High MCAT, Low GPA, Do I Need SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitcoatsyndrom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've applied and gotten into all of the big name SMP programs for a gap year (I'll end up choosing Georgetown or Cincinnati if I decide to do it). My stats are:

Will graduate with a 3.2 GPA, 3.06 math/sci gpa, strong upward trend from sophomore year.
3 years biochem research, published
Biology Major
Some amount of clinical volunteer experience, plan on getting more
Lots of other volunteer experience, including leadership positions in the community
MCAT: PS: 13, VR: 12, BS:12, writing: R composite: 37R, taken one time
I have not previously applied to any medical schools.

My GPA is pretty low, perhaps too low, which is why I am sort of under the impression that to be competitive, I need an SMP to prove myself. I am a VA resident so there are really no "safe schools" for me as far as in-state goes. The gamble I face is that if I do not get in by applying early (like, now), then I need to take a year to work, then do an smp, then get into medschool...ouch. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your thoughts on DO schools? I think you would be good to go for DO schools. You can also try applying to some low tier MD schools.

What are your thoughts on DO schools? I think you would be good to go for DO schools. You can also try applying to some low tier MD schools.

What are the low tier MD schools?

Hmm...I would go to MDapplicants.com and search for profiles within a certain low gpa range and research the schools they these applicants applied to. Also, I would see whether the applicants were state residents to the schools they received interviews from. I would try applying to the schools that consistently appear to be applied to by these low gpa applicants...just my 2 cents here :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up committing to the University of Cincinnati MS in Physiology program (SMP). Although I would not mind a "low tier" MD program, I would rather spend another year in school, better prepare myself for M1, and greatly raise my chances of acceptance into a mid-tier school. This is certainly a bit of a cost burden, but hopefully the investment in myself will pay off in the end!