High Point University Workman School of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paris20

Reaction score
I've been looking into High Point's program and they have some appealing plans, but I am applying this cycle which means that I would be in their first cohort if I were to attend their school. Also, their dental building most likely won't be finished until I am a D2.

Does anyone know much about this new school? If you go to high point currently as an undergrad student, how do you like it? What is the city of High Point, NC like?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been looking into High Point's program and they have some appealing plans, but I am applying this cycle which means that I would be in their first cohort if I were to attend their school. Also, their dental building most likely won't be finished until I am a D2.

Does anyone know much about this new school? If you go to high point currently as an undergrad student, how do you like it? What is the city of High Point, NC like?
The biggest red flag to me is that they don’t require the dat......

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is that a red flag?
Because it’s clearly stating they don’t really care about who they let in as long as you can pay.

63511C5E-83AC-4CAE-89D8-560ABEBC6443.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 18 users
Because it’s clearly stating they don’t really care about who they let in as long as you can pay.

View attachment 355822

Big Hoss
I get that part of it, but realistically they’re taking 60 students, I doubt they look over the 1,000s of applicants and pick out 2.5 gpa people. I bet they end up with the average of 3.5 gpa and those 60 ppl would score well on the DAT if they took it or if they were to take it.

I get that part of it, but realistically they’re taking 60 students, I doubt they look over the 1,000s of applicants and pick out 2.5 gpa people. I bet they end up with the average of 3.5 gpa and those 60 ppl would score well on the DAT if they took it or if they were to take it.
They’ll take whoever just to fill their class. Trust me. Anyone with decent stats would be out of their mind to go here over cheaper and established programs.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 13 users
They’ll take whoever just to fill their class. Trust me. Anyone with decent stats would be out of their mind to go here over cheaper and established programs.

Big Hoss
That makes sense, hadn’t thought of that angle 👍🏻.

I spoke to some dentists I work with about this, and the common consensus is “don’t.” They wouldn't have ironed out their programs yet, and you would basically be the first year guinea pigs. So unless you are not a competitive applicant, and you applied to a lot of schools, and HP was the only school you got into, then maybe go there, but you should have casted your net a bit better.

Reactions: 1 users
You just can't make that assumption. The thing about GPA is that it's not really standardized across US. There are hard or GPA deflating schools while there are easy schools. I have seen people with really great GPA get very low DAT score. I'm someone who believes DAT is the better indicator than GPA just because it's standardized.

Reactions: 7 users
You just can't make that assumption. The thing about GPA is that it's not really standardized across US. There are hard or GPA deflating schools while there are easy schools. I have seen people with really great GPA get very low DAT score. I'm someone who believes DAT is the better indicator than GPA just because it's standardized.
I can agree with you on that, but I’d also like to add to what you said. Just because someone can take a test well and they have a high DAT score, doesn’t mean they’ll be a capable dentist either.

Not a lot of math, GC, or OC involved in prepping a crown. Don’t misunderstand me though, no one wants an incompetent doctor in any field, but I have always found it strange to place so much emphasis on acceptance on something that honestly overall just doesn’t apply to the real world application of the skills learned in school.

I know I’ll get blown up for that, and people are going to jump in and say schools need to make sure you can handle the curriculum etc…

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can agree with you on that, but I’d also like to add to what you said. Just because someone can take a test well and they have a high DAT score, doesn’t mean they’ll be a capable dentist either.

Not a lot of math, GC, or OC involved in prepping a crown. Don’t misunderstand me though, no one wants an incompetent doctor in any field, but I have always found it strange to place so much emphasis on acceptance on something that honestly overall just doesn’t apply to the real world application of the skills learned in school.

I know I’ll get blown up for that, and people are going to jump in and say schools need to make sure you can handle the curriculum etc…
I don’t necessarily disagree that GC or OC is not involved in crown prepping. But there is a lot more to get through in dental school than crown prepping that has to be considered.

There also has to be some sort of objective measurement across schools for all students

Reactions: 6 users

It’s not a city. It’s a rural area. Right outside Greensboro. High Point University kind of came out of nowhere. I’m not sure who is funding it or where their endowments are coming from, but they have a ton of money and it’s a very nice campus.

NC does NOT need another dental school. They DO need dentists in rural areas. So they opened ECU about 10 years ago. But as expected, a lot of ECU grads are going to cities. Because that’s where people want to live. High Point isn’t looking to fulfill any state needs. And I’m not sure how it will effect NC saturation since it’s 100% private. But it just seems it’s a school that’s in it to make money. If a school opens and doesn’t provide a quota of “state seats” then we know why they opened. Will it be an ok dental school…maybe. Will it close down the road….maybe. But I just don’t support new dental schools that don’t prioritize or support state needs.

