunteering as well.

Consider:

U VA
U MI and all other schools in MI
U Colorado
U VM
IU
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my! Thank you Goro!
If you think that's the main concern, I'll work on finding non-clinical volunteer work soon and note that in my application. I really appreciate the help!

Congrats on the 524. If you have a publication, Stanford is a good school to consider as well: they love research. Wright State and NE Ohio should be on your app as safeties: note that Ohio State allegedly has no in-state bias (although these schools do)

Thank you! I appreciate the help, I'll keep that in mind :D!

Congrats on the 524. If you have a publication, Stanford is a good school to consider as well: they love research. Wright State and NE Ohio should be on your app as safeties: note that Ohio State allegedly has no in-state bias (although these schools do)

NE Ohio doesn't take OOS applicants.

What do you mean by short list? 10 schools? Why short? If it is due to something like finances and you really can only apply to ten or so here is one way I might go about it.

Really do try and build that volunteer experience, it matters alot.

The Ones you Really Need:
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
University of Michigan

You could also add Oakland or Western Michigan here if you want.

The Mid Tiers:
Emory USC Case Western Rochester Einstein Ohio State Wisconsin Boston U
Pick maybe 2-3 from here

The Reaches:
Pitt Northwestern Vanderbilt Mt Sinai NYU Columbia Duke

Pick maybe 4-5 reaches. Note I listed the first ones I would look into if I were you for reaches(if you want you could maybe call them the most "realistic" but ehh) OP, but basically anything except for maybe the absolute top of the top tiers(Harvard/Penn/WASHU esque) are in play. If you are very content to go to your state schools perhaps replace some of the mid tiers with more reaches; its your call. I would keep the first four schools though no matter what.

Add all Michigan schools, then aim high + add some mid-tiers.

Your GPA is perfectly in range for the top tiers, and your MCAT is killer.