MD High MCAT, Low GPA :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatdoggo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.47 (upward trend)
  2. MCAT: 524 (131/131/132/130)
  3. CA

4. LAC

5. 2 summers researching, 1 co-first author pub and 2 second author pubs (low-impact), 1 poster presentation
  6. Shadowed Family Medicine 40 hours, Sports Medicine 40 hours
  7. 300 hours tutoring low-income youth
  8. Leadership position at college newspaper, community liason for engineering club, student adviser to pre-med first years
Been working as an MCAT tutor in my gap year, got offered a paid position as a medical assistant and a volunteer position as a clinical research assistant this week and tryna decide which way to go. I could keep tutoring with the research position so money's not a big factor.

My big question is if I would be competitive at the UC's or any major research institutions. I'd appreciate any advice!!

*to clarify, I'm applying pretty broadly but I am interested in research and/or staying in CA if at all possible

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You could do a DIY post bacc and take some upper division bio classes to boost your GPA over the 3.5 mark, would probably require 2 quarters of a full time schedule though.

You could do a DIY post bacc and take some upper division bio classes to boost your GPA over the 3.5 mark, would probably require 2 quarters of a full time schedule though.
Thanks! Hoping to apply next cycle, but if things look grim I'll def do a postbac. Wish I'd done it this past year but hindsight is 20/20.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 524 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at, but you're below the 10th %ile for the UCs, except maybe UCD or UCI. I don't think that the overseas volunteering will count, and it might even be viewed as medical tourism.

Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own, but above the 10th%ile. Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. Include DO schools on your list because beggars can't be choosy.

IF you have a strong rising GPA trend, that is a very good thing.

1. cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.47 (upward trend)
  2. MCAT: 524 (131/131/132/130)
  3. CA
  4. Asian
  5. Top 40 LAC
  6. Volunteered abroad in NGO hospital (not sure if this counts as clinical volunteering)
  7. 2 summers researching, 1 co-first author pub and 2 second author pubs (low-impact), 1 poster presentation
  8. Shadowed Family Medicine 40 hours, Sports Medicine 40 hours
  9. 300 hours tutoring low-income youth
  10. Leadership position at college newspaper, community liason for engineering club, student adviser to pre-med first years
  11. No honors or awards lol
  12. English major, math minor
Been working as an MCAT tutor in my gap year, got offered a paid position as a medical assistant and a volunteer position as a clinical research assistant this week and tryna decide which way to go. I could keep tutoring with the research position so money's not a big factor.

My big question is if I would be competitive at the UC's or any major research institutions. I'd appreciate any advice!!

*to clarify, I'm applying pretty broadly but I am interested in research and/or staying in CA if at all possible

So staying in California may be difficult but I am going to sharply disagree that you need to apply to DO schools. If you apply to enough schools you won't have a problem getting accepted somewhere.

Can you guys let me know what you think I should do?

My final cGPA is gonna end up being 3.4 or just under depending on how I do next quarter. Physiology & Neuroscience Major @ucsd and I've applied to the Atlantic Bridge Program which is for Canadian and American students to study medicine in Ireland. The program helps match you to a residency in the states. Ill hear back from them soon and I have a couple offers to do a master's degree in neuroscience in the UK.
I would much rather go to to an american medical school but is that possible even if I score well on the MCAT?
And if the MCAT by itself is not enough would those master's programs help?
Should I just go to med school in Ireland if I get it because its hard for foreign grads to practice here?

You should really talk to a premed advisor but it is possible to get into American med schools (espec DO) with a 3.4 gpa. DO would be a much better option than foreign medical school. If you're set on MD you would improve your chances by doing a post bacc and/or acing the MCAT. Look up the AAMC MCAT/GPA tables for MD acceptance stats, and the match data tables for MD, DO, and IMG applicants for residency stats.

My final cGPA is gonna end up being 3.4 or just under depending on how I do next quarter. Physiology & Neuroscience Major @ucsd and I've applied to the Atlantic Bridge Program which is for Canadian and American students to study medicine in Ireland. The program helps match you to a residency in the states. Ill hear back from them soon and I have a couple offers to do a master's degree in neuroscience in the UK.
I would much rather go to to an american medical school but is that possible even if I score well on the MCAT?
Should I just go to med school in Ireland if I get it because its hard for foreign grads to practice here?

Do not apply to an offshore school if your goal is to practice in the US.
You really need your own thread. This one is OP's.

hey gyngyn, since you're here any chance of your perspective on my UC chances? I know what the MSAR says, it's just hard to interpret since my stats are so unbalanced. Since I posted this thread I've started working as a health coach btw.