High MCAT/Low GPA URM... Any recommendations for schools? URM, 519, 2.9x sGPA 3.3 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justtryingmybest123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello yall. I am applying very broadly but would appreciate any recommendations with regard to schools that may be more open to my application! I have already done 1-year of DIY post-bacc and realistically do not want to do another year for financial concerns.

Major: Psychology
Research: 600 hours in Psychology lab doing cultural competency research (w/ 1 middle author pub, and interviewing patient families on their experiences while still in ICU rooms), 200 hours separate course project with poster presentation and research symposium.
Clinical volunteer: ~150 hours mainly in military patient transportation
Non-clinical volunteer: 500 hours Senior Citizen Center, 100 hours Food Bank, 50 hours community volunteer program, 400 hours university special needs service org, 200 hours special needs organization (hometown), 50 hours boys and girls club
Leadership: President of Special-Needs volunteer service organization, Taught an official course in partnership with university as a senior on "The History of Sports", Head Organizer of university's orientation, University Wellbeing Adviser & Wellbeing Orientation Leader, Associate Justice on College Court for integrity,
Shadowing: ~60 hours in various specialties, including one very strong LOR, ~60 hours in medical brigade
Employment: ~800 hours in University Student Maintenance, ~500 hours in MCAT course instruction with a test prep company
Other: University award for Dedication to campus, main hobby is weightlifting (~2000+ hours), Captain/Coach of Intramural basketball team
MCAT: 519 (130/129/128/132)
GPA: 3.3cGPA, 2.9x sGPA (Major upward trend starting junior year, including one year of DIY post-bacc with 30 credits and 4.0)
School: T-20 undergraduate, though I recognize it will in no way excuse my GPA.
Demographics: 23yo, URM (Mexican-American), medically underserved and working-class home
Residence: Texas

I have applied pretty broadly to all TMDSAS schools and quite a few AMCAS schools, but would love to know if y'all think I have any shot whatsoever at any low or mid-tier MD schools, or whether I am wasting my time trying. I would love to end up at any of the Texas MD's, but I know they tend to weigh GPA pretty heavily which makes me think my freshman/sophomore year struggles in science courses are going to doom my application. Additionally, if you have any schools you think would be especially open to my application, please let me know! (Particularly interested in working with underserved and Hispanic communities)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest all these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
U Colorado
Kaiser
Also apply to DO schools and include these:
TCOM
SHSU-COM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
LECOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest all these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
U Colorado
Kaiser
Also apply to DO schools and include these:
TCOM
SHSU-COM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
LECOM (all schools)

@Faha added several of the schools you listed, thank-you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you do to score so high on C/P? That’s amazing

My worst subjects in undergraduate were... chemistry and physics, and are the main reason for my abysmal sGPA (~2.5ish after graduation, before post-bacc). As such, they were kind of a high point of emphasis for me on the MCAT, I essentially relearned all of the fundamentals of chemistry and physics from scratch using the Khan Academy videos as my primary guide. I think most of my development came from uWorld though, where any time I made a mistake in my work or did not understand the content, I would spend several hours on YouTube watching different versions of that lesson and ensuring I had mastered it before continuing, and creating Anki/Word doc notes on these subjects to further reinforce learning. More than anything though, I really tried to take every mistake on all practice material, every wrong answer on AAMC FL's, all as learning opportunities. That, in combination with learning math shortcuts (especially in units, and estimating on the MCAT) is what I think allowed me to do especially well in C/P despite really being terrible at the subjects in actuality.

Reactions: 1 user