Reactions: 5 users
The school isn't even accredited yet. Probably not the best choice unless its someones only option

Reactions: 4 users
What!? Another School!? They keep popping up

Please keep in mind that if you go this school (or any new school), your chances of specializing are almost 0.05% to none. Residency programs are always skeptical about brand new programs that they have never heard of, have no accreditation, no graduated class, no reference of, no nothing. If you go to this program, you need to be absolutely 100% okay with the idea of being a General Dentist. Otherwise you are going to find yourself disappointed and with a lot of debt…

It’s not a city. It’s a rural area. Right outside Greensboro. High Point University kind of came out of nowhere. I’m not sure who is funding it or where their endowments are coming from, but they have a ton of money and it’s a very nice campus.

NC does NOT need another dental school. They DO need dentists in rural areas. So they opened ECU about 10 years ago. But as expected, a lot of ECU grads are going to cities. Because that’s where people want to live. High Point isn’t looking to fulfill any state needs. And I’m not sure how it will effect NC saturation since it’s 100% private. But it just seems it’s a school that’s in it to make money. If a school opens and doesn’t provide a quota of “state seats” then we know why they opened. Will it be an ok dental school…maybe. Will it close down the road….maybe. But I just don’t support new dental schools that don’t prioritize or support state needs.
ive heard rick workman opened the school to supply his own heartland's shortage of dds

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Has there been anyone applying to this new program? If so, have you heard anything back if you are doing the Early Commitment Option? Thank you!

(I'm just asking for anyone applying and if they heard back. I'm not asking for any rude comments about how this is a new school, Thanks!)

Program is going to be a joke lol.

high point sucks, worked there for a year and surrounding area another 2 years high crime rate etc.

Has there been anyone applying to this new program? If so, have you heard anything back if you are doing the Early Commitment Option? Thank you!

(I'm just asking for anyone applying and if they heard back. I'm not asking for any rude comments about how this is a new school, Thanks!)
Have you heard back from them? I would also like to know from anyone who is applying to this program this cycle :) thanks!

When is step 2 going to released? I applied , patiently waiting to hear back .

Hi! I applied for the early commitment option. How is your application process going?

Hi! I applied for the early commitment option. How is your application process going?
Their inaugural class is slated for 2024 now.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This school is a scam... why are you even bother applying here?

This school is a scam... why are you even bother applying here?
I love how people go onto SDN to learn about dental schools, the process of applying, etcetera... and OG's will post on how it is such a bad idea to go to this school or that school, and will back it up with numbers too... and what do us pre-dents do? Ignore it all. Well, some of us.

• Haha
USC, NYU, and even LECOM as I saw are also scams since they charge really high Tuition and paying that all back will take at least 20 years HAHA. I know people that went there and say its hard to get in to those. They are not, they need people that is why to pay Really high tuition and nobody even now due to inflation will even go to these schools. LECOM has hidden fees. I am sure that people are lying 95 percent of the time

USC, NYU, and even LECOM as I saw are also scams since they charge really high Tuition and paying that all back will take at least 20 years HAHA. I know people that went there and say its hard to get in to those. They are not, they need people that is why to pay Really high tuition and nobody even now due to inflation will even go to these schools. LECOM has hidden fees. I am sure that people are lying 95 percent of the time
At the end of the day, you get the same degree and credentials and ability to get licensed. The earning power won't be any more if you go into bigger debt at a costlier school. So why do it? I just don't understand sometimes.

Sure, some schools MAY better prepare you clinically, but that could probably only be short-term advantages. In a long-term situation, people will probably eventually even out, and may have to do more at where you work and what you do on a day-to-day basis than what clinical advantages certain schools may have offered.

At the end of the day, you get the same degree and credentials and ability to get licensed. The earning power won't be any more if you go into bigger debt at a costlier school. So why do it? I just don't understand sometimes.

Sure, some schools MAY better prepare you clinically, but that could probably only be short-term advantages. In a long-term situation, people will probably eventually even out, and may have to do more at where you work and what you do on a day-to-day basis than what clinical advantages certain schools may have offered.
Because pre-dents will continue to believe that becoming a dentist gives a luxurious lifestyle, no matter the price. Just as long as they receive a DDS/DMD. By then the warnings of attending schools that will leave them half a million dollars in debt will finally be realized. Not to mention the students who will be attending newer private schools such as this one as guinea pigs. No accreditation, only terrible things said about them on here and elsewhere, as well as being ungodly expensive, and I guarantee dozens of people will read this thread and still apply to this school.

I guarantee dozens of people will read this thread and still apply to this school.
I agree with you. On this very thread, there are established dentists with good track records on this forum who are literally saying do not do it (apply here), and in the SAME conversation of this thread, we see pre-dents talking about their application process to this school. Completely baffling. Like do you not feel cringe-y, even low-key embarrassed for yourself, admitting that you applied here DESPITE the mountain of evidence telling you that it's a terrible idea? I understand that this is an anonymous space, but still...

On this very thread, there are established dentists with good track records on this forum who are literally saying do not do it (apply here), and in the SAME conversation of this thread, we see pre-dents talking about their application process to this school. Completely baffling.
Big Hoss: Do not go half a million dollars or more into debt to become dentist.

Predents:
E025010D-D46A-473C-A1E1-1D84094D703B.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
They’ll take whoever just to fill their class. Trust me.
The other night LECOM sent me a few emails about applying to their school. I didn't apply through AADSAS nor did I send them my DAT scores when I took the test. If I was a bit more clueless, I might've thought to myself "hey, they're emailing me out of the blue, maybe I should apply, couldn't hurt." Anything to get their app fees, though, am I right?

The other thing I see once in a while, either here or on Reddit, I forget exactly, is when people post that they applied to x number of schools, all of them said no and their safety choice (say, NYU) was the only one they applied to that accepted them, and now they're hesitant to go due to the costs. They then post asking the possibility of declining and applying next year. Like, WHY did you apply to a school that 1) you KNEW was outrageously expensive and 2) you had no desire to go there in the first place? Utter madness.

Big Hoss: Do not go half a million dollars or more into debt to become dentist.
I remember seeing one of your posts about the interest on loans like that is around $50k a year or something like that? Regardless, that's more than some Americans make IN A YEAR. And we're considered a rich country when compared on a global scale. Like do people not read that number and stop to think its implications?

Because pre-dents will continue to believe that becoming a dentist gives a luxurious lifestyle, no matter the price. Just as long as they receive a DDS/DMD. By then the warnings of attending schools that will leave them half a million dollars in debt will finally be realized. Not to mention the students who will be attending newer private schools such as this one as guinea pigs. No accreditation, only terrible things said about them on here and elsewhere, as well as being ungodly expensive, and I guarantee dozens of people will read this thread and still apply to this school.
That is literally the smae with LECOM and USC and NYU, I would say NYU USC and LECOM are more than half a million dollars even worse than any other dental schools. They gradaute and have such an ego that they are a doctor, are tall in height, and have a good wife. Like getting a wife is NOT NOT HARD> second, getting tall isnt either you just have to eat and excersie which anybody can do NOT HARD, HOWEVER gettting into debt is the easiest HAHAHA, USC and NYU/ LECOM are the worst schools a person goes that is why they have more international students than USA studetns think why? HAHA

• Haha
That is literally the smae with LECOM and USC and NYU, I would say NYU USC and LECOM are more than half a million dollars even worse than any other dental schools. They gradaute and have such an ego that they are a doctor, are tall in height, and have a good wife. Like getting a wife is NOT NOT HARD> second, getting tall isnt either you just have to eat and excersie which anybody can do NOT HARD, HOWEVER gettting into debt is the easiest HAHAHA, USC and NYU/ LECOM are the worst schools a person goes that is why they have more international students than USA studetns think why? HAHA
If you're going to troll at least be funny like the almighty @bigtimehoosier

• Haha
NYU you have around 650 k to 700k in debt once you graduate and USC you have around 550k at least before even any interest, that is MORE than half a million dummy. I am not trolling either go check for yourself.

View attachment 355822

Big Hoss

View attachment 355822

Big Hoss
Lol what? You're making it seem like doing good on the DAT means you'll be a great dentist. There's literally nothing on the DAT that gets used in the profession. At that point it's whether or not you can do the job.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Lol what? You're making it seem like doing good on the DAT means you'll be a great dentist. There's literally nothing on the DAT that gets used in the profession. At that point it's whether or not you can do the job.
I don't think that is at all what they're trying to say. More like every dental school has a standardized process to apply, and that includes a test (DAT). If they don't require it, then really, they are just lowering standards for admission. All these schools are popping up for one reason only: it is becoming more and more profitable to operate a dental school year after year, damn the consequences for the dental field. But hey, what do I know...

You're making it seem like doing good on the DAT means you'll be a great dentist.

I never even implied that. Doing well on the DAT and having a good GPA means you can go to a "real" school, not a diploma-mill school like this. I literally posted the following:

Big Hoss

Big Hoss