• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

high mcat low gpa med school

samwinsalot

Jun 6, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    I have a low overall GPA and a high mcat. I did show a very strong upward trend in my GPA though. I earned an A in all prerequisite science courses. I would like to be accepted into some type of US MD school.

Overal GPA(186 credits): 2.6
    Science GPA: 3.6

Post-bac (60 credits): 4.0

MCAT: 516 (95th percentile; equivalent to 35)

Clinical Experience: Little to none

Helpful Work Experience: organic chemistry tutor hired by college, calculus TA, Kaplan MCAT Instructor and work for a non-for-profit progressive action organization.

w0rldw3y3d

7+ Year Member
    Jan 8, 2013
    1. Medical Student
      The combination of "little to no" clinical experience and the 2.6 gap may hurt pretty badly. I would beef up the clinical exposure by shadowing, scribing, or something. You have already done all that can be done to repair your GPA at this point, but you could always write about why your GPA was low, how you corrected it, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

samwinsalot

Jun 6, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        The combination of "little to no" clinical experience and the 2.6 gap may hurt pretty badly. I would beef up the clinical exposure by shadowing, scribing, or something. You have already done all that can be done to repair your GPA at this point, but you could always write about why your GPA was low, how you corrected it, etc.
        Thanks for the advice.
        My GPA is mostly bad from about 9-10 years ago when I first started school. I had a GPA of 0.93 at my first school. Those were dark days and I had no direction and didn't care.

About the Ads

w0rldw3y3d

7+ Year Member
        Jan 8, 2013
        1. Medical Student
          Thanks for the advice.
          My GPA is mostly bad from about 9-10 years ago when I first started school. I had a GPA of 0.93 at my first school. Those were dark days and I had no direction and didn't care.

Exactly, which means you have overcome adversity. You should have no problem answering the most difficult essay for most when it comes time to apply.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.