High MCAT score with unfinished preqs questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A buddy if mine scored really well on the MCAT last month he scored a 520. He has not finished the preqs yet I believe he had 4 or 5 left but wanted to apply for the upcoming cycle. He wishes to begin in the fall of 2019. Anyways. He has some extracurrcular activities here and there and has a GPA of 3.5 so far. I'm thinking he has a chance of getting in a school and that the school that accepts him tells him to finish a couple of those courses before matriculation. He spoke to an advisor and she was iffy on applying really didn' give him great feedback so that he could make a great decison. I could be wrong so here I am wishing to here some advice from other applicants.
Bear in mind that he is a minority and doesn' care about ivy league or top notch schools. He just wants to start med school. I noticed that he Is straight down to the point. He just hates the classes he needs to take because they take too much time. Some biology courses talk about evolution and animal physiology which he finds counterproductive to his goal. Anyways I hope this post isn't condescending to any hard working success seeking students/applicants here.
My buddy has aspergers and is very intelligent, and has a drive to be successful but doesn't want to waste time getting to med school, he really wants to start and I think his GPA and MCAT score show that he is ready to get down to business. Right???

Members don't see this ad.

Prerequisite classes need to be completed before you matriculate. They do not need to be completed before applying. There should be a plan in place to finish those classes before matriculating and should not depend on the medical schools to tell him to do it. If the classes are not completed, an acceptance can be rescinded.

I will also say that there are red-flags all over this post that make me wary. Medical training is long and patience is as much a requirement as a decent MCAT score. Certainly without further details it is difficult to advise or really quantify, but given the density, felt it had to be said.

Reactions: 4 users
A buddy if mine scored really well on the MCAT last month he scored a 520. He has not finished the preqs yet I believe he had 4 or 5 left but wanted to apply for the upcoming cycle. He wishes to begin in the fall of 2019. Anyways. He has some extracurrcular activities here and there and has a GPA of 3.5 so far. I'm thinking he has a chance of getting in a school and that the school that accepts him tells him to finish a couple of those courses before matriculation. He spoke to an advisor and she was iffy on applying really didn' give him great feedback so that he could make a great decison. I could be wrong so here I am wishing to here some advice from other applicants.
Bear in mind that he is a minority and doesn' care about ivy league or top notch schools. He just wants to start med school. I noticed that he Is straight down to the point. He just hates the classes he needs to take because they take too much time. Some biology courses talk about evolution and animal physiology which he finds counterproductive to his goal. Anyways I hope this post isn't condescending to any hard working success seeking students/applicants here.
My buddy has aspergers and is very intelligent, and has a drive to be successful but doesn't want to waste time getting to med school, he really wants to start and I think his GPA and MCAT score show that he is ready to get down to business. Right???

The bolded are contradictory.

Agree with the wise mimelim that your friend has tons of red flags. Is his goal getting into medical school, or being a doctor? From your post, it seems like the former, with little regard to the latter.

Reactions: 1 users