High number of BCPM units... will SMP still help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just calculated my entire BCPM GPA including every single university class I have ever taken and it's a 3.03 with 177 BCPM units. (142 of those units were from my undergrad) ... Also I took and failed a university chemistry course in the summer after sophomore year of high school.... I'm supposed to include this too right?

This is a large number of credits and if I do a program at like Boston, Tufts, or Georgetown. Will the number of credits I will achieve there have enough of an effect? I read in another thread that the combined BCPM from SMP and ugrad should be at least a 3.40 for it to be worth it and I just don't think I can get it up that high.

Is it still worth it for me or should I just apply Carib/DO this year? I am taking MCATs April 23rd so I don't have an MCAT score yet, but I've been scoring 30+ on my last 2 practices.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just calculated my entire BCPM GPA including every single university class I have ever taken and it's a 3.03 with 175 BCPM units. (142 of those units were from my undergrad) ... My undergrad cumul

This is a large number of credits and if I do a program at like Boston, Tufts, or Georgetown. Will the number of credits I will achieve there have enough of an effect? I read in another thread that the combined BCPM from SMP and ugrad should be at least a 3.40 for it to be worth it and I just don't think I can get it up that high.

Is it still worth it for me or should I just apply Carib/DO this year? I am taking MCATs April 23rd so I don't have an MCAT score yet, but I've been scoring 30+ on my last 2 practices.

I'm tired so I'll keep this very short.

Your 175 BCPM units are undergraduate work

If you attend a Masters program like BU MAMs, Tufts MBS, or GTown SMP, it will go on your graduate GPA and not your UG GPA.

If the SMP you attend is a reputable one, it will include many if not most of the courses that MS1s will take and be taken with the students in some occasions. I would imagine, Adcoms would regard this highly since those programs you name dropped boast quite a high success %age.

Unless that thread you quoted was from an Adcom or school admin I wouldn't even consider it. I have heard nothing of that sort, maybe other people in SDN have.

I read in another thread that the combined BCPM from SMP and ugrad should be at least a 3.40 for it to be worth it and I just don't think I can get it up that high.
What?!?!? Link please.

AMCAS won't do this combination - undergrad and grad are calculated separately. The "M" in "SMP" means grad school. If there's some med school that does this kind of combination, that sounds pretty specific to one school.

The whole point of an SMP is that it can be a highly relevant counterexample to a low cumulative undergrad GPA.

It's very late to be applying to SMPs that have good results.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to my post where I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to do a SMP if your cGPA was 3.4 or above?

As others have mentioned, smp gpa isn't averaged with your ug gpa bc it's graduate gpa.

Edit: wow there's so much misinformation in that post I don't even know where to start. I'd take advice about postbac in general found outside this subforum with a huge grain of salt.

I just calculated my entire BCPM GPA including every single university class I have ever taken and it's a 3.03 with 177 BCPM units. (142 of those units were from my undergrad) ... Also I took and failed a university chemistry course in the summer after sophomore year of high school.... I'm supposed to include this too right?

Edit: wow there's so much misinformation in that post I don't even know where to start. I'd take advice about postbac in general found outside this subforum with a huge grain of salt.
Agreed and even then depending on the source, its still worth taking it with a grain of salt.

As already beaten to death, grad and undergrad credits are recorded differently

Agreed and even then depending on the source, its still worth taking it with a grain of salt.

As already beaten to death, grad and undergrad credits are recorded differently

Apparently even being "beaten to death" status isn't good enough if this subforum of SDN is still getting this type of thread. Again, I'm not aiming this at the OP but just venting some frustration. If only people would follow e-forum etiquette and look at the stickied threads...

Jslo - you are asking people to read threads or use a search function...

Thats a bit much! lol

Jslo - you are asking people to read threads or use a search function...

Thats a bit much! lol
Amen!

JK. I have heard this too, but I have just applied to SMPs, am studying for MCAT, and applying to carib/DO this year... I justt get a bit paranoid